"Bump"

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
"Bump" Know what that means in the context of Internet message boards? If you have any experience at all with message boards, you will know that, when someone wants to revive an old thread that has found its way off the main thread page, they will enter a post into the thread, which moves ("bumps") it back, onto the main page in the number one position.

If they are doing it blatantly, they will simply put "Bump" into the post and enter it. If they want to use a bit more tact, they will actually enter some halfway meaningful text into the post before entering it.

Why do I bring up this entire, dreary subject, I hear you cry . . .

Because I just noticed something. You hardle EVER see anyone bumping threads here at USMB. By contrast, at the message board I belonged to before coming here (the one named after and sponsored by a very well known, right-wing, talk show host, dickwad whose last name begins with the letter "H"), you saw this done all the time. It was very common.

I wonder why there and not here?

(Respond to this thread only if you are all done rearranging your sock drawer and literally have nothing else to do.)

Last edited:
Well double check, but I could swear I read once that bumping threads was against the rules.

btw George..Im familiar with bumping threads. From my old galaxy I came from, bumping was encouraged UNLESS it was for troll reasons.

That place would make this place look like kindergarten. And thats why Im so mellow here. Its nice, even when everyone is bickering.

It isn't so.
I just checked the rules, I don't see anything about bumping. But at some point I got the impression that it was against the rules.

Just taking a minute to hug Ollie. Havent seen ya around and I miss you, dude.

It isn't so.
I just checked the rules, I don't see anything about bumping. But at some point I got the impression that it was against the rules.
Thanks. I was looking, too because of your post. I didn't see it. It would have surprised me if I had, to be honest.

Just taking a minute to hug Ollie. Havent seen ya around and I miss you, dude.

Oh I'm here everyday somewhere. maybe not on the same threads at the same time...

But anyway,
hugs05-446cc35671126ad37759657dddf7c764.jpg

"Bump" Know what that means in the context of Internet message boards? If you have any experience at all with message boards, you will know that, when someone wants to revive an old thread that has found its way off the main thread page, they will enter a post into the thread, which moves ("bumps") it back, onto the main page in the number one position.

If they are doing it blatantly, they will simply put "Bump" into the post and enter it. If they want to use a bit more tact, they will actually enter some halfway meaningful text into the post before entering it.

Because I just noticed something. You hardle EVER see anyone bumping threads here at USMB. By contrast, at the message board I belonged to before coming here (the one named after and sponsored by a very well known, right-wing, talk show host, dickwad whose last name begins with the letter "H"), you saw this done all the time. It was very common.

(Respond to this thread only if you are all done rearranging your sock drawer and literally have nothing else to do.)

There are a plethora of threads and plenty of bona fide responses; a bumped topic will disappear in short order and it's hardly worth the effort. You could've figured that out for yourself, George. Starting a thread to ask that question is on a par with bumping for it's desperation; eh?

Funny you should bring this up...there is only one poster here that I'm aware of that bumps his threads because no one responds to them and I'm pretty sure he is very active at that H forum.

:lol:

It's one thing to bump a thread that someone else authored, which you find interesting. Nothing wrong with that.

But for the AUTHOR of a thread to then come along and bump it when it drops off the first page, well, what kind of TOOL would do something like that?

YEAH!!! :ack-1:

Forum List

Back