Budget umpire: Health care bills would raise costs

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
WASHINGTON (AP) - Democrats' health care bills won't meet President Barack Obama's goal of slowing the ruinous rise of medical costs, Congress' budget umpire warned on Thursday, giving weight to critics who say the legislation could break the bank.

The sobering assessment from Congressional Budget Office Director Douglas Elmendorf came as House Democrats pushed to pass a partisan bill through committees, while in the Senate a small group of lawmakers continued to seek a deal that could win support from both political parties.

With the pressure mounting on all sides, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., dismissed as "a waste of money" a television ad campaign by Obama's political organization aiming to nudge moderate Democrats off the fence. He called it "Democrats running ads against Democrats."

From the beginning of the health care debate, Obama has insisted that any overhaul must "bend the curve" of rapidly rising costs that threaten to swamp the budgets of government, businesses and families.

Asked by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, D-N.D., if the evolving legislation would bend the cost curve, the budget director responded that "the curve is being raised."

Explained Elmendorf: "In the legislation that has been reported, we do not see the sort of fundamental changes that would be necessary to reduce the trajectory of federal health spending by a significant amount. And on the contrary, the legislation significantly expands the federal responsibility for health care costs."

Even if the congressional legislation doesn't add to the federal deficit over the next years, Elmendorf said costs over the long run would keep rising at an unsustainable pace. Part of the reason is that Obama and most Democrats have refused to accept a tax on high-cost health insurance plans as part of the overhaul. There's wide agreement among economists that such a tax would give businesses and individuals an incentive to become thriftier consumers of health care.

Despite the flashing yellow light from the budget office, Congress pushed ahead Thursday.

Excite News - Budget umpire: Health care bills would raise costs

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democrats' health care bills won't meet President Barack Obama's goal of slowing the ruinous rise of medical costs, Congress' budget umpire warned on Thursday, giving weight to critics who say the legislation could break the bank.

The sobering assessment from Congressional Budget Office Director Douglas Elmendorf came as House Democrats pushed to pass a partisan bill through committees, while in the Senate a small group of lawmakers continued to seek a deal that could win support from both political parties.

With the pressure mounting on all sides, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., dismissed as "a waste of money" a television ad campaign by Obama's political organization aiming to nudge moderate Democrats off the fence. He called it "Democrats running ads against Democrats."

From the beginning of the health care debate, Obama has insisted that any overhaul must "bend the curve" of rapidly rising costs that threaten to swamp the budgets of government, businesses and families.

Asked by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, D-N.D., if the evolving legislation would bend the cost curve, the budget director responded that "the curve is being raised."

Explained Elmendorf: "In the legislation that has been reported, we do not see the sort of fundamental changes that would be necessary to reduce the trajectory of federal health spending by a significant amount. And on the contrary, the legislation significantly expands the federal responsibility for health care costs."

Even if the congressional legislation doesn't add to the federal deficit over the next years, Elmendorf said costs over the long run would keep rising at an unsustainable pace. Part of the reason is that Obama and most Democrats have refused to accept a tax on high-cost health insurance plans as part of the overhaul. There's wide agreement among economists that such a tax would give businesses and individuals an incentive to become thriftier consumers of health care.

Despite the flashing yellow light from the budget office, Congress pushed ahead Thursday.

Game, set, match.

Game, set, match.

Good luck with that. You want to lower costs? Here are five ways.

a) Support, as the CBO says you should, the eradication of the tax exclusion that protects employer-based health-care insurance;

b) Support, as Lewin and Commonwealth say you should, a public insurance option that can bargain at Medicare's rates;

c) Support, as the Office of Management and Budget and every health-care wonk in town says you should, one of the various policies floating around to give MedPAC authority to continually reform and modernize Medicare;

d) Support some form of aggressive cost-sharing that would make people extremely angry because it will save money by reducing their access to health-care services;

e) Support comparative effectiveness review that can judge not only the effectiveness but also the cost-effectiveness of various treatments, and give the federal government authority to use that data when deciding reimbursement rates.

So, which one do you support?

Courtesy of Ezra Klein - Economic and Domestic Policy, and Lots of It

Good luck with what, Nik? I don't know what the best answer is, but government run health care with costs so mind-numbing isn't it.

I'm saying, health care, cap n trade, education, bailouts . . . . besides the mind-boggling cost factor it's all designed with one thing in mind -- more government control.

Here's an example:

gov_healthcare-782794-1.jpg

More reading on the subject:

Congressional Budget Director Warns Health Care Bills Will Raise Costs - Political News - FOXNews.com

Republicans Warn of 'Web of Bureaucracy' in Democrats' Health Care Plan - Political News - FOXNews.com

Good luck with what, Nik? I don't know what the best answer is, but government run health care with costs so mind-numbing isn't it.

I'm saying, health care, cap n trade, education, bailouts . . . . besides the mind-boggling cost factor it's all designed with one thing in mind -- more government control.

Here's an example:

Congressional Budget Director Warns Health Care Bills Will Raise Costs - Political News - FOXNews.com

Republicans Warn of 'Web of Bureaucracy' in Democrats' Health Care Plan - Political News - FOXNews.com

Then why aren't you lobbying your Republican Senators to allow the Democrats to allow more cost cutting in the bill?

The reasons those things aren't in the bill is because Republicans don't want them in it. No, its not a perfect bill. Yes, its expensive. But you have the Republicans to thank for that.

And do explain exactly what you think that graph shows?

Here's an example:

Then why aren't you lobbying your Republican Senators to allow the Democrats to allow more cost cutting in the bill?

The reasons those things aren't in the bill is because Republicans don't want them in it. No, its not a perfect bill. Yes, its expensive. But you have the Republicans to thank for that.

What makes you think I haven't contacted my senators?

Government run health care isn't going to fix anything. In the end it will result in more government control and the cost . . . .

The Eye-Popping Cost of Obamacare - FOXNews.com

The 'graph' is the organizational chart of the House Democrat's Health Plan.

Last edited:

Here's an example:

What makes you think I haven't contacted my senators?

Government run health care isn't going to fix anything. In the end it will result in more government control.

The Eye-Popping Cost of Obamacare - FOXNews.com

The 'graph' is the organizational chart of the House Democrat's Health Plan.

Why do I think you haven't lobbied your senators to support ideas only Democrats espouse?

Gee. i don't know. Call it a hunch.

Nice partisan sources you got there. You maybe going to post something fair minded ever?

And yes. Its a graph showing the plan. What exactly is your issue with it?

Glad you can follow the org. chart that will be the footprint for how health care is handled. Please explain it me because I can't make heads or tails of it.

Did you read the links I posted or just see that they were from Fox and roll your eyes? Are you not concerned about the cost and bureaucracy? I'm thinking not because you appear to be ok with the government being in charge of so many choices in your life and apparently you think the government can handle things efficiently and within budget.

washingtonpost.com

Here's another option for fixing the health care system. So sorry it's from that bastard O'Reilly. Just trying to give you another POV other than MSNBC and the like. (it's the talking points from 7/16/09).

Bill O'Reilly | The O'Reilly Factor - FOXNews.com

And yes, the Republicans need to offer a definitive plan, rather than continuing to say 'we can't do this' or some other vague ideas.

Forum List

Back