Budgeting weekly meals

My favorite food when I was a little girl was corn meal mush. My mom fried it in bacon fat the next day....yum. Now I do the same thing with Cream of Wheat.

Mom also made her own scrapple using sausage, corn meal and sage seasoning...omg yum.

Today's selected shopping bargains -- for comparison with BG's prices :)

This is not the whole list, just some of the best deals.

Marinara sauce, 26 oz jar: $1.89 at Aldi's, $2.29 at Ho Foods... both organic, but the Aldi's had 4 grams of sugar per serving versus the Ho Foods which has 2 grams.

Gluten-free pasta (1 lb): $1.25 at Aldi's (but realized later it's made from corn and not organic, shouldn't have bought it) :death:

Yogurt, cups (Aldi's): 39 cents each

Mixed nuts, 1 1/2 pound jar, $12.99 at Aldi's

Joe's Os (Cheerios clone) 15 oz box, $1.99 Trader Joe's

Roasted garlic salsa, 12 oz.: $1.99 TJ's (GMO-free)

Cottage cheese (pint): $2.19 @ TJ's

But the bestest deal of the day, at the local Sav-Mor:

Limes.... 13 cents each :eusa_dance:

Marinara sauce, 26 oz jar: $1.89 at Aldi's, $2.29 at Ho Foods... both organic, but the Aldi's had 4 grams of sugar per serving versus the Ho Foods which has 2 grams.

Gluten-free pasta (1 lb): $1.25 at Aldi's (but realized later it's made from corn and not organic, shouldn't have bought it) :death:

Not bad.

Now I know where to get more iron friendly cereal

Good price on Marinara too.

And .13 cents for limes definitely beats Sprouts 4/1.00 deal.

You get an A+ :)

Not bad.

Now I know where to get more iron friendly cereal

Good price on Marinara too.

And .13 cents for limes definitely beats Sprouts 4/1.00 deal.

You get an A+ :)

Thanks Teach. :D

Oh and also, 1/2 lb. package of smoked turkey breast at the local store, $1.79.

Let's see...

Best deal of today? Walmart.

Ivory body wash .97 cents ...bought three

Two proctor and gamble coupons available.

1.00 off Two
.40 off one.

So ...two were .47 cents
One was .57

And

Venus 5 blade razors pks 6.97

Two P & G coupons for 2.00 and 3.00

One was 4.97
The other 3.97

(girls are expensive btw)

Another good deal. This is why one should always clip coupons and keep them in your purse/wallet or car.

Example:

Smiths had Pantene conditioner on clearance today for 1.65 ea.

There is a P & G coupon available for 3.00 off Two from Sundays paper.

got them for .15 ea

Another.

Smiths had Almond milk for 2/3.00.

Coupons available for .65 and .75 off came in the mail. I was also given two more.

Got 4. 2/.75. And 2/.80

So grabbed more of their on sale tuna and those cartons of Almond milk and took them to the food pantry. :)

Last edited:
Oh... And for Ravi

Chicken of the Sea canned tuna is WIC approved. ;)

What no grits?

Maybe in other parts of country. They are not as popular here. I like them though.

I've never tried grits. Seem a little mushy for me. :D I don't like oatmeal either for that reason. I just don't like the consistency.
it's one of those county things, it is kind of good, just like I always hated broccoli..until a few years ago. Steam broccoli is the bomb perfect to go with a prime rib and a Pepsi :)

I HATE broccoli.

But I LOVE how it makes me feel.

It's the World's Best Food. I try to eat at least a few portions each day, though I am eating it less since my diet has changed and I'm not eating many bad carbs any more.

I eat broccoli raw with a salad dressing.
Kale and cabbage are better. And painless in a smoothie.

Broccoli is a healthier food choice than cabbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe in other parts of country. They are not as popular here. I like them though.

I've never tried grits. Seem a little mushy for me. :D I don't like oatmeal either for that reason. I just don't like the consistency.
it's one of those county things, it is kind of good, just like I always hated broccoli..until a few years ago. Steam broccoli is the bomb perfect to go with a prime rib and a Pepsi :)

I HATE broccoli.

It's the World's Best Food. I try to eat at least a few portions each day, though I am eating it less since my diet has changed and I'm not eating many bad carbs any more.

Maybe if you grow it yourself and eat it right out of the garden. Otherwise, not so.

Crucifers – broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale

Broccoli
Eat fresh, as once harvested it loses its sugar and nutrients very rapidly. Whole heads have more nutrients than precut florets. Chill as soon as you can and eat it raw or cook it as soon as possible. If you keep broccoli for more than one day, put it in a sealable plastic bag pricked with tiny holes, and keep it in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator
Steaming broccoli for less than 5 minutes preserves the most nutrients. Boiling it or cooking it in a microwave destroys a high percentage of its potential health benefits. Raw broccoli gives you the most sulforaphane, which fights cancer
Recommended varieties of broccoli – green broccoli, purple broccoli, Atlantic broccoli, Brigadier broccoli, Cavolo broccoli / Cavolo Broccolo broccoli, Majestic Crown broccoli, Marathan broccoli, Packman broccoli, Purple Sprouting broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Buy them in season, and look for bright green, tight heads. Chill immediately, stored in a microperforated bag if keeping for more than a day, and eat as soon as possible
Steam Brussels sprouts for 6-8 minutes to preserve the most nutrients
Cabbage
Cut cabbage and steam it briefly (5 minutes or less) to reduce odor and increase nutritional value
Cabbage can be stored for weeks longer than broccoli or Brussels sprouts without losing its nutrients; however it is sweetest when eaten within a few days of purchase
Red cabbage is especially high in antioxidants
Recommended varieties of cabbage – red cabbage, savoy cabbage, Deadon cabbage, Mammoth Red Rock cabbage, Red Express cabbage, Ruby Perfection cabbage
Cauliflower
White cauliflower has more cancer-fighting compounds than green cauliflower or purple cauliflower, but the colored varieties are higher in antioxidants
Cauliflower can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator
Steam cauliflower rather than boil it to retain the most nutrients. Sautéing cauliflower in extra virgin olive oil adds to its nutritive value
Fresh cauliflower is more nutritious than frozen cauliflower
Recommended varieties of cauliflower – white cauliflower, colorful varieties, Celio cauliflower, Emeraude cauliflower, Graffiti cauliflower
Kale
Kale is the most bitter and beneficial of all the crucifers
Store in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator and use within a few days
It is most nutritious when eaten raw. Alternatively, steam it briefly, sauté it in extra virgin olive oil until wilted, or make roasted kale chips
Recommended varieties of kale – all varieties; Tuscan kale/Cavolo Nero kale/Lacinato kale, Red Russian kale, Redbor kale
Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson 2013 Food list

I HATE broccoli.

Maybe if you grow it yourself and eat it right out of the garden. Otherwise, not so.

Crucifers – broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale

Broccoli
Eat fresh, as once harvested it loses its sugar and nutrients very rapidly. Whole heads have more nutrients than precut florets. Chill as soon as you can and eat it raw or cook it as soon as possible. If you keep broccoli for more than one day, put it in a sealable plastic bag pricked with tiny holes, and keep it in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator
Steaming broccoli for less than 5 minutes preserves the most nutrients. Boiling it or cooking it in a microwave destroys a high percentage of its potential health benefits. Raw broccoli gives you the most sulforaphane, which fights cancer
Recommended varieties of broccoli – green broccoli, purple broccoli, Atlantic broccoli, Brigadier broccoli, Cavolo broccoli / Cavolo Broccolo broccoli, Majestic Crown broccoli, Marathan broccoli, Packman broccoli, Purple Sprouting broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Buy them in season, and look for bright green, tight heads. Chill immediately, stored in a microperforated bag if keeping for more than a day, and eat as soon as possible
Steam Brussels sprouts for 6-8 minutes to preserve the most nutrients
Cabbage
Cut cabbage and steam it briefly (5 minutes or less) to reduce odor and increase nutritional value
Cabbage can be stored for weeks longer than broccoli or Brussels sprouts without losing its nutrients; however it is sweetest when eaten within a few days of purchase
Red cabbage is especially high in antioxidants
Recommended varieties of cabbage – red cabbage, savoy cabbage, Deadon cabbage, Mammoth Red Rock cabbage, Red Express cabbage, Ruby Perfection cabbage
Cauliflower
White cauliflower has more cancer-fighting compounds than green cauliflower or purple cauliflower, but the colored varieties are higher in antioxidants
Cauliflower can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator
Steam cauliflower rather than boil it to retain the most nutrients. Sautéing cauliflower in extra virgin olive oil adds to its nutritive value
Fresh cauliflower is more nutritious than frozen cauliflower
Recommended varieties of cauliflower – white cauliflower, colorful varieties, Celio cauliflower, Emeraude cauliflower, Graffiti cauliflower
Kale
Kale is the most bitter and beneficial of all the crucifers
Store in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator and use within a few days
It is most nutritious when eaten raw. Alternatively, steam it briefly, sauté it in extra virgin olive oil until wilted, or make roasted kale chips
Recommended varieties of kale – all varieties; Tuscan kale/Cavolo Nero kale/Lacinato kale, Red Russian kale, Redbor kale
Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson 2013 Food list

I can't imagine putting vegetables in a microwave :puke:

Actually I've never even used one, but ... vegetables? I like my broccoli raw, or at the worst it might play well with others in a stir-fry.

Ideally these would come right out of the garden. I have shitty soil, haven't gotten much out of it. Actually I got some peppers to come up for the first time this year but maybe because I grew them in pots.

Just tasted the first tomato :)

Unfortunately, I'm not a real big fan of vegetables. I like carrots, peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, and a few others. I don't like any canned veggies except for corn. I do the frozen veggies because they supposedly maintain a lot of their nutritional value and they last a looooong time. :D

Forum List

Back