Buffet Against Obama

Why would union leaders want to remove one of the great bastions of a free society - the secret ballot? What is the motivation?

look it up...the people want to be able to have a union quicker...

the old process was getting more than 30% of all workers to sign the card to want a union, they would get a vote...the business would take a few months to schedule the vote and strong arm the workers , and illegally fired some of the workers promoting unionizing to intimidate the others in to not going for it, and took work time to have paid advocates tell all the employees why it was so terrible while those advocates showing the positives of unions were not allowed the same....and could only work one on one after work etc...then, more than 50% of the workers voting with a ballot, had to take place for the union to be formed...you were not required to vote, you could not vote, if you didn't care one way or the other....

it was all favored in the employer's advantage with his intimidation, not equal footing.

the new way is if you get more than 50% of all workers signing the card saying they want union representation, they get a union formed and the representatives meet with the owner.

the owner still gets to have his advocates against unions during work time etc during the period the workers are trying to recruit the 50%.

something like....if 30% of the workers sign the card, and want a ballot vote then the ballot vote can be called is my reading of it....?
thats bullshit
just like people are intimidated into signing that card and when the vote comes they vote NO should be enough to tell you what a load of bullshit it is

well if 30% of those that signed the card initially and feel as though they were intimidated in to signing the card, i believe they can request a secret ballot and it goes back to the old way, the union not formed till after a ballot vote with 50% saying yes.

I am only repeating what i have read on this....sinatra asked why and i responded with what i have read on it....

I understand the position of the opposite side as well.

Care

Care, I'm probably the only one that sees it this way, but since Obama was elected, you've become way less objective.

Bush is not an idiot. Obama is not an idiot. I'm wordsmithing nothing. Your claim that I am is predicated on your politically biased opinion of Bush.

One thing I've noticed from Day One to date is the left will tolerate NO criticism of Obama. He can do no wrong. The dude is doing some scary shit. Might not bother you, but then, you don't have to live with results of his actions. I DO.

Bush is absolutely an idiot. I am in no doubt of that.

However, my comments were more aimed at Sinatra than you. I should have made that clear.

I actually don't have a problem with criticism of Obama, but I'd like him to actually be in the job for a few months before kicking him. I mean, he's hardly had time to do anything worth criticising IMO...

Not unless you think spending 4 times that of the last President in less than 3 months anything worth criticizing.

Bush is not an idiot. Obama is not an idiot. I'm wordsmithing nothing. Your claim that I am is predicated on your politically biased opinion of Bush.

One thing I've noticed from Day One to date is the left will tolerate NO criticism of Obama. He can do no wrong. The dude is doing some scary shit. Might not bother you, but then, you don't have to live with results of his actions. I DO.

However, my comments were more aimed at Sinatra than you. I should have made that clear.

I actually don't have a problem with criticism of Obama, but I'd like him to actually be in the job for a few months before kicking him. I mean, he's hardly had time to do anything worth criticising IMO...

Not unless you think spending 4 times that of the last President in less than 3 months anything worth criticizing.

obama spent 4 x 22 trillion = $88 TRILLION in 3 months???? :eek:

our budget was about $2 trillion a year, times 8 years of Bush in office = $16 trillion plus the $6 trillion additional spending that was added to the National debt from the deficits he ran equals $22 trillion spent by Bush, times 4 equals the $88 trillion....

i don't think that Obama has spent 4 times as much as the last administration's congress, at least not yet!!!!

our budget was about $2 trillion a year, times 8 years of Bush in office = $16 trillion plus the $6 trillion additional spending that was added to the National debt from the deficits he ran equals $22 trillion spent by Bush, times 4 equals the $88 trillion....

i don't think that Obama has spent 4 times as much as the last administration's congress, at least not yet!!!!
i think he is talking about 4 times the deficit

i think he is talking about 4 times the deficit

I guess I was...thanks for the correction.

When I asked why he thought that--he stated well geez--all he does is fly around the country costing enormous tax payer dollars & I am getting real tired of seeing him on T.V. every single day--saying the same old things.

funny you should mention this.....they were talking about this very thing on the radio today....

(Bush is not an idiot. Obama is not an idiot. I'm wordsmithing nothing. Your claim that I am is predicated on your politically biased opinion of Bush.

One thing I've noticed from Day One to date is the left will tolerate NO criticism of Obama. He can do no wrong. The dude is doing some scary shit. Might not bother you, but then, you don't have to live with results of his actions. I DO. )

I can't decide if it's just because he's so inexperienced, too scared to do what he knows is right, or just absolutely drunk with power and trying to prove some kind of point. No matter what the reason, it seems we are in for one wild and crazy ride for the next 4 years. I can't imagine what this country will be like a year from now. At least when Bush was in office, we didn't have to worry about whether we would have jobs or homes next month.

Had BO said no to this bill and vowed to sign it only after all the needless earmarks were gone, then I might be a little more lenient on him. I might even let him keep blaming Bush for a while, but he cooked his goose good with me today. Everybody that supports him no matter what has continued to scream, "GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!! GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!!" Well, I did...and he blew it. He had all the power in his hand and with a few strokes of a pen, he wiped out his chance. And I'm afraid that he may have wiped out the chance for MANY of us.

I didn't vote for him because I didn't think he was the right man for the job. For the record, I don't believe that McCain was either. But I do believe that we've made a grave mistake in electing this man. I hope, for the sake of my family and yours, that I am wrong.

(Bush is not an idiot. Obama is not an idiot. I'm wordsmithing nothing. Your claim that I am is predicated on your politically biased opinion of Bush.

One thing I've noticed from Day One to date is the left will tolerate NO criticism of Obama. He can do no wrong. The dude is doing some scary shit. Might not bother you, but then, you don't have to live with results of his actions. I DO. )

I can't decide if it's just because he's so inexperienced, too scared to do what he knows is right, or just absolutely drunk with power and trying to prove some kind of point. No matter what the reason, it seems we are in for one wild and crazy ride for the next 4 years. I can't imagine what this country will be like a year from now. At least when Bush was in office, we didn't have to worry about whether we would have jobs or homes next month.

Had BO said no to this bill and vowed to sign it only after all the needless earmarks were gone, then I might be a little more lenient on him. I might even let him keep blaming Bush for a while, but he cooked his goose good with me today. Everybody that supports him no matter what has continued to scream, "GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!! GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!!" Well, I did...and he blew it. He had all the power in his hand and with a few strokes of a pen, he wiped out his chance. And I'm afraid that he may have wiped out the chance for MANY of us.

I didn't vote for him because I didn't think he was the right man for the job. For the record, I don't believe that McCain was either. But I do believe that we've made a grave mistake in electing this man. I hope, for the sake of my family and yours, that I am wrong.

Your views here reflect a quickly growing number of Americans as reflected in the closing margins between approval and dissaproval for Obama. He continues to say one thing yet do another, his heavy dependence on a script, his continued campaign rhetoric, his disrespecting of Gordon Brown...the guy does in fact appear way over his head.

Care, I'm probably the only one that sees it this way, but since Obama was elected, you've become way less objective.

this is true annie, before he was elected, i was too pissed at him and the DNC, but now that he has been elected president, i have been giving him the benefit of the doubt more....i don;t want to look back a couple of years from now and see myself not at least... giving him a chance.

but these things i have been arguing recently are things not really obama issues, they were there before obama, more democratic/republican political differences if anything...

I just think many on here, have been dead set against him with alot of malice and untruths being said and i didn't like it when some dems did it to bush in the beginning either....i was part of that near 80% who were behind him his first year, regardless of political philosophical differences.

what has happened on this site is a continual down trotting on obama, getting worse every second, and some of the criticism is more than valid, but most of it, is just nonsense and political hackery imo.

care

Last edited:
Old Warren came out today and shared some deep concerns he has with the Obama administration and its handling of the economy.

Of the various disputes he shared, he called out Obama on the proposed Cap n Trade fiasco, stating (correctly) it will be the utility users who will pay the most. (that is all of us)

Buffet went on to share concern regarding the demonizing of Wall Street as well as openly opposing the Obama support for the union card-check legislation that would take away workers' right to a secret ballot.

These are major disputes folks - and shows once again the dwindling support the Obama administration now faces amongst a growing number who once fully supported their cause. (which was simply getting elected - now this administration appears clueless on how to actually govern)

Buffet also indicated that the administration needs to get a far more focused message - that job one and job two and job three are to be the economy. Currently Obama has been wandering wildly with stem cell research, Gitmo, public education, etc, when the overall prevailing concern right now is "the economy stupid."

And what Buffet enjoys that others in the media and the business world who have voiced similar concerns regarding Obama, is he is by far the richest and most powerful individual to so openly do so, and that puts the Obama administration in a bit of bind on how to deal with him.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/CNBC/Se...Warren - Complete Transcript - 2009-03-09.pdf

Wow shocking, what a great find. You happen to locate the only two men in our country who ever disagree. :clap2:

No doubt he has been handed a really hot rock...and it's gonna be hard to keep a handle on it, but he wasn't drafted into the Whitehouse...he ran into it....fast. With his hands raised high...fists pumping... knuckle knocking his way through the friggin' front door! So one would assume he was prepared to do what needed to be done. You have to wonder at what point did he realize, "HOLY SH!T...I"M THE FREAKIN' PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FREAKIN STATES!!! NOW WHAT THE HELL DO I DO???" But I don't think he's made it to the last part of that. I think he's still on the "I'M THE PRESIDENT!" part.

This "STICK-IT-TO-US BILL" is a joke...he even admitted that it's "not perfect". Of course it isn't. And it never will be. But he could have and should have sent it back for a bit of "perfecting" before he signed away our future.

this is true annie, before he was elected, i was too pissed at him and the DNC, but now that he has been elected president, i have been giving him the benefit of the doubt more....i don;t want to look back a couple of years from now and see myself not at least... giving him a chance.

but these things i have been arguing recently are things not really obama issues, they were there before obama, more democratic/republican political differences if anything...

I just think many on here, have been dead set against him with alot of malice and untruths being said and i didn't like it when some dems did it to bush in the beginning either....i was part of that near 80% who were behind him his first year, regardless of political philosophical differences.

what has happened on this site is a continual down trotting on obama, getting worse every second, and some of the criticism is more than valid, but most of it, is just nonsense and political hackery imo.

care

I do hear what you are saying. On the other hand, it's like you are throwing blinders and earplugs on at the same time. I might be wrong, but seems to me, that Obama needs to hear the truth from someone like you. It's the same reason I wrote many a note to GW, even got 3 back that were written by him. Super cool. None of you go ballistic, I'd think cool if from Clinton or Obama. Nothing like a personal letter from a president.

care

I do hear what you are saying. On the other hand, it's like you are throwing blinders and earplugs on at the same time. I might be wrong, but seems to me, that Obama needs to hear the truth from someone like you. It's the same reason I wrote many a note to GW, even got 3 back that were written by him. Super cool. None of you go ballistic, I'd think cool if from Clinton or Obama. Nothing like a personal letter from a president.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I have a photo of me with both Clinton and Bush Sr. and I treasure it - it is positioned next to the one my family kept of my grandfather shaking hands with Ronald Reagan from a 1980 fundraiser event. Sadly, I have yet to see inside the Oval Office, but perhaps some day...

P.S. - I am a pretty tall guy, but Clinton was far more imposing than I expected. When he entered the auditorium it felt as if the air literally crackled with energy and I found myself in awe of being in the presence of this president. (Who politically I had often disagreed deeply with) Bush Sr. was far more frail than I expected, but very much a gentleman. Both former presidents were quite gracious and charming and it was among the greatest honors of my life to shake each of their hands and share a few brief words with them.

care

I do hear what you are saying. On the other hand, it's like you are throwing blinders and earplugs on at the same time. I might be wrong, but seems to me, that Obama needs to hear the truth from someone like you. It's the same reason I wrote many a note to GW, even got 3 back that were written by him. Super cool. None of you go ballistic, I'd think cool if from Clinton or Obama. Nothing like a personal letter from a president.

well, here is what i have disagreed with so far with him...

several of his picks for his cabinet, especially all of the wall street picks...these are the same people that were out there during the previous administration, not smart enough to know this bubble would fall....so how can they help us now???

the stimulus i disagreed with, felt if any money was spent it should be on fixing the housing/mortgage crisis....where it all began.

disagreed with the bank bailouts in last administration too.

but here's the kicker....i truly don't know if i am right and ''they'' are wrong, on the stimulus and bank bailouts....i don't think anyone really knows for certain.

this is why this is something i wouldn't pen a complaint to him about...

i disagreed with the pork from both sides in this appropriations bill for fiscal 2009, but when looked in to, it was less than 1% of the entire spending bill, he noted no pork earmarks going forward for his budgets and i will give him the benefit of the doubt on that till he proves me wrong or fools me once, so....no real need to waste a pen on that....not with all the big things going on and this being only 1% pork....

one thing i could write to him about that i disagree with is his approach on health care and slipping in to the stimulus, non germane health care issues...

if this is gonna be done, it needs to be above board!

i disagree with him on sending more troops in to afghanistan and think 8 years later is too late to get binladen and make an impact...if binladen were caught right away it would have sent a strong message to those who attacked us, at this point...i don't think so....

i'm sure there is more if i think about it...

care

care

well, here is what i have disagreed with so far with him...

several of his picks for his cabinet, especially all of the wall street picks...these are the same people that were out there during the previous administration, not smart enough to know this bubble would fall....so how can they help us now???

the stimulus i disagreed with, felt if any money was spent it should be on fixing the housing/mortgage crisis....where it all began.

but here's the kicker....i truly don't know if i am right and ''they'' are wrong, on the stimulus and bank bailouts....i don't think anyone really knows for certain.

i disagreed with the pork from both sides in this appropriations bill for fiscal 2009, but when looked in to, it was less than 1% of the entire spending bill, he noted no pork earmarks going forward for his budgets and i will give him the benefit of the doubt on that till he proves me wrong or fools me once, so....no real need to waste a pen on that....not with all the big things going on and this being only 1% pork....

one thing i could write to him about that i disagree with is his approach on health care and slipping in to the stimulus, non germane health care issues...

if this is gonna be done, it needs to be above board!

i disagree with him on sending more troops in to afghanistan and think 8 years later is too late to get binladen and make an impact...if binladen were caught right away it would have sent a strong message to those who attacked us, at this point...i don't think so....

i'm sure there is more if i think about it...

care
who says its only 1% pork?
it looks like 100% pork to ME

Don't complain about that! Complain about the earmarks!!! A stimilus package can be a good thing. A VERY GOOD THING. But it was done with TOO MUCH HASTE and TOO MUCH WASTE! We can't afford some of the crap that is in this bill. There are BILLIONS of wasteful spending in this bill and if he had been a man of his word, he should have said NO! I'm not gonna go against my promise to the American people.

But he didn't! He signed it and is now saying that his hands were tied and it's all Bush's fault. Well, I say BULLSHIT!!! You may be able to blame Bush for some of this, but GWB didn't hold a gun to BO's head and make him sign that bill.

We have spent so much time and energy screaming about how Bush was dishonest, uneducated and misleading... are we now going to let Obama get away with it and not call his hand on it???

I won't be silent! I can't. My children don't deserve this! Your family doesn't deserve it either. But if we sit here and do nothing, then it will continue to get worse. Because the man clearly doesn't know what he's doing or doesn't care about the results of his actions! Either way, we have to find some way to take a stand.

Forum List

Back