Buckethead

Buckethead is great. I'm not sure why he thought he had to act so goofy to be known. A few minutes of his silly stunts is cute, but after that, it's just distracting.

Being supremely skilled in technical playing is fine. Now if only he could play some MUSIC.
I always kind of felt the same way about Frank Zappa.... granted he wrote a lot of songs and he was a great performer on stage but as far as his playing it was mostly repetitive improvisation.
What? What the fucking fuck are you talking about??
I'm saying Zappa improvised a lot as does Bucketdude.

Buckethead is great. I'm not sure why he thought he had to act so goofy to be known. A few minutes of his silly stunts is cute, but after that, it's just distracting.

Being supremely skilled in technical playing is fine. Now if only he could play some MUSIC.
I always kind of felt the same way about Frank Zappa.... granted he wrote a lot of songs and he was a great performer on stage but as far as his playing it was mostly repetitive improvisation.

I couldn't stand Frank Zappa. He was a genius, all his stuff just really grated on me.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was going for. Anything but the standard radio musac

Zappa would throw a little zinger in every time you didn't expect it, like going to a different key when you expected him to resolve a chord, or stopping in the middle of a somber section to fart. If you listened to his music, you had to listen to it to keep up. It could never just be playing in the background

Well, I get what you mean, but Frank did a LOT of music. He was avant garde. But some of his stuff was crazy good. But real musicianship isn't about technical skill as much as creativity, inventiveness. Interpretive ability. Here is some excellent musicianship from a rock guitarist, no leaping feats of flashy technical playing, in fact, pretty laid back, but with the ability to barely touch the instrument and just tease an almost infinite number of sounds and nuance from it with MEANING and FEELING. That is music, not the fried chicken bucket queen.

Zappa would throw a little zinger in every time you didn't expect it, like going to a different key when you expected him to resolve a chord, or stopping in the middle of a somber section to fart. If you listened to his music, you had to listen to it to keep up. It could never just be playing in the background

Zappa was more of an intellectual player playing to the intellect as well as often making some social comment. Here is some classic Zappa you might not have ever heard of him playing with Capt. Beefheart:

Well, I get what you mean, but Frank did a LOT of music. He was avant garde. But some of his stuff was crazy good. But real musicianship isn't about technical skill as much as creativity, inventiveness. Interpretive ability. Here is some excellent musicianship from a rock guitarist, no leaping feats of flashy technical playing, in fact, pretty laid back, but with the ability to barely touch the instrument and just tease an almost infinite number of sounds and nuance from it with MEANING and FEELING. That is music, not the fried chicken bucket queen.

I got a feeling we might hear a little more from that little girl on the bass in the next few years. Playing with that quality of musicians at her age can't hurt her future.

Forum List

Back