Buffett and his taxes

You say...he says. I'm goin' with the dude who spent his life studying the subject. No offense.

....and his tortured spinning of the facts to score a political point.. To wit --

Once again, Parliament backed down, repealing all but one of the Townshend duties. The prime minister, Lord North, insisted on retaining the tax on tea, determined to underscore Parliament's right to impose direct levies on the colonies. The tea tax was not lucrative; after the costs of collection, it raised very little revenue. But Lord North considered it a vital symbol of imperial authority.

It was the arrogance of RETAINING the tea tax to "underscore Parliament's right to impose direct levies on the COLONIES" -- "a vital symbol of imperial authority".. that triggered the Tea Party.. The colonists didn't really care about "export duties" being rescinded on their Corporate suppliers.

Knock yourself out with the "brillance" of the contrived "interpretation"...

You say...he says. I'm goin' with the dude who spent his life studying the subject. No offense.

No problem.

I'm sure the colonists were mad that British tea was suddenly cheap.

When that happens to me, I get the urge to dress like an Indian and dump tea in the harbor. :cuckoo:

Hmmmm....entitlements and handouts.

Entitlements are called as such because people ARE "entitled" to receive the benefits that they've paid their whole lives into.

Handouts (and I'm guessing you mean welfare) eats up less than 1/2 of 1% of tax dollars.

So what's your point again?

And what do you consider a "large number" of "not normal" taxpayers? What's "not normal"? :confused:

No, entitlements are called that because a bunch of politicians who are desperate for the deadbeat vote want to make you THINK you're "entitled" to it. I do so love suckers who can't even see when they're being bullshitted and used.

Hmmmm.....why would you think we're NOT entitled to things we've already paid for?

Why would YOU think people on the entitlement programs have necessarily "paid into" anything at all, or paid in anything like what they take out?

Buffett owe a billion dollars in back taxes sorry chris no sale
he doesn't owe back taxes, Berkshire Hathaway does....there are many many many share holders that owe those taxes if he does not win his appeal....

it's his he does own it. So yes he does owe back taxes
he has many share holders, mainly Big gun brokerage firms, but other individual stock holders too in A and B stocks....

Stockholders don't take kindly to poor accounting. Especially when it ends in tax audits and lawsuits. Buffet has screwed BHathaway by the negative attention.
i think so too....it'll make the stock holders take a second look for certain....

but in the end, money talks and he makes them a bundle of money, so they probably will hold on to the stock.

it's his he does own it. So yes he does owe back taxes
he has many share holders, mainly Big gun brokerage firms, but other individual stock holders too in A and B stocks....

It's still his company.
yeah, so? the company owes the taxes....he isn't gonna write a personal check for them ya know....the company, even with that huge tax check written if he loses his appeal, will still end up being profitable...

It's still his company.
yeah, so? the company owes the taxes....he isn't gonna write a personal check for them ya know....the company, even with that huge tax check written if he loses his appeal, will still end up being profitable...

What I don't get is why a company like BH can owe taxes to the gov't stretching over years but the gov't doesn't go after them for it. They'd be damn quick about coming after me, pretty sure about that. Seems to me we should be slapping interest penalty payments on 'em and throwing people in jail.

It's still his company.

What I don't get is why a company like BH can owe taxes to the gov't stretching over years but the gov't doesn't go after them for it. They'd be damn quick about coming after me, pretty sure about that. Seems to me we should be slapping interest penalty payments on 'em and throwing people in jail.

ONe thing that happens all the time is that the laws are so vague and interpretable that even the IRS cannot provide guidance. So you go and take allowances based on the best advice and it becomes practice. But little did you know, a court case 4 years ago ruled that your practice was incorrect. So when it's finally discovered, the press reports it as you owing back taxes for 8 years..

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" -- unless you're the Federal Agency that wrote and enforced the stupid law -- in which case you're excused..
:eusa_angel:

You think you can do it?? You think it's easy to run a company??... Start one and prove it

Do you think that a business will be as successful without roads, police or fire protection that ordinary taxpayers provide for that company?

Let me get this straight. By your logic (assuming that businesses pay no taxes), those 45% of Americans who pay no federal income tax should be prohibited from using the roads, police or fire protection that the rest of us are paying for? Is that correct?

Nope, not at all. Fiirst of all police, fire and road taxes (except interstate) are all state and local taxes, not federal.

And the "assuming businesses pay no taxes" is really close to home in a lot of cases since many communities will reduce and sometimes eliminate those taxes to lure them and the jobs they provide.

So your logic is well.....illogical.

No, entitlements are called that because a bunch of politicians who are desperate for the deadbeat vote want to make you THINK you're "entitled" to it. I do so love suckers who can't even see when they're being bullshitted and used.

Hmmmm.....why would you think we're NOT entitled to things we've already paid for?

Why would YOU think people on the entitlement programs have necessarily "paid into" anything at all, or paid in anything like what they take out?

Because anyone who ever works and pays taxes pays into entitlement programs, including unemployment, SS, Medicare, and yes, even welfare. Hell, Social Security benefits are based over a 30 year working period.

I can see you harbor a lot of resentment towards all those "worthless lifers" on welfare. Can you tell me the average amount of time the typical welfare recipient spends on welfare? Be honest....(And don't bore me with "I know so-and-so who has spent 75 years on welfare". I said average, not exceptions to the rules.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back