Budget Video Card

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
I'm having some issues with my second PC which I think may be the video card finally giving out. It's an old GTX+ 9800, I've been using it for quite some time. My main PC is running with a GT 730, so I'm considering upgrading that card and putting it into my second PC. I'm not sure what to get, however.

Right now my choices are to get something better, but still really cheap, like a GTX 1030. I can get one of those for around $60. There is a GTX 1050 available for just under $90, or an R9 380 for $105, a GTX 770 (refurb) for $110, and a GTX 1050 ti for $130.

My CPU is an FX 6300 running at stock speeds. I've never done overclocking, but if I get one of the better cards, I might try to mess with it to see if it gives me better frame rates in games.

The 1050 ti seems to be the most universally recommended, but benchmarks I've seen show little difference between it and the 770 or R9 380. I don't know enough to easily choose between the cards.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts? I'm using a 600W power supply, so that shouldn't be an issue. I tend to play older games, but I'll probably keep whichever card I get for years.

Forum List

Back