Bullies Are a Cancer on Schools.

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Yes, I know I seem to be starting half the threads in this new education seciton, but my mom's a teacher and I'm a big believer in great education. Anyway, today's topic is bullies. Any of you who were ever in public school know this problem. For those who live under rocks, a bully is a particularly cruel person, usually under 18, who has some sort of power, usually physical, over another person or group of people, and who uses that power to make people miserable solely for the purpose of making them miserable. Anyway, here's the problems.

Creating a Culture of Failure - Blacks aren't the only ones whose own culture villifies those who succeed. High school has long been a center of misery for those who will one day run corporate America. Throughout high school, little social groups form. This isn't necissarily bad, but it isn't necissarily good, either. On the one hand, it's perfectly natural for people to hang out with similar people. It also helps people to be more social. However, some social groups attempt to lord over others. Everyone's mind is immediately filled with images of the 'jocks,' or athletes, and their constant, physicaly bullying of academically inclined people, typically labeled 'geeks' or 'nerds.' As true as this is, it's even worse for the girls. Those in the 'in' crowd are often known to spread horrible, embarrassing rumors about girls they don't like, some so bad that the girl has to transfer schools to avoid long lasting, psychological damage. With the internet, this happens even faster.

What this amounts to is this. The smart people, those who succeed in the areas that actually count in the real world, are in constant misery because of it. Because of this horrific reality, good grades are discouraged and many people are forced to decide between a miserable school life for succeeding and a miserable home life for failing. Bullies and their antics have even led to suicides and events such as Columbine. They are a blight upon society and a hinderance to the education problem. As both a victim and the son of a victim of constant schoolyard bullying, I feel this problem even more accutely than most.

If We Ignore It, Will It Go Away? - Of course not, you dope. Bullies are not always attempting to provoke a reaction, and while turning the other cheek sometimes works, it will often just give you two sore cheeks. To avoid our lawsuit crazy society, many schools will often ignore the bully problem, claiming that they can't do anything about it unless they see it, personally. At least, that's what they say until threatened with a lawsuit. In fact, some schools have gone so far as to equally punish both people in a fight, regardless of circumstances. Some even go so far as to let off the person who swung first and only punish the person who, in the legal world, is justified by the self-defense statutes. Public schools have become a breeding ground for the primitive, apelike mentality of rule by strength and fear, and something has got to change before even more kids, like myself, are permanently scarred by the incident.

As for me, I still have severe anger issues stemming from my time in public schools and my dealings with bullies, and I'm worried that they will someday get me in trouble.

dude i feel your pain......was bullied in school because i got good grades and a soccer player......

funny how all the "nerds" have everyone else working for them

You are absolutely right. While I think disputes, social groups, ostracism, etc. do toughen kids for the real world, it is often taken way too far. There is a difference between not inviting someone somewhere and being cruel, malicious, and quite frankly a major assh*le about it. Too often the line is crossed and too often people have to deal with painful experiences that diminish their self-esteem and haunt them for the rest of their lives.

What is the answer to this? The problem is that this theme of bullying is so embedded in the core of adolescence that it's hard to weed it out. I don't believe that school officials really hold much power here because you know the second that the teacher turns around, you're still going to be insulted by the bullies. Columbine should've been a wake up call to all HS students, but it wasn't.

I'm speechless for once because I do not think that there is truly an effective plan that can eliminate bullying from schools.

Though you should be proud of yourself that you withstood the harassment...it seems like it messed you up a bit, but hopefully it hardens you in the end. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

manu1959 said:
my son's school has a zero tllerance on bullying....do anything and you are expelled......

See my rant on zero tolerance policies. If it's typical of them, I'd bet money that more innocent kids are expelled than true bullies.

every kid with an iq over 125 gets a school supplied tazer to use at his own discretion.

I wanted to end my life every day in high school. We should recruit an army of teenage girls and send them to Afghanistan for psychological warfare. I'd give Osama a week. If he's still alive.

I think bullies are a healthy part of public school. You're not going to be able to shelter yourself from bullies later on in life, so it's good for you to get the exposure early, and learn how to successfully smite them :)

The ClayTaurus said:
I think bullies are a healthy part of public school. You're not going to be able to shelter yourself from bullies later on in life, so it's good for you to get the exposure early, and learn how to successfully smite them :)
Spoken like a true jock! ;)

Hobbit said:
See my rant on zero tolerance policies. If it's typical of them, I'd bet money that more innocent kids are expelled than true bullies.

Being that "zero tolerance" is a subjective word...abuse can and does take place! See mantra "fucking idiot" use by bullies!

archangel said:
Being that "zero tolerance" is a subjective word...abuse can and does take place! See mantra "fucking idiot" use by bullies!

Are you speaking of my post in another thread?

If so, you took this as directed to someone specifically on our board?

GotZoom said:
Are you speaking of my post in another thread?

If so, you took this as directed to someone specifically on our board?

not directed at you...see post #135 "Martin Luther King's Day" 'The Jock-ass'
may I say pun? :)

mom4 said:
I wanted to end my life every day in high school. We should recruit an army of teenage girls and send them to Afghanistan for psychological warfare. I'd give Osama a week. If he's still alive.
Without DOUBT girls are the absolute worst. I never heard of such nasty stuff from boys. Girls are evil BITCHES! What’s with that?

Quit threadjacking. You wanna bitch about your hurt feelings, go back to that thread and do it there.

Mr. P said:
Without DOUBT girls are the absolute worst. I never heard of such nasty stuff from boys. Girls are evil BITCHES! What’s with that?
Guys just end up beating each other physically. Girls go for emotional ass beatings. There's a line with guys that you don't cross, and if it gets close it just erupts to physical violence before that line is crossed. Girls seem to either not have a line, or have no qualms about crossing it.

The ClayTaurus said:
Guys just end up beating each other physically. Girls go for emotional ass beatings. There's a line with guys that you don't cross, and if it gets close it just erupts to physical violence before that line is crossed. Girls seem to either not have a line, or have no qualms about crossing it.
Yep, an they'll cut yer throat too!

mom4 said:

They were probably jelaous of you, Mom. Jealousy is often the reason behind inexplicably bad behavior.

Forum List

Back