Bryant Gumbel Is A Putz

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
If a white reporter said this........

-----

There were some eye-opening remarks from Bryant Gumbel on the most recent episode of HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel. According to a transcript posted by a television columnist named Seth Frelich, Gumbel said the following in his closing monologue last week (emphasis mine):

"Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t care about them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying ... Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin."

The comments have received scant coverage, with the San Francisco Chronicle (in a betting column) and The Columbus Dispatch (in a "People in the News" column) among the few outlets that have even mentioned the episode.

Kudos to radio talk-show host Larry Elder for highlighting the remarks.

Gumbel's remarks have been followed by many angry posts at HBO's Real Sports Bulletin Boards. The story was also picked up at Free Republic, where one poster wrote, "Remember what they did to Rush over the McNabb remark. I will contact HBO."

http://newsbusters.org/node/4057

Bryant Gumbel has got to be one of the world's largest pricks. I think he is got too much time on his hands if he has to read this far into the Olympics. Some people can make anything political. i.e. the Olympics look like a GOP convention.

How many black people do you know that complain about the cold? Hell everyone that i know says to me "Ain't no way you'd get me on a ski hill" whenever i mention going skiing or snowboarding. So wtf is Gumbel crying about? Black athletes, nah black people arent accustomed to the cold in general. Does that mean that they are superior athletes but just dont want to get cold? No! it means that they cant play winter sports because they arent good at them if they cant get over a little temperature change. Its not a fluke that there are only 3 Black NHL players in a sport thats been around for almost 100 years while other North American Sports have had numerous black athletes dominate them. "Its cold, nigga."

Gumbel is a hack. Thats why hes on HBO and not ESPN.

"Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing"

Yep like those Greeks ever heard of those wonderful summer Olympic sports like gymnastics, diving, syncronized swimming, kyakin(sp), cycling and did they have poll vault back then????? :cuckoo:

"So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. "

So what he's saying here is since blacks aren't represented than obviously these arn't the BEST athletes. Some great black downhill ski champion is tied up in the back of a car somewhere so the white boys will win something, give me a break. :bang3:

I doubt it has anything to do with the fact that a majority of the black population lives in Africa which is warm all year around and hence little opportunity to practice winter sports... No its probably all racism.

I doubt it has anything to do with the fact that a majority of the black population lives in Africa which is warm all year around and hence little opportunity to practice winter sports... No its probably all racism.

one of the top US short track skaters is black....gumbel talks like a white dude...anyone gonna call him on that?

Trigg said:
http://www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/c...e=realspo rts

here's a link in case anyone wants to complain. He's an ass and deserves bad press for racist comments like this.
They must be Overwhelmed! :D

Error 404--Not Found
From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

Mr. P said:
The link is jacked up. New world lingo to me, what does it mean?
Haha, sorry.

Jacked up = broken, dysfunctional, etc. etc.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/j.html
jack n
1. a five pound note. Origin: Rhyming slang - Jack' alive. Submitted by D. Fisher, London, England, 01-06-1997.
2. nothing, very little. ("You don't know jack!") Submitted by Sue Clark, St. Louis, MO, USA, 27-10-1997.
3. a cigarette. ("Hey, could I get a jack?") Submitted by Aubrey Harrington, MD, USA, 19-05-1998.
4. a sweet, sensitive, adorable guy. Origin: Jack Dawson, the main male character in the movie Titanic . ("He's a real Jack.")

- v
1. to stab.
2. to punch. ("He got jacked in the face.") Submitted by Karl Bartolome, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 6-6-1997.
3. to steal or to be stolen. ("I bet they jacked that watch." "My car got jacked.")

jacked adj
1. broken or ruined. ("My car is completely jacked!") Submitted by Jonathan Skaggs, Austin, TX, USA, 30-11-2001.
2. extremely muscular. ("That guy is jacked.") Submitted by Jon Saltzman, Niskayuna, NY, USA, 10-05-1998.

jacked up adj
1. stabbed or attacked. ("He got into a fight and got all jacked up.")
2. broken or ruined. ("You really jacked his car up!")
3. displeasing, rude, etc. ("What you did to her was jacked up.") Submitted by Karl Bartolome.

Forum List

Back