Bruce Willis Taking On MSM Re: iraq Coverage

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1892675,00.html

The Sunday Times November 27, 2005

Bruce Willis comes out fighting for Iraq’s forgotten GI heroes
Sarah Baxter, Washington

ANGERED by negative portrayals of the conflict in Iraq, Bruce Willis, the Hollywood star, is to make a pro-war film in which American soldiers will be depicted as brave fighters for freedom and democracy.

It will be based on the exploits of the heavily decorated members of Deuce Four, the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry, which has spent the past year battling insurgents in the northern Iraqi town of Mosul.

Willis attended Deuce Four’s homecoming ball this month in Seattle, Washington, where the soldiers are on leave, along with Stephen Eads, the producer of Armageddon and The Sixth Sense.

The 50-year-old actor said that he was in talks about a film of “these guys who do what they are asked to for very little money to defend and fight for what they consider to be freedom”.

Unlike many Hollywood stars Willis supports the war and recently offered a $1m (about £583,000) bounty for the capture of any of Al-Qaeda’s most wanted leaders such as Osama Bin Laden, Ayman Al-Zawahiri or Abu Musab al- Zarqawi, its commander in Iraq. Willis visited the war zone with his rock and blues band, the Accelerators, in 2003.

“I am baffled to understand why the things I saw happening in Iraq are not being reported,” he told MSNBC, the American news channel.

He is expected to base the film on the writings of the independent blogger Michael Yon, a former special forces green beret who was embedded with Deuce Four and sent regular dispatches about their heroics.

Yon was at the soldiers’ ball with Willis, who got to know him through his internet war reports on www.michaelyon.blogspot.com. “What he is doing is something the American media and maybe the world media isn’t doing,” the actor said, “and that’s telling the truth about what’s happening in the war in Iraq.”

Willis is likely to take on the role of the unit’s commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Erik Kurilla, 39, a Bruce Willis lookalike with a chest full of medals, more hair than Willis and a glamorous blonde wife.

He was injured in August after being shot three times by insurgents “in front of my eyes”, Yon recorded in his blog: “He continued to direct his men until a medic gave him morphine and the men took him away.”

Kurilla now has a titanium plate in his leg. He met Willis at the ball and said that his men were “very excited and appreciative that he was there”. ”

Deuce Four has a chequered history. For decades it was a segregated black unit commanded by a white officer. It was disbanded in 1951 but veterans felt hurt that its past was considered to be a stain on the army and it was revived in the mid-1990s.

When the battalion arrived in Mosul in November last year the city was under threat from insurgents. “We faced very heavy fighting for about three months,” Kurilla recalled. “Every patrol was making contact with enemy forces. We would hit them where they slept, where they worked and where they ate.”

Today the picture was very different, he said. “I have watched a city that was in absolute chaos turn into one that has a viable Iraqi security force, which is taking the lead in fighting the terrorists.”

Yon, 41, went to Iraq after a friend from high school, Scott Helveston, a former navy Seal, was hanged from a bridge in Falluja in an incident that shocked the world. Yon had never blogged before but was the author of Danger Close, a book about his experience as a green beret when he killed a man in a bar-room brawl. He was charged with murder and acquitted on the grounds of self-defence.

“When I landed in Baghdad I was immediately struck by how much of a war zone it was,” Yon said. “Explosions were going off constantly. It was full-on.”

His first experience of Mosul was worse: “I got attacked on my first mission. One of our vehicles got hit with a car bomb and three guys were killed.”

In May, Yon took a photograph of a soldier from the Deuce Four cradling a little Iraqi girl who had been fatally wounded by a suicide bomber. He sensed that the inhabitants of Mosul were turning against the insurgents. “People began to realise that all the insurgents ever did was break things and kill people,” he said. “It started to switch from a firefight to an intelligence war. People started to talk more to us. They would pull us over and give us tips.”

The Iraqi security forces began to take pride in their work, Yon added: “These guys were getting slaughtered but they continued to volunteer and fight. It’s very dangerous now to be a terrorist in Mosul. They’re still out there but it’s not like it was.”

Willis said it would be wrong for Americans to give up on Iraq just as progress is being made. “The Iraqi people want to live in a world where they can move from their homes to the market and not have to fear being killed,” he said. “I mean, doesn’t everybody want that?”

Abbey Normal said:
-

Very, very, very very, COOL!!!

:banana: :clap: :thup: :clap1: :rock: :usa: :dance: :thewave: :) :beer:

I must say I'm very excited, I sent a few bucks to Michael when he first requested some for cameras, etc. He has been doing a fantastic job!

Wouldn't it be fun to see a fight between Bruce Willis and Sean Penn, or Bruce Willis and Al Franken, or Bruce Willis and Alec Baldwin, or Bruce Willis and Psychobules. My guess would be that he could take them all on at once and if he needed any backup he could call Magnum(Tom Selleck, also an outspoken conservative in Hollywood). :rotflmao:

I'll support this movie with my dollars!

sitarro said:
Wouldn't it be fun to see a fight between Bruce Willis and Sean Penn, or Bruce Willis and Al Franken, or Bruce Willis and Alec Baldwin, or Bruce Willis and Psychobules. My guess would be that he could take them all on at once and if he needed any backup he could call Magnum(Tom Selleck, also an outspoken conservative in Hollywood). :rotflmao:

I'll support this movie with my dollars!

With Ted Nugent providing covering fire.

I think I may have to go out and buy the Die Hard trilogy and The Fifth Element just for this.

Hobbit said:

I think I may have to go out and buy the Die Hard trilogy and The Fifth Element just for this.

The Fifth Element. . . . great stuff!

I remember hearing Ted Nugent calling the Opie and Anthony show and firing large caliber weapons on the air. He's definitely a wild and crazy guy.

This is exactly what to expect from Bruce Willis. He is truely an American Patriot that honestly cares for those that fight for our freedom.

If you want to see the "real" Bruce Willis might I suggest watching the movie "In Country". It was made around 1980. It is about a group ov Viet Nam vets living in Kentucky and how the left perceived the war causing the vets to withdraw in an attempt to forget about what happened.

Any one that can watch this movie from start to finish and come away with dry eyes is simply not human. It is not a combat movie. It is a movie that shows how the "real" veterans feel and how they were treated. There is not a John Kerry or Murtha veteran in the mix. These are all common veterans and I would like to suggest it for viewing if you haven't seen it.

:salute:

Bruce Willis is the Hollywood exception rather than the rule and I applaud him for all he has done on behalf of all veterans.

The most obvious thing to do, the right thing to do and it takes someone a ton of courage to do

Mr. Willis, you're a good man!

sitarro said:
The Fifth Element. . . . great stuff!

I remember hearing Ted Nugent calling the Opie and Anthony show and firing large caliber weapons on the air. He's definitely a wild and crazy guy.

never liked Fifth Element much, but I am not really big into SciFi either...I do like the Die Hard series.

Bruce Willis is great in The Whole 9 Yards & The Whole 10 Yards (yes, i like both of them)

Looks like I will be going and getting the trilogy as well for Die Hard. Tim is more into that than I am, but I will watch them if they are on.

Also, he was on "That 70's Show" recently, as the sleazy manager of a strip club that Kelso wanted to be a rent-a-cop at. Pretty good show.

Three cheers for ex-Mr-Demi Moore!

Hobbit said:

Been there done that. Bought the Trilogy on DVD the day it became available. Its alot cheaper now at around $40. 5th element is kind of cheesy but its a good flick. I think what i like most about Willis is that he's an action hero that you feel you could be in his shoes. He's a regular guy just doing his job in Die Hard and gets caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. He has a troubled marriage like most normal people but still loves his wife. He manages to be an ordinary person and do extraordinary things.

Between him and Arnie, they are my 2 favorite actors in Hollywood.

insein said:
Been there done that. Bought the Trilogy on DVD the day it became available. Its alot cheaper now at around $40. 5th element is kind of cheesy but its a good flick. I think what i like most about Willis is that he's an action hero that you feel you could be in his shoes. He's a regular guy just doing his job in Die Hard and gets caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. He has a troubled marriage like most normal people but still loves his wife. He manages to be an ordinary person and do extraordinary things.

Between him and Arnie, they are my 2 favorite actors in Hollywood.

Dude, I just had the most AWESOME though. Put the governator, Bruce Willis, and Mel Gibson all in the same movie, and make sure Gibson knows to have a throwback to his days in "Lethal Weapon." We could call it something like, "Democrats Suck (working title)," and it could be similar to Die Hard, except all the hostages keep telling them that maybe if they sit down and talk with the terrorists and sing hippy songs, the terrorists will just apologize and leave. The hostages could also accuse the three of attacking the terrorists just so they could take gas money out of their wallets.

Hobbit said:
Dude, I just had the most AWESOME though. Put the governator, Bruce Willis, and Mel Gibson all in the same movie, and make sure Gibson knows to have a throwback to his days in "Lethal Weapon." We could call it something like, "Democrats Suck (working title)," and it could be similar to Die Hard, except all the hostages keep telling them that maybe if they sit down and talk with the terrorists and sing hippy songs, the terrorists will just apologize and leave. The hostages could also accuse the three of attacking the terrorists just so they could take gas money out of their wallets.

:rotflmao:
AND...they all drive Hummers. Not H2's, but the real things

great movie idea, as long as the 3 don't care about being blacklisted the rest of their careers. Mel certainly doesn't as he has gone his own way, and is still more successful than most other hollyweird stars.

fuzzykitten99 said:
:rotflmao:
AND...they all drive Hummers. Not H2's, but the real things

great movie idea, as long as the 3 don't care about being blacklisted the rest of their careers. Mel certainly doesn't as he has gone his own way, and is still more successful than most other hollyweird stars.

Whos going to blacklist Arnie and Bruce? I guess a director that believes being poor is better then bowing to those right wing bastards. Arnie and Bruce sell tickets. Mel Gibson does too but he's smart enough to make his own money now.

insein said:
Whos going to blacklist Arnie and Bruce? I guess a director that believes being poor is better then bowing to those right wing bastards. Arnie and Bruce sell tickets. Mel Gibson does too but he's smart enough to make his own money now.

Arnie seems to have retired out of the movies, which is fine, as all he seems to be able to do is action films.

Dunno about Bruce. If he's blacklisted, it definitely won't be made too obvious, as he's not been in many recent movies anyway. I think what he's doing is great, caring more about truth than money, making me definitely wanting to see the movie when its out. But you can bet that he won't be in many more major films unless the big leftie directors and producers are more willing to look the other way.

Forum List

Back