Budget crunchers set their sights on military retirees’ health costs

Discussion in 'Military' started by SFC Ollie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    That is the title that the local newspaper gave to my Letter to the editor. I won't past the link because it gives my full name and all that but since i wrote it there is no copyright that says i can't republish it here......

I was really surprised it was published today. It was in response to an article they had run that claimed that Military retirees made $50K on just their pensions. Plus free healthcare. Obviously BS.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Nice piece Ollie. I did 26 years and 20 days and my little ol' pension barely covers the house and utilities. Another mis-conception is that everyone who ever served also gets free medical for life. Not true. The true beneficiaries don't cost this country nearly as much as the sacrifice that the member and his/her family has paid. My benefits have been pre-paid in pain and blood.

Gates is a career bureaucrat that never wore the uniform. Screw him.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    There is no one in public service - from the President down - who deserves to get better treatment than those who put their lives on the line for the country. No one.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. rikules

rikules fighting thugs and cons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305
    if it were up to me;

20+ years service would get free dental and medical for life (on base, at military facilities)
    for self and family (children until 18 years of age)

but pensions would not kick in until 65

30+ years would be allowed pensions after 50

5. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Instead of going after military retirees they should take a look at Welfare. Just saying.

6. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Politicians are always backing the soldier when they are in uniform because of public opinion, but once you take it off you are no longer of use to them. They forget that there are almost 22 million people who have served. Of these almost 16 million voted in the last election.

7. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    The government never keeps it's promises to Vets.

We are used and abused, cleaned up to have a medal put on for PR, then tossed aside.

If the Navy calls tonight and says the need me, I'd kiss my wife and kids goodbye.

We love this country too the core, at 43 I still get chills when I hear the Anthem and shed tears when I hear Taps. But if a pol was on fire in front of me, I would stomp out the fire just to get some hits in.

8. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    After 9-11-01 I stopped at the local recruiters to see if there was any chance I could get back on active duty. I could have, if I hadn't already had 2 stents in my heart..... I'd only been out 8 years....

9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I will tell you something that is a source of shame for me. I served 20 years in the Navy as a corpsman. When I first entered the service in 1969, after Hospital Corps School I was stationed at a large well-known Naval Hospital. I was taught very early in my career that you always give the retirees extra-special care (not that everybody didn't get good care) because they have truly earned it. When we had a retired military member on our ward as a patient we all jumped through hoops to do our best for him. Over the years I have seen that "care for the retiree" dwindle down to just about nothing. It is very difficult in my area to get an appointment in the Naval Hospital if you are a retiree - you are almost immediately referred to an outside Tri-care providing doctor rather than to be seen in the military facility. The care that SFC OLLIE refers to is indeed dwindling and promises once made are quickly being forgotten about. I believe there is a combination of reasons for this. Years ago, nearly every member of Congress had military service and understood what it was like for someone to be retired military - and the sacrifices that they made to serve the country. Now, the biggest majority of Congress critters have never served in the military and despite saying they "strongly" support the military, they only say so to reap whatever votes they can get for saying that. It isn't true. Military medical care is being raped for funds the same way the Congress mismanaged Social Security and Medicare funds. Basically, what it means, is that a promise from the government is only good as long as it isn't an inconvience or doesn't cost any money. Your OP is well-worded SFC OLLIE and sadly very true.

10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,346
    It is a good letter Ollie. Not only the military but millions of seniors who were made dependent on the government for their healthcare based on promises made are likely to get screwed if some elements of Obamacare fully kick in because the most vulnerable among us are literally in the crosshairs right now. That's bad enough but when it is our vets, many who are in worse health than they probably otherwise would be because of their service to their country, it is unconscionable that they are treated as expendable.

But if enough of us speak up, those in Washington DO want to keep their jobs, and they will hear if it's said loudly enough by enough people. :)