Buddhism: I wish to learn more

Exactly. I'd get overwhelmed by the big picture, and walk away.

It's funny though, how once you make a committment to one path, you hear the truth in others.

I can hear a Christian teaching and it will sound like Buddhism to me.

What I think is senseless is only hearing the one. The wise are found everywhere, in all walks of life. Why shut out their voices for being on a different path?

The wise would be careful not to mix it up either. In other words, don't take one from column A and one from column B.

Lineage is very important in Buddhism. I have studied a number of Buddhist teachings from different schools and we are very careful to not mix them up.

For example, I find the Beatitudes AKA Sermon on the Mount to be a beautful teaching. I hear truth when I recite it or study it. But I wouldn't mix it up with the Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life either, even though I hear truth in both.

Last edited:
"Why shut out their voices for being on a different path."

That would be a great topic in and of itself. Consider those who object to Islam. Wouldn't that be shuting out their voices for being on a different path?

I said 'the wise.' Divisiveness is not indicative of wisdom.

Do you think it possible that the Qu'ran may have some words of wisdom? I don't know. I'm not drawn to study it.

I do love poems by Rumi and Hafiz.

Do you think it possible that the Qu'ran may have some words of wisdom? I don't know. I'm not drawn to study it.

I would assume so. I haven't read it either, but I could probably do some Google digging to see what it has to offer.

I would assume so. I haven't read it either, but I could probably do some Google digging to see what it has to offer.

What I would guess, is that it is possible to find like minded people in Islam with good hearts, just like we find good hearts in Christians and good hearts in Jews and good hearts in Hindus and Buddhists.

IMHO Islam has many beautiful and true verses as does the bible - Sadly both also have some pretty nasty ideas as well.

Buddism seems to me to be less about "God (Allah) says X. Allah (God) demands Y. It is unconcerned with what god is or what god says/demands.

It is about how we can lessen our and other's suffering and how we can escape the cycle of endless lives of suffering.

More of a practicle manual for living. However, desire = suffering is a tough concept for me as I find that desire can also enhance joy and lessen suffering.

Though I am poorly versed in the ways of enlightenment - the more I know the more I know nothing.

Why seek wisdom?

Don't you find ignorance much more fun? Life is alot more challenging when one does not know what is coming!!

Wisdom makes life boring!:tongue:

By the way--what is a good book to read about Buddhaism

Last edited:
The principal teachings of Gautama Buddha can be summarised in what the Buddhists call the 'Four Noble Truths':

First - There is suffering and misery in life.

Second- The cause of this suffering and misery is desire.

Third - Suffering and misery can be removed by removing desire.

Fourth - Desire can be removed by following the Eight Fold Path.

ABSENCE OF THE CONCEPT OF GOD IN BUDDHISM

Buddha was silent about the existence or non-existence of God. Buddhism provided Dhamma or the 'impersonal law' in place of God. Many scholars consider the evolution of the concept of Buddha as a god or as an object of worship within Buddhism as an effect of Hinduism.

Read more @
Islam And Buddhism

Suffering........

Sounds like a religion fo sho.

The principal teachings of Gautama Buddha can be summarised in what the Buddhists call the 'Four Noble Truths':

First - There is suffering and misery in life.

Second- The cause of this suffering and misery is desire.

Third - Suffering and misery can be removed by removing desire.

Fourth - Desire can be removed by following the Eight Fold Path.

ABSENCE OF THE CONCEPT OF GOD IN BUDDHISM

Buddha was silent about the existence or non-existence of God. Buddhism provided Dhamma or the 'impersonal law' in place of God. Many scholars consider the evolution of the concept of Buddha as a god or as an object of worship within Buddhism as an effect of Hinduism.

Read more @
Islam And Buddhism

Concerning the absence of god in Buddhism--what do Buddhist worship?

New Topics

Forum List

Back