Buchanan: Hitler didn’t want war

Jay Canuck

by Crom you'll pay!
Jul 30, 2009
Excerpt:
Pat Buchanan is coming under fire for arguing that Hitler didn’t want a European war, and that World War II could have been avoided if Poland had agreed to hand over Gdansk to Germany.

He even appears to have implied that the Holocaust wouldn’t have happened if the Allied powers hadn’t guaranteed Poland’s security. Buchanan wrote:

The German-Polish war (sic) had come out of a quarrel over a town the size of Ocean City, Md., in summer. Danzig, 95 percent German, had been severed from Germany at Versailles in violation of Woodrow Wilson’s principle of self-determination. Even British leaders thought Danzig should be returned.

Why did Warsaw not negotiate with Berlin, which was hinting at an offer of compensatory territory in Slovakia? Because the Poles had a war guarantee from Britain that, should Germany attack, Britain and her empire would come to Poland’s rescue.

Buchanan followed his assertion that Poland could have prevented the war with an argument that Hitler was not interested in a broad war to conquer the world. -
Link

You see...... Hitler invaded other countries, like Bush did Iraq, for defensive purposes.

hitler-buchanan.jpg

"we will be greeted as liberators!"

but seriously folks.... the GOP will continue to try and rewrite history as long as they can get away with it!

what's next -

" Torture, the Iraq war and tax cuts saved America."

bush-monkey-1840.jpg

"How long did it take the right to go from: "if you criticize the President you are a traitor" to 'School children should not trust the President.'"
-- JF at TPM

Obviously, Hitler misspoke Obama-like when rearmed and again when he asked for and took Sudetenland

northside kings.. funny video.

I dunno.. I liked Danzig 1-4.. Liked the Misfits more though.

I probably wouldn't pin Pat's words on the rest of the republican party. Pat is a political vessel unto himself.

Buchanan is right. There wouldn't have been any war if the Poles had just given up.

My wife and I have friends near Ocean City MD, nice place.

I probably wouldn't pin Pat's words on the rest of the republican party. Pat is a political vessel unto himself.

I have to agree with this quote. It would be interesting to see how many Republicans DO line up with his radical ideas, but I can't imagine it's more that 20%

Buchanan is right. There wouldn't have been any war if the Poles had just given up.
My wife and I have friends near Ocean City MD, nice place.

and you know this because? (will a time machine come into play here?):eusa_eh:

I have to agree with this quote. It would be interesting to see how many Republicans DO line up with his radical ideas, but I can't imagine it's more that 20%

You might want to look up Joe Kennedy while you're at it.

Excerpt:
Pat Buchanan is coming under fire for arguing that Hitler didn’t want a European war, and that World War II could have been avoided if Poland had agreed to hand over Gdansk to Germany.

He even appears to have implied that the Holocaust wouldn’t have happened if the Allied powers hadn’t guaranteed Poland’s security. Buchanan wrote:

The German-Polish war (sic) had come out of a quarrel over a town the size of Ocean City, Md., in summer. Danzig, 95 percent German, had been severed from Germany at Versailles in violation of Woodrow Wilson’s principle of self-determination. Even British leaders thought Danzig should be returned.

Why did Warsaw not negotiate with Berlin, which was hinting at an offer of compensatory territory in Slovakia? Because the Poles had a war guarantee from Britain that, should Germany attack, Britain and her empire would come to Poland’s rescue.

Buchanan followed his assertion that Poland could have prevented the war with an argument that Hitler was not interested in a broad war to conquer the world. -
Link

The Germans and particularly the Naziis saw themselves as defenders of Europe against Bolshivism.
Buchanan is completely wrong on this account. Hitler did not want war with England and France, his goal was to destroy Bolshivism and occupy Russia, Poland was in the way. Demanding the return of the "corridor" was just one step towards that goal. BTW Danzig was a "free city" and was used by Hitler as leverage against the Poles. Hitler saw England as a natural ally against Bolshivism and was suprised and disappointed when England declared war on Germany. As for the holocaust being stopped, I seriously doubt it, Hitler and the Naziis had taken Eugenics to the extreme ends.
Kinda shoots holes in your Hitler/Bush comparison.

Excerpt:

Link

The Germans and particularly the Naziis saw themselves as defenders of Europe against Bolshivism.
Buchanan is completely wrong on this account. Hitler did not want war with England and France, his goal was to destroy Bolshivism and occupy Russia, Poland was in the way. Demanding the return of the "corridor" was just one step towards that goal. BTW Danzig was a "free city" and was used by Hitler as leverage against the Poles. Hitler saw England as a natural ally against Bolshivism and was suprised and disappointed when England declared war on Germany. As for the holocaust being stopped, I seriously doubt it, Hitler and the Naziis had taken Eugenics to the extreme ends.
Kinda shoots holes in your Hitler/Bush comparison.

the comparison that what Hitler was doing was for defence..... like Bush with Iraq?

Buchanan brings up some great points in his article. I've not yet read Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War but I plan to do so soon.

Patton considered WWII a huge strategic failure because it "left 2 of 3 of the great European capitals in the hands of the descendants of Genghis Khan"

He really did want to rearm the German Army and strike Eastward.

We might now have a modern Democrat Party had be been successful in that effort.

Forum List

Back