Btitain's prime minister wants to woo Trump

An ally does not criticize publicly a Secretary of State. To do so is undiplomatic.

Come jan 20th we will see how diplomatic she can be.
Traditionally, the English do as they are told by the Americans.
Where are you from? Spain?
I live in the European Union. The English will be leaving us soon.
I asked about the country you live in. But okay, it is not that significant, actually. What I want to say is that you remark in the post 14 is relevant for almost every country in the world. You can wrote “Traditionally, the government of my country do as they told by the EU bureaucrats” and it will be true, won’t it? But you are okay with it, I suppose.
The European Commission is given policies to develop by the democratically elected leaders of the member states. The Commissioners are also appointed by their democratically elected heads of governments, one per country.

An ally does not criticize publicly a Secretary of State. To do so is undiplomatic.

Not sure what you're referring to. The UK is a major power. Our ability to push them around, if we wanted to, would be very limited.

If the UK wanted to leave NATO, for example, what could we do about it? Bitch?
What I'm getting at is that Theresa May will do as Trump wants.

Trump wants the US to stop being taken advantage of in trade.

That's a pretty reasonable request. It would be smart of May to work with him on that.
Trump's wish will be May's command.

Not sure what you're referring to. The UK is a major power. Our ability to push them around, if we wanted to, would be very limited.

If the UK wanted to leave NATO, for example, what could we do about it? Bitch?
What I'm getting at is that Theresa May will do as Trump wants.

Trump wants the US to stop being taken advantage of in trade.

That's a pretty reasonable request. It would be smart of May to work with him on that.
Trump's wish will be May's command.

Seems pretty unlikely.

I asked about the country you live in. But okay, it is not that significant, actually. What I want to say is that you remark in the post 14 is relevant for almost every country in the world. You can wrote “Traditionally, the government of my country do as they told by the EU bureaucrats” and it will be true, won’t it? But you are okay with it, I suppose.
The European Commission is given policies to develop by the democratically elected leaders of the member states. The Commissioners are also appointed by their democratically elected heads of governments, one per country.
Yes, that’s right, but if say Germany’s wishes will contradict say Latvia’s ones, then I will have some doubts that Latvia will get what it wants from the Euro Commission.

Yes, that’s right, but if say Germany’s wishes will contradict say Latvia’s ones, then I will have some doubts that Latvia will get what it wants from the Euro Commission.
Although Angela Merkel is a natural leader in Europe, all countries have equal standing in the Council of Ministers and the Commission. It is only in the European Parliament that larger countries have a per capita representation but the parliament cannot initiate any laws.

Although Angela Merkel is a natural leader in Europe, all countries have equal standing in the Council of Ministers and the Commission. It is only in the European Parliament that larger countries have a per capita representation but the parliament cannot initiate any laws.
Look, I am not talking about what exists in theory, because in theory always everything is clear, right, and just. The British government also has equal rights with the US on international stage, has a veto right in the UN and other blah-blah-blah. But that doesn’t make it equal with the US in your view. In the same way, a consensus voting system, a commissioner per every country and other blah-blah doesn’t make European countries equal in practice in my views. In every bloc (formal or informal) always there is a leader that has influence over the others.

BTW, I think that the system that formally gives equal rights for every member is disadvantage rather than advantage. It is hilarious when say Malta can theoretically block a decision that may be pivotal for one of the largest trading blocs in the world. Such system should be scrapped if the EU wants to succeed, though it means that small countries will virtually lose their sovereignty.

Look, I am not talking about what exists in theory, because in theory always everything is clear, right, and just. The British government also has equal rights with the US on international stage, has a veto right in the UN and other blah-blah-blah. But that doesn’t make it equal with the US in your view. In the same way, a consensus voting system, a commissioner per every country and other blah-blah doesn’t make European countries equal in practice in my views. In every bloc (formal or informal) always there is a leader that has influence over the others.

BTW, I think that the system that formally gives equal rights for every member is disadvantage rather than advantage. It is hilarious when say Malta can theoretically block a decision that may be pivotal for one of the largest trading blocs in the world. Such system should be scrapped if the EU wants to succeed, though it means that small countries will virtually lose their sovereignty.
European countries all value their sovereignty. Small countries are equal to big ones both at the level of the Council and the Commission. This is a guarantee that no one large country with a healthy economy such as Germany can dominate the others when it comes to treaties and legislation with a final approval by the parliament which is weighted in representation by population. (It is not dissimilar from every state in the United States having two senators regardless of size.) Hence, there is a need for consensus to get anything done. This is a common way of governing in European countries which use proportional representation, designed to prevent parties with a minority of votes pushing through legislation which does not have broad support. I can see that you do not believe this but it is fundamental in the European Union and it works.

People who are brought up in a first past the post system like England find coalition government to be rare and awkward. Also, the English are not accustomed to be equal to other countries. I do not know why but I can guess it is because the English have a superiority complex as a result of the former empire, or being on the victors' side in WWII, or the size of their economy, or a combination of these or something else. Bear in mind that most of the EU countries know what it is like to have been defeated in the last century's wars which originated in Europe and are determined that this should not happen again. England has no such experience. It is this history which is responsible for the aspiration of "ever closer union" that is written in EU treaties and which were signed by the English although most people in England act as if this was never agreed to by their government.

Because England was on the side of the Allies in WWII, it has a permanent seat on the UN Security Council and sees itself as more important than other European countries, even France which was defeated in 1940. In a sense, this explains why the English have a special relationship with the USA, both being Anglophone. Theresa May probably believes all this and can be predictably presumed to want to woo Donald Trump.

Theresa May wants to get in the good books of Donald Trump so that the pair will bring back the good old days of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. Such a fetching couple they were.

Maggi%20and%20Ronnie_zpszo2eeza7.jpg

Ronnie had a good time dancing with Maggie although, it is said, he could hardly understand her accent.

But how was Theresa May going to recapture the same special relationship with Donald Trump. One way is to agree with him and let him have his way. Knowing that Trump told the prime minister of Zionist Israel to hold on until her takes over the Oval Office when he will back up Israel right or wrong, a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. So, Theresa May hit out at John Kerry for his criticism of the extreme right wing government Israel has these days for calling it extreme right wing. Since Israel boasts of being a democracy, the fact that the government consists of Zionists from the illegal settlements reflects the will of the Israeli people and should not be called names, May claims in a report in THE TIMES today.

Yes, Theresa May wants the minority president-elect to know that the two can tango notwithstanding Britain's vote to condemn the illegal settlements in occupied Palestine, including East Jerusalem, at the UN Security Council's Resolution 2334 last week. Speaking from both sides of the mouth is an art mastered by many an English politician.

partners_zps81dhib5m.jpg

Though we danced for one moment and too soon we had to part
In that wonderful moment something happened to my heart ...
It is an understandable move for May, especially considering Brexit. Britain and the US are natural allies. I don’t see any reasons why she wouldn’t push for closer ties with the US.
Criticizing openly a speech by the United States' Secretary of State is hardly the act of an ally.

Constructive criticism is not an unfriendly act.

It seems pretty diplomatic to me if the goal is an improved relationship with the new administration. The old administration is gone before any fruit would ripen. Planting a seed with the new administration before he takes office can be seen as going out on a limb for him. Women know that a good ego stroking works wonders with certain types.

She is in a similar position sort of. The pendulum is swinging in both countries. Both countries are shaking things up, which may lose them some "friends" and gain them some "friends." It may be smart of her to jockey for position now.

Theresa May wants to get in the good books of Donald Trump so that the pair will bring back the good old days of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. Such a fetching couple they were.

Maggi%20and%20Ronnie_zpszo2eeza7.jpg

Ronnie had a good time dancing with Maggie although, it is said, he could hardly understand her accent.

But how was Theresa May going to recapture the same special relationship with Donald Trump. One way is to agree with him and let him have his way. Knowing that Trump told the prime minister of Zionist Israel to hold on until her takes over the Oval Office when he will back up Israel right or wrong, a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. So, Theresa May hit out at John Kerry for his criticism of the extreme right wing government Israel has these days for calling it extreme right wing. Since Israel boasts of being a democracy, the fact that the government consists of Zionists from the illegal settlements reflects the will of the Israeli people and should not be called names, May claims in a report in THE TIMES today.

Yes, Theresa May wants the minority president-elect to know that the two can tango notwithstanding Britain's vote to condemn the illegal settlements in occupied Palestine, including East Jerusalem, at the UN Security Council's Resolution 2334 last week. Speaking from both sides of the mouth is an art mastered by many an English politician.

partners_zps81dhib5m.jpg

Though we danced for one moment and too soon we had to part
In that wonderful moment something happened to my heart ...
It is an understandable move for May, especially considering Brexit. Britain and the US are natural allies. I don’t see any reasons why she wouldn’t push for closer ties with the US.
Criticizing openly a speech by the United States' Secretary of State is hardly the act of an ally.

It seems pretty diplomatic to me if the goal is an improved relationship with the new administration. The old administration is gone before any fruit would ripen. Planting a seed with the new administration before he takes office can be seen as going out on a limb for him. Women know that a good ego stroking works wonders with certain types.

She is in a similar position sort of. The pendulum is swinging in both countries. Both countries are shaking things up, which may lose them some "friends" and gain them some "friends." It may be smart of her to jockey for position now.
Americans do not take kindly to foreign politicians criticizing the presidential appointees, even those who think they are ingratiating themselves with an incoming Administration. If Theresa May can stab a president in the back now, she can do it again.

Americans do not take kindly to foreign politicians criticizing the presidential appointees, even those who think they are ingratiating themselves with an incoming Administration. If Theresa May can stab a president in the back now, she can do it again.

Americans took May's side on this. Even our own congress criticized Kerry/Obama on this one.

MyWay

The EU has an annual trade surplus of about 150 billion euro with the U.S. The EU GDP is about 17 trillion. Not a big deal. If the U.S. imposes impediments to EU exports the EU will impose countervailing impediments to US exports. And, I bet we won't stop buying German cars, and EU luxury goods. We will just pay more for them. If Apple gets too expensive in Europe, the Europeans will drift to Samsung, etc.

The EU has an annual trade surplus of about 150 billion euro with the U.S. The EU GDP is about 17 trillion. Not a big deal. If the U.S. imposes impediments to EU exports the EU will impose countervailing impediments to US exports. And, I bet we won't stop buying German cars, and EU luxury goods. We will just pay more for them. If Apple gets too expensive in Europe, the Europeans will drift to Samsung, etc.
There is an openness for trade between the USA and the European Union (EU) while both surely protects industries and services. New York will be attractive to some of the banks and financial services which will want to leave London since Brexit. Equally, others will want to remain in the EU and it looks like the three states I mentioned in my opening post will be vying for their locations.

I read that the UK Supreme Court stopped the Brexit for now :eusa_think:

I believe the English Supreme Court has not ruled on Brexit yet but might require parliament to vote on the whole issue. This will include the House of Lords.

I believe the English Supreme Court has not ruled on Brexit yet but might require parliament to vote on the whole issue. This will include the House of Lords.

So much for democracy.

Forum List

Back