Bulldoze Puerto Rico

Food for thought:

Puerto Rico Lags in Federal Funding - Puerto Rico Report

From the link:

Puerto Rico is treated like a State in most Federal laws but there are important exceptions: Puerto Ricans pay federal taxes, but they do not pay income tax on earnings from the territory. While some suggest that this is an excuse for less than equal funding in some major programs, nearly half of all residents of States do not pay income taxes either because their income is too low or because they have tax deductions or credits which eliminate the taxes they owe. Puerto Rico’s tax contribution is typically about the same as that of Vermont. In 2015, in the midst of crippling financial troubles, Puerto Rico sent just $3,524,557 to the federal government, compared with Vermont’s $4,495,280, according to the IRS.

Vermont, however, has two senators, votes in the election of the president and vice-president, and a voting member of the U.S. House of Representatives, while Puerto Rico has a single representative in the House who can only vote in committees to which he or she is assigned.

Vermont received about $8,965 per person in Federal funds in 2016, while Puerto Rico received about $1,314 per person.

And FEMA bitch slaps the media as well they should for the media trying to run a game down on PR and the hurricanes.

"Long also noted that FEMA put “over $2 billion in food and commodities” on Puerto Rico after the storm, but that grocery stores and retailers have to help with the recovery as well.

Mitchell then tried to hit FEMA on the death toll in Puerto Rico, which Long explained is largely due to deaths that occurred from lack of infrastructure or accidents during repairs.

“When it comes to the indirect deaths … the indirect deaths for any event are typically greater in many cases,” Long said. “You have [in] people who died after the storm passed because they fell off their roof making repairs, they died in car crashes because the stoplights were off, you have chainsaw accidents, you have accidents with people cleaning up debris.”

FEMA Administrator Brock Long Fact-Checks MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell

Ummm...odd isn't it that the OP's author didn't whine about the money, commodities and teams of first responders sent to Texas and Florida. He also didn't post a thread pissing and moaning about the taxpayer money which has been used by the Trump Administration for boondoggles.

I didn't "whine" a year ago when I wrote that OP and I ain't "whining" now, shitbag. Since I know you're a scumbag liar, I owe you no further explanation. Most of the Gulf Coast was repaired by private insurance companies with FEMA loan guarantees and volunteers helping their neighbors. America ain't Puerto Rico...they belong to us,...kinda like a puppy who continues to piss on the sofa and eat shoes well into it's adult years. I've already said what measures I'd take...have somebody find them for you if you have any friends here, which I doubt.

I found this post very informative, it exposed the author's character flaws for all to see. It also highlights the hysteria which explains his emotional posts, which are less than thoughtful, thought provoking or substantive.

How do u feel about aid to Florida and Texas?
Much better than I feel about shitty fucking Puerto Rico.

Why? Have you been to FL. TX. and PR?
What difference would that make?

Lots, when you call one a shitty fucking place and have never been there, it is clear you are a member of the right wing echo chamber, and thus have zero credibility.
Is Congo a shitty place? You know it is, but you are going to bend over backwards to avoid admitting it.

When are you Leftists wake up to the pure corrution of the authorities in Puerto Rico?

img-0071.jpg

Thousands of cases of bottled water just sitting on a runway at Cieba. Just sitting there!
img-0073.jpg

The CBS piece is careful not to lay the blame on local authorities. But, who else is there to blame?

Story w/video @ Possibly millions of water bottles meant for Hurricane Maria victims left on tarmac in Puerto Rico

Lots, when you call one a shitty fucking place and have never been there, it is clear you are a member of the right wing echo chamber, and thus have zero credibility.
Is Congo a shitty place? You know it is, but you are going to bend over backwards to avoid admitting it.

I've never been to Africa, so I can't answer your question. Though I've not met you, I've developed the sense that you are an elitist who has no love or respect for minorities.

When are you Leftists wake up to the pure corrution of the authorities in Puerto Rico?

img-0071.jpg

Thousands of cases of bottled water just sitting on a runway at Cieba. Just sitting there!
img-0073.jpg

The CBS piece is careful not to lay the blame on local authorities. But, who else is there to blame?

Story w/video @ Possibly millions of water bottles meant for Hurricane Maria victims left on tarmac in Puerto Rico

The PR government really had a glorious distribution system...NOT!!!

Why should the goverment do anything more than emegecy services in a natural disaster. People who live in areas prone
to disasters should be prepared for recovery from disaster conditions.

This may be true. But some states are more prone to natural disasters than others, and the Federal Government is charged in the vision statement (Preamble to COTUS) to provide for the general Welfare, for We the People.

Most natural disasters - earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and flooding can be mitigated if we prepare for them. It's all a matter of budgeting and setting priorities, which begins and ends with the Federal Budget and the Congress.

Austerity and fiscal conservatism ignores what can be expected. Every year tornadoes destroy homes and businesses and lives in Tornado Alley, most years a powerful hurricane devastates the gulf coast or east cost; forest fires become conflagrations in the west when drought kills trees, which become kindling, and extreme Noreasters damage New England states with ice storms and snow drifts.

"Last year's devastating floods and fires in California combined with hurricanes and other natural disasters to wreak unprecedented financial damage on the United States, the federal government reported Monday.

"The nation endured 16 weather and climate events that inflicted $1 billion or more apiece in damage in 2017, tying 2011 for the most 10-digit calamities in a year and setting an annual total-cost record of $306 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The natural disasters resulted in 362 deaths."

Natural Disasters Cost U.S. an Unprecedented $306 Billion Last Year

And yet,

Department of Homeland Security Says Transferring $10 Million From FEMA Funds Won't Harm Hurricane Relief

along with this bit of information we have Congress which does nothing but offer prayers to those who suffer from their inaction.

You mean use regulations and environmental restrictions to mitigate damages ?

Republicans vote against all those .

Why should the goverment do anything more than emegecy services in a natural disaster. People who live in areas prone

This may be true. But some states are more prone to natural disasters than others, and the Federal Government is charged in the vision statement (Preamble to COTUS) to provide for the general Welfare, for We the People.

Most natural disasters - earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and flooding can be mitigated if we prepare for them. It's all a matter of budgeting and setting priorities, which begins and ends with the Federal Budget and the Congress.

Austerity and fiscal conservatism ignores what can be expected. Every year tornadoes destroy homes and businesses and lives in Tornado Alley, most years a powerful hurricane devastates the gulf coast or east cost; forest fires become conflagrations in the west when drought kills trees, which become kindling, and extreme Noreasters damage New England states with ice storms and snow drifts.

"Last year's devastating floods and fires in California combined with hurricanes and other natural disasters to wreak unprecedented financial damage on the United States, the federal government reported Monday.

"The nation endured 16 weather and climate events that inflicted $1 billion or more apiece in damage in 2017, tying 2011 for the most 10-digit calamities in a year and setting an annual total-cost record of $306 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The natural disasters resulted in 362 deaths."

And yet,

Department of Homeland Security Says Transferring $10 Million From FEMA Funds Won't Harm Hurricane Relief

along with this bit of information we have Congress which does nothing but offer prayers to those who suffer from their inaction.

Just the useless regs and restrictions, Timmy.

Fun fact ! Congress bestowed citizenship on PR’s because they needed cannon fodder for WW1 . “Wecome to America amigo, you’ve now been drafted !”

And the states have abused PR ever since .

And yet,

No, they mean ALL regs.

And yet,

No, they mean ALL regs.

I'm not convinced, Timmy.

And yet,

No, they mean ALL regs.

I'm not convinced, Timmy.

They want to eliminate the EPA! Arguably the most successful agency ever .

And that shows how little you understand. Have you ever been to Puerto Rico? I lived there for 18 months. The amount of manufacturing, pharmaceutical plants and agriculture there is staggering. Tourism, high tech and our military community there adds millions, if not billions to our economy.

So how much do they pay in taxes to the U.S.?
They pay taxes. The factories pay taxes, the farmers pay taxes, the hoteliers pay taxes and the Puerto Rican's, who are American citizens, pay taxes.

To the U.S.?

Of course.

Q.How much do red states pay to the US, and how much do they take in return?

A. If you look only at the first measure—how much the federal government spends per person in each state compared with the amount its citizens pay in federal income taxes—other states stand out, particularly South Carolina: The Palmetto State receives $7.87 back from Washington for every $1 its citizens pay in federal tax. This bar chart, made from WalletHub's data, reveals the sharp discrepancies among states on that measure.

Which States Are Givers and Which Are Takers? - The Atlantic

Not this bullshit again.

I've never been to Africa, so I can't answer your question. Though I've not met you, I've developed the sense that you are an elitist who has no love or respect for minorities.
Why was it so easy for me to predict your dumbass response that no one on earth will believe?

You dont know a thing about Congo? For all you know it's the best place on earth, since you've never been there, right? :laugh:

Shut up you dishonest troll. Next time come up with a better argument so you dont have to lie.

Last edited:

Just fine.
Those states actually support the economy....PR not so much.
And that shows how little you understand. Have you ever been to Puerto Rico? I lived there for 18 months. The amount of manufacturing, pharmaceutical plants and agriculture there is staggering. Tourism, high tech and our military community there adds millions, if not billions to our economy.

We don't have a military community there much anymore. All of you people screaming about cutting the military bases can use Puerto Rico as a prime example of your shortsightedness.

Just fine.

They pay taxes. The factories pay taxes, the farmers pay taxes, the hoteliers pay taxes and the Puerto Rican's, who are American citizens, pay taxes.

Better check yourself before you wreck yourself!

Puerto Ricans do not pay federal income tax on income they earn in Puerto Rico.

Why can't we all have that special privilege?

Just fine.

Better check yourself before you wreck yourself!

Puerto Ricans do not pay federal income tax on income they earn in Puerto Rico.

Why can't we all have that special privilege?

You can, move to PR and if you don't work in a government job, you will not owe Uncle Sam / the IRS a dime. You won't be represented in Congress, nor will you be able to vote for President and Vice President.

Forum List

Back