Buffett Blames Congress for Romney's 15% Rate

Christopher

Aug 7, 2009
Buffett Blames Congress for Romney's 15% Rate - Yahoo! Finance
(Bold emphasis added)
Warren Buffett, the billionaire calling for more taxes on the rich, said Mitt Romney's U.S. tax rate of about 15 percent reflects poor laws rather than failings by the candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.

"It's the wrong policy to have," Buffett told Bloomberg Television's Betty Liu in an interview today. "He's not going to pay more than the law requires, and I don't fault him for that in the least. But I do fault a law that allows him and me earning enormous sums to pay overall federal taxes at a rate that's about half what the average person in my office pays."

I don't fault Romney for paying a legal tax either. Of course people need to have something to be upset about Romney so they have a reason not to vote for him.

I suggest a better way to do that would be finding fault in his proposals for tax reform (changing the law), not in his actions of following the current law. I don't care how much it upsets people that he pays a lower percentage, the bottom line is that it is legal.

Well, it is Congress's fault that their taxes are so high. Much like it's their fault our taxes are so high.

Buffett Blames Congress for Romney's 15% Rate - Yahoo! Finance
(Bold emphasis added)
Warren Buffett, the billionaire calling for more taxes on the rich, said Mitt Romney's U.S. tax rate of about 15 percent reflects poor laws rather than failings by the candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.

"It's the wrong policy to have," Buffett told Bloomberg Television's Betty Liu in an interview today. "He's not going to pay more than the law requires, and I don't fault him for that in the least. But I do fault a law that allows him and me earning enormous sums to pay overall federal taxes at a rate that's about half what the average person in my office pays."

I don't fault Romney for paying a legal tax either. Of course people need to have something to be upset about Romney so they have a reason not to vote for him.

I suggest a better way to do that would be finding fault in his proposals for tax reform (changing the law), not in his actions of following the current law. I don't care how much it upsets people that he pays a lower percentage, the bottom line is that it is legal.

Yes Buffet is correct.

I say the wealthy should pay 35% across the board including all of their Cayman Island activity.

The middle class should pay 25% across the board because they make less yet because they are the largest number they put more taxes in the cookie jar that which pays the bills.

Are you talking about Jimmy Buffett or the less influential Warren Buffett? The current congress didn't make the rules. Barry Obama's Treasury Secretary admits to being a tax cheat and he is still on the job. What does that tell you about selected outrage?

Last edited:
Are you talking about Jimmy Buffett or the less influential Warren Buffett? The current congress didn't make the rules. Barry Obama's Treasury Secretary admits to being a tax cheat and he is still on the job. What does that tell you about selected outrage?

I say it has nothing to do with the topic at hand...

Why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than those of us who do work?

Because they have more money to buy Congressmen with.

Why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than those of us who do work?

So you are saying rich folks didnt work to earn their money?

No, I am not talking about trust fund babies.

Most folks with money did something to earn the pay they get. It wasnt just dropped in their laps, and to say that they should be taxed twice at equaling nearly 60% is absurd and destructive to capitalism.

Stop hating rich people and earn your own money nitwit.

buffett needs to shut the hell up and pay the back taxes he owes.

You need to shut the hell up and pay higher taxes so Romney can pay less.

buffett owes nearly one billion dollars in back taxes he needs to pay his taxes before he starts telling others they need to pay more.

Besides that.... those rich idiots who say we should the rich should pay higher taxes wont bust out their checkbooks and lead by example.
:doubt:

You need to shut the hell up and pay higher taxes so Romney can pay less.

buffett owes nearly one billion dollars in back taxes he needs to pay his taxes before he starts telling others they need to pay more.

Do you like paying higher taxes so the super rich can pay less?

That is a lie If I gave my check to the government I still would not pay more taxes than the super rich.

Most folks with money did something to earn the pay they get. It wasnt just dropped in their laps, and to say that they should be taxed twice at equaling nearly 60% is absurd and destructive to capitalism.

Do you like paying higher taxes so Romney can pay less?

I dont pay higher taxes so rich folks can pay less

You idiot!

I dont pay higher taxes so rich folks can pay less

You idiot!

Yes you do.

The less they pay, the more you will have to pay because welfare for the wealthy adds to the National Debt.

So do you like paying higher taxes so Romney can pay less?

Forum List

Back