Build your own systems? What did you go with?

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
I prefer to build my own systems from the components I select.....as opposed to ready made systems.
I have both Linux and Windows systems currently in use (depending on their use) including Windows 10, Win 7 and Win XP

Not much of a gamer...but I do love MS FSX.

My FSX system is a Ryzen 7 2700X machine with GSkill FlashX 3200 DDR4 RAM and Asus ROG Strix X470-F Motherboard. Storage is handled by SSD. GPU is Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. It's adequate and gives fluid frame rates maxed out.
A Mid range to lower mid range system. Some guys I know have 10 Grand in their gaming system.....and still aren't near the top I don't need that much.

If you built your own system, what's under the hood?

Last edited:
ASRock X470 Master SLI/ac motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC ACX 4GB
GSkill F4-3200C16-8GFX
Had a 500GB M2 drive but it had problems, currently running an old HDD until I can buy a SSD to replace it.
I'm a gamer and my setup is more than what I need.

Nvidia rtx 2080 graphics card for editing videos (renders frames faster) and
rendering graphics like 3d animation it's a must. Also for future gaming and
VR compatibility.
Intel i9-9900k 8 core chip with overclock Over 5 ghz? And 16-32gb memory cards both important for multi tasking required in graphics and vr editing work.
Plenty of fans and liquid cooling for those long renders.
4TB fast ssd hard drive(space will be needed with 5g 8k and VR future),
Therefore; Added Powered Output sata (eSataP?)For external storage using used internal 3tb hard drives you can pick up on Amazon for $30-$40 or added space in the case to easily access in and out extra storage which will be essential in the near future and extend the usability of your system to that storage intensive future usage.

VR compatibility.
Intel i9-9900k 8 core chip with overclock Over 5 ghz? And 16-32gb memory cards both important for multi tasking required in graphics and vr editing work.
Therefore; Added Powered Output sata (eSataP?)For external storage using used internal 3tb hard drives you can pick up on Amazon for $30-$40 or added space in the case to easily access in and out extra storage which will be essential in the near future and extend the usability of your system to that storage intensive future usage.

Nice system.
Mostly used for video editing?
I use Divinci Resolve but my projects are mostly hobby stuff.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GSkill F4-3200C16-8GFX
Had a 500GB M2 drive but it had problems, currently running an old HDD until I can buy a SSD to replace it.
The thing will rip with Photoshop and video editors too I Mine is basic, basic because it's basically just a net toy and the motherboard, so far, is immune to"shithole" power surges and stuff. I've built a bunch the same way and nary a complaint. I used to do higher end and a few got baked. The local comppuer guy calls the MB "tarjeta de madre militar". I'd agree. Idiot proof is a better term..LOL

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GSkill F4-3200C16-8GFX
The thing will rip with Photoshop and video editors too I Mine is basic, basic because it's basically just a net toy and the motherboard, so far, is immune to"shithole" power surges and stuff. I've built a bunch the same way and nary a complaint. I used to do higher end and a few got baked. The local comppuer guy calls the MB "tarjeta de madre militar". I'd agree. Idiot proof is a better term..LOL
Oh and It's powered by a Roswill HIVE 850S.

VR compatibility.

Nice system.
Mostly used for video editing?
I use Divinci Resolve but my projects are mostly hobby stuff.
Todays 3D rendering using shadows and light reflections for realism uses heavy graphics resources and the new NVidias have those huge amounts of threads for faster rendering especially needed with animating many frames.
Needless to say it's used for gaming for the same reason and needed for intensive size of VR 60fps 4k VR.
With 8k vr and high bitrate vids to come the highest thread count and GB graphic card will be required.
ALSO helpful for converting 2d footages to 3d & VR which renders each frame.
Video editing resizing, filters all render per frame so Vids can take a half a day on old systems whereby new graphic cards, chip sets can make rendering a more manageable process.

MB: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX 8350 (with Kabuto 3)
GPU: ASUS RX570 4GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB
Audio: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: Kolink KL-600M
Storage: 2x SSD, 2x HDD
Optical Drive: TEAC BD-W512S-A
Case: BitFenix Comrade Window (3 fans)
Monitor: Dell P190S

pc1vkksm.jpg

pc2s9ju7.jpg