Bullies Are a Cancer on Schools.

Mr. P said:
Without DOUBT girls are the absolute worst. I never heard of such nasty stuff from boys. Girls are evil BITCHES! What’s with that?
I never could get it. I could never catch on to all the politics.

Abbey Normal said:
They were probably jelaous of you, Mom. Jealousy is often the reason behind inexplicably bad behavior.
I wish I'd gone to high school with you, Abbey!

Possible causes:

Stupid parents who never grew up, who give birth to kids that are ADHD, etc..

Kids that should have never been born, being sent to public schools cause they, the parents, administrators, etc..,,, use the schools as day care.

The number of ill prepared kids in school isn't limited/specific to race. But, kids that are not ready to learn, no matter what their skin color or ethnic background, shouldn't be in school bothering those who do want an education.

Yes, I know I seem to be starting half the threads in this new education seciton, but my mom's a teacher and I'm a big believer in great education. Anyway, today's topic is bullies. Any of you who were ever in public school know this problem. For those who live under rocks, a bully is a particularly cruel person, usually under 18, who has some sort of power, usually physical, over another person or group of people, and who uses that power to make people miserable solely for the purpose of making them miserable. Anyway, here's the problems.

Creating a Culture of Failure - Blacks aren't the only ones whose own culture villifies those who succeed. High school has long been a center of misery for those who will one day run corporate America. Throughout high school, little social groups form. This isn't necissarily bad, but it isn't necissarily good, either. On the one hand, it's perfectly natural for people to hang out with similar people. It also helps people to be more social. However, some social groups attempt to lord over others. Everyone's mind is immediately filled with images of the 'jocks,' or athletes, and their constant, physicaly bullying of academically inclined people, typically labeled 'geeks' or 'nerds.' As true as this is, it's even worse for the girls. Those in the 'in' crowd are often known to spread horrible, embarrassing rumors about girls they don't like, some so bad that the girl has to transfer schools to avoid long lasting, psychological damage. With the internet, this happens even faster.

What this amounts to is this. The smart people, those who succeed in the areas that actually count in the real world, are in constant misery because of it. Because of this horrific reality, good grades are discouraged and many people are forced to decide between a miserable school life for succeeding and a miserable home life for failing. Bullies and their antics have even led to suicides and events such as Columbine. They are a blight upon society and a hinderance to the education problem. As both a victim and the son of a victim of constant schoolyard bullying, I feel this problem even more accutely than most.

If We Ignore It, Will It Go Away? - Of course not, you dope. Bullies are not always attempting to provoke a reaction, and while turning the other cheek sometimes works, it will often just give you two sore cheeks. To avoid our lawsuit crazy society, many schools will often ignore the bully problem, claiming that they can't do anything about it unless they see it, personally. At least, that's what they say until threatened with a lawsuit. In fact, some schools have gone so far as to equally punish both people in a fight, regardless of circumstances. Some even go so far as to let off the person who swung first and only punish the person who, in the legal world, is justified by the self-defense statutes. Public schools have become a breeding ground for the primitive, apelike mentality of rule by strength and fear, and something has got to change before even more kids, like myself, are permanently scarred by the incident.

As for me, I still have severe anger issues stemming from my time in public schools and my dealings with bullies, and I'm worried that they will someday get me in trouble.

There is a lot less bullying among school kids today than in decades past.

I see this thread started in 2006--a long time ago, before "CRT" and "DEI" and all the other buzzwords help public fascination, so many parents latched on to "bullying".

And true bullying is awful and destroys children's lives.

But here we are in 2022--the backlash to the focus on bullying. The backlash is: Parkland, Oxford, Uvalde, Highland Park.

Because when you ask kids to override their God-given instincts about other kids, that's gonna backfire spectacularly. And that's what bullying education has done. We have taught kids that it's not okay to have instincts that scream: "DANGER, STAY AWAY"...they have to be "tolerant" and "inclusive".

We have trained teachers to be milquetoast too. Again, teachers should never abide bullying in their classrooms. But if a student comes to a teacher and says a kid like the shooters above "isn't right"....maybe instead of correcting the student who reported, the teacher should attend to his/her OWN instincts.

Look here:

1657084745070.png

Here:

1657084827817.png

Here:

1657084910013.png

The truth is that not all young men who set off our spidey senses are dangerous. But maybe some of them ARE. And we need to take a step back from thinking everything is a bullying minefield and start paying more attention to our instincts.

^^^
And was revived yesterday, July 4, 2022.
The article I presented was from 2017. This is at the bottom of that link;
This post originally appeared on TED Ideas and was published October 25, 2017. This article is republished here with permission.
So did you read the article/link?
Here are the section titles in the link;

1. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness …​

2. … And telling someone about being bullied is not snitching.​

3. Surround yourself with allies.​

4. Try to pity, rather than hate, your bullies.​

5. It’s possible to triumph over bullies in your own mind.​

6. Focus on everything that’s great about you; others notice those things, too.​

7. The traits singled out by your bullies are the ones that make you the wonderfully singular person you are.​

8. If you’re considering retaliating against your bullies, stop before you act.​

9.If you ever witness someone being bullied, show them your support.

My perspective is that the "mass shooter" sorts you presented, likely were one that were bullied, not the ones doing the bullying.
Also, they didn't know how or couldn't counter-act the bullying they were receiving. Until sometime later in life, with a gun, and against the society/world.

Forum List

Back