Buckyballs

Shit when I was growing up there were all kinds of things that could have hurt or killed me.

They didn't though because my parents never let us play with that stuff and anything we did play with was monitored by mom or dad.

Driving a company out of business because some dumb ass can't watch their kids is a bunch of bullshit.

Once again, government trying to destroy a thriving business

CPSC: Thank you for trying to drive a $50 million
New York-based consumer product company out of business.

Buckyballs | Buckycubes | The Amazing Magnetic Desktoy You Can't Put Down

"We are deeply disappointed that the CPSC has decided to go after our firm - and magnets in general. Magnets have been around for centuries and are used for all sorts of purposes. Our products are marketed to those 14 and above and out of over half a billion magnets in the market place CPSC has received reports of less than two-dozen cases of misuse. We worked with the Commission in order to do an education video less than 9 months ago, so we are shocked they are taking this action. We find it unfair, unjust and un-American," added Zucker. "We will vigorously fight this action taken by President Obama's hand picked agency."

There have been about 12 reported cases of children swallowing buckyballs and being taken to the emergency room.

Is the government gonna stop making coins with that same logic? What is it that the government really wants? One has to wonder

Buckyballs | Buckycubes | The Amazing Magnetic Desktoy You Can't Put Down
Let's see 12 cases out of 330million. Yep. There's obviously a crisis going on here. While we're at it, let's ban cars, elevators and food too. People can die from them and it's been way more than 12 emergency room visits brought about by those three items in a year.

Let's ban...

- alcohol since a kid could drink a bottle of vodka thinking it is water.

- bicycles since a kid can get run over by a car in the street riding a bike.

- swimming pools since a kid can drown.

- dogs since a kid could get killed or mauled by a dog.

- cats since their sharp claws could scratch a kid's eye.

- food since a kid could choke to death on food.

Hell, all liberals just kill themselves to remove all the dumb people that get hurt like this.

The company makes an unsafe product

They should go out of business

Oh yeah, pure genius as always. You can swallow almost anything and choke on you numbnut.

The Problem with Buckeyballs is not choking but the magnetic balls getting lodged in your stomach or intestines. As the little balls pass through your intestines the magnets attach to other balls in other parts of your intestine causing constriction. Without surgery, you can die

Nice toy...lots of fun

But not worth killing a child

I miss Jarts.
15dqipv.jpg

ANd they were perfectly safe, IF used as directed. When you throw them AT people, of fucking COURSE people will get hurt.

I had a set growing up. The directions were VERY specific about how to use them, what direction to aim (away from anyone), etc. We loved playing with them and not one of the kids in my neighborhood was ever injured by them.

Yea....the good ole days

We used to take Jarts and have one person on each side of a garage and sail them over the garage at a blind target
We used to shoot BB guns at each other
We used to ride bikes with no working brakes

Just because we lived is no reason to say it was a wise idea

Oh yeah, pure genius as always. You can swallow almost anything and choke on you numbnut.

The Problem with Buckeyballs is not choking but the magnetic balls getting lodged in your stomach or intestines. As the little balls pass through your intestines the magnets attach to other balls in other parts of your intestine causing constriction. Without surgery, you can die

Nice toy...lots of fun

But not worth killing a child

But what is the rate of child deaths due to Buckeyballs compared to a hundred other small items found in the average household? Tacks, coins, dog food, magic markers, crayons, etc.

That is the point.

This whole thing reminds me of this classic.

Fun Toy Banned Because of Three Stupid Kids.

WASHINGTON, DC–In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Wizco Toys of Montclair, NJ, recalled 245,000 Aqua Assault RoboFighters Monday after three dumb kids managed to kill themselves playing with the popular toy, ruining the fun for everybody else.

"The tragedy is inconceivable," Wizco president Alvin Cassidy said. "For years, countless children played with the Aqua Assault RoboFighter without incident. But then these three retards come along and somehow find a way to get themselves killed. So now we have to do a full recall and halt production on what was a really awesome toy. What a waste."

"My mom won't let me play with my RoboFighter because of those dumb kids who died," said 10-year-old Jeremy Daigle of Somerville, MA. "I used to set up army guys around the RoboFighter and have it run over them and conquer Earth for the Zardaxians. But now I'll never see it again, all because three stupid idiots had to go and wreck everything."

Each of the deaths was determined to be the result of gross misuse of the toy, an incredibly cool device that could shoot both plastic missiles and long jets of water, as well as maneuver over the ground on retractable wheels.

The first death occurred June 22, when 7-year-old Isaac Weiller of Grand Junction, CO, died after deliberately firing one of the spring-loaded plastic missiles into his left nostril. The missile shot into his sinuses, shattering the roof of his nasal cavity and causing a massive brain hemorrhage.

Shortly before dying, Weiller told emergency medical personnel at St. Luke's Medical Center that he had shot the missile into his nose in the belief that it would travel through his body and out his belly button.

"I've heard some pretty stupid shit in my time, but that has to take the cake," said Dr. Anderson Hunt, the attending physician. "Why would any kid think he could fire plastic missiles up his nose and expect them to come out his belly button? There's no point in feeling bad about this child's demise, because the deck was obviously stacked against him from the start. What we should feel bad about is the fact that because of him, millions of other children will no longer get to fire the RoboFighter's super-cool Devastator Missiles or soak their friends with its FunFoam WaterBlasters."

Less than one month after Weiller's death, 5-year-old Danielle Krug fatally suffocated on fragments of the toy after repeatedly smashing it with a claw hammer in the garage of her parents' La Porte, IN, home.

"I'm not kidding," said Dianne Ensor, an emergency-room nurse at Our Lady Of Peace Hospital in La Porte, where Krug was pronounced dead. "She thought the broken shards were candy. That's what you'd assume after breaking a plastic, inedible toy, right? Absolutely un-fucking-believable."

Joshua Schatzeder of Grand Rapids, MI, is forced to play with a boring little fire truck as a result of the recall.

The third and arguably stupidest death occurred August 12, when 11-year-old dumbass Michael Torres held the RoboFighter above his head and jumped off the balcony of his family's third-story Torrance, CA, apartment, thinking he would be able to fly like Superman.

"A couple of my fellow emergency workers thought we should cut the kid some slack, because at least he wasn't trying to eat the toy or shove it up his nose," said paramedic Debra Lindfors, who tried in vain to revive Torres. "I considered this for a while, but then I decided no. No way. If you're 11 years old, you should know that it's impossible to fly. And poor Wizco's probably going to go bankrupt because of this shit."

As a result of the extreme idiocy of the three children, the CPSC was forced to order Wizco to stop making the toy and remove it from store shelves, as well as recommend that parents remove it from their homes.

"I know the overwhelming majority of American kids who owned an Aqua Assault RoboFighter derived many hours of safe, responsible fun from it," CPSC commissioner Mary Sheila Gall said. "But, statistically speaking, three deaths stemming from contact with a particular toy constitutes an 'unreasonable risk.' Look, I'm really sorry about this. Honestly. But our agency's job is to protect the public from hazardous products, even if those who die are morons who deserved what they got."

I'm pissed. There was no way I was going to pay $29.99 for a box of magnets. I was waiting for the price to come down to the point where I could pick them up at The Dollar Store in a year or so.

I guess I'll have to cruise the garage sales now.

Or are they going for 500 bucks on eBay now? Oooohhhhh, you can't get these any more, Martha. We are going to make a killing!

I miss Jarts.
15dqipv.jpg

ANd they were perfectly safe, IF used as directed. When you throw them AT people, of fucking COURSE people will get hurt.

I had a set growing up. The directions were VERY specific about how to use them, what direction to aim (away from anyone), etc. We loved playing with them and not one of the kids in my neighborhood was ever injured by them.

Yea....the good ole days

We used to take Jarts and have one person on each side of a garage and sail them over the garage at a blind target
We used to shoot BB guns at each other
We used to ride bikes with no working brakes

Just because we lived is no reason to say it was a wise idea

So you're saying bike companies and makers of BB guns deserve to go out of business for making an unsafe product?

Sould all companies whose products are used in an unsafe manner be shut down?

One of your dumbest posts here...

Kudos...:clap2:

CPSC bans sale of Buckyballs magnetic toys, cites hazard | Fox News

Buckyballs are small, powerful round rare earth magnets that are sold as toys and desktop accessories. When children swallow them they can pinch or trap intestines and require surgery to remove, the CPSC said.

Since they went on the market in 2009, numerous incidents involving children have been reported. In January 2011, a 4-year-old boy had his intestine perforated after he swallowed three magnets he thought were chocolate candy, the complaint said.

Although the commission issued a safety alert in November, it has received more than a dozen reports since then of children ingesting the magnets, with many requiring surgery, it said.

Last edited:

abc_wn_batteries_fix_101205_wg.jpg

a.jpg

The first shot is a lithium battery, the kind for watches and key fobs, the second is a "double A" battery. Kids swallow the lithium battery's all the time. They kill quickly because of their size and shape in the breathing passage.

I want to know where the parent was while the child swallowed not one, not two BUT 37 magnets!

I remember having a great evening with friends until we noticed their little girl wouldn't take her finger out of her nose.. Now we all cracked up -- but I got a flashlight and there was something up there.

50 minutes later and $1200 later -- the ER docs successfully removed a fossilized green pea from her nose. He had what he called a #4 "pea remover" in his hand.

Don't think there should be warning -- do you?

Forum List

Back