Buffett, Gates urge billionaires: Give half your money to charity

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Buffett, Gates urge billionaires: Give half your money to charity - Investment News

Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates and billionaire investor Warren Buffett are launching a campaign to get other American billionaires to give at least half their wealth to charity.

Patty Stonesifer, former CEO of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Gates and Buffett have been campaigning for the past year to get others to donate the bulk of their wealth.

The friends and philanthropic colleagues are asking people to pledge to donate either during their lifetime or at the time of their death.

The handful of billionaires approached so far have embraced the campaign, said Stonesifer, a close friend of Gates who offered to speak about the effort. Four wealthy couples have already announced their pledges, including Los Angeles philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad, Gerry and Marguerite Lenfest of Philadelphia, John and Ann Doerr of Menlo Park, Calif., and John and Tasha Mortgridge of San Jose, Calif.

Gates and Buffett are calling their campaign The Giving Pledge. Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., said in a letter introducing the concept that he couldn't be happier with his decision in 2006 to give 99 percent of his roughly $46 billion fortune to charity.

Buffett's plan will eventually split most of his shares of his Omaha, Neb., company between five charitable foundations, with the largest chunk going to the Gates Foundation.

While Gates's methods at Microsoft have been questioned from time to time, him and especially Buffett are class acts.

as if the rest of them would do it. do you know how many 3rd world countries they had to ravage and rape to get where they are today? why throw all that work away?

also bill gates is pure evil and only giving away money now as penance

After enduring Microsoft Windows and the ridiculous Geico commercials, that's the least they can do.

:lol: "Because of Windows Vista, the only way I feel I can repay everyone is to give my entire fortune to charity."

as if the rest of them would do it. do you know how many 3rd world countries they had to ravage and rape to get where they are today? why throw all that work away?

No, how many?

Oh, in other words, the message of your post is... "Hey everybody, im a stupid dumbfuck."

If they were really a class act, they wouldn't be doing this for publicity or pushing for this publically, but they would be doing it behind the scenes.

If you do it just to be seen, you lose any benefit you might recieve from the act.

Oh, in other words, the message of your post is... "Hey everybody, im a stupid dumbfuck."

stupid response as usual from you

While Gates's methods at Microsoft have been questioned from time to time, him and especially Buffett are class acts.

LOLZ!

So the cost of an Indulgence for being an Evil Capitalist is to enjoy a rollicking good time while one is alive, and then leave the dough to charity.

Well - it's better than the government getting it via massive inheritance taxes, and the heirs can just work for the charitable trust and pay themselves massive salaries.

Last edited:
LOLZ!

So the cost of an Indulgence for being an Evil Capitalist is to enjoy a rollicking good time while one is alive, and the leave the dough to charity.

Well - it's better than the government getting it via massive inheritance taxes, and the heirs can just work for the charitable trust and pay themselves massive salaries.

What are you babbling about? Especially since Warren and Bill are giving a lot of the money to charity now.

No. They have PLEDGED to give. They still retain and enjoy immense wealth now. Read your article, bub.

Buffett's plan will eventually split most of his shares of his Omaha, Neb., company between five charitable foundations, with the largest chunk going to the Gates Foundation.

Besides Buffett's pledge to the foundation, he also plans to give Class B Berkshire shares to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, which he and his late first wife started, and the three foundations run by his three children.

Buffett said in 2006 that his other 73,332 Class A shares of Berkshire stock, worth about $8 billion, would also go to philanthropy, but he didn't spell out how those shares would be distributed.

Bill and Melinda Gates have made a similar pledge through the establishment of their Seattle-based foundation.

LOLZ!

So the cost of an Indulgence for being an Evil Capitalist is to enjoy a rollicking good time while one is alive, and the leave the dough to charity.

massive inheritance taxes? really?

i believe right now there's no inheritance taxes. i'm sure you'll be pleased to know that paris hilton's daddy's fortune would be passed to her whole. starting next year, the first million is tax free, and that doesn't take exemptions into consideration.

Estate tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No. They have PLEDGED to give. They still retain and enjoy immense wealth now. Read your article, bub.

Besides Buffett's pledge to the foundation, he also plans to give Class B Berkshire shares to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, which he and his late first wife started, and the three foundations run by his three children.

Buffett said in 2006 that his other 73,332 Class A shares of Berkshire stock, worth about $8 billion, would also go to philanthropy, but he didn't spell out how those shares would be distributed.

Bill and Melinda Gates have made a similar pledge through the establishment of their Seattle-based foundation.

Well of course they didn't give it all away at once. However, you don't seem to understand what the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation does now.

Who manages the foundation now?

Bill Gates, Co-chair
Melinda French Gates, Co-chair
William H. Gates Sr., Co-chair

The Gates have not declared vows of poverty by any stretch of the imagination.

After enduring Microsoft Windows and the ridiculous Geico commercials, that's the least they can do.

:lol: "Because of Windows Vista, the only way I feel I can repay everyone is to give my entire fortune to charity."

I forget how young you are. Let's not forget Windows ME, 98, 95, 3.1, 3.11 and all the various incarnations of DOS. Microsoft's policy is to push a product out and patch it later with service packs. Giving up half his wealth is nothing compared to the amount of time everyone has wasted using their initial software releases.

Bill Gates, Co-chair

There you go with the strawmen, again. Who said they did? :eusa_eh:

You have a tendency to make a strawman in every thread of mine at the very least, have outrageous amounts of faux outrage in various threads, and then act like you're trying to have a serious discussion.

My only question, why?

So they are giving away money to charities when they die? I guess after they die they can will it away.

It's there money and it is there's to do with what they want. I myself wouldn't go around trumpeting how much and who I gave money to. Seems a little self-gratification and self-glorification going on.

Damned evil rich white men never give anything to anybody!!!!

And, by God, when they do I'm going to do my damndest to minimize it any way I can!!!!

stupid response as usual from you

It really wasn't any more stupid than yours.

Bill Gates, Co-chair

are you seriously trying to put them down for their charity or even pledged charity boe?

WHY? is this political?

Forum List

Back