Brown's win could help the Democrats

Your definition of "the American People", as usual, being the section of the population that belongs to the "Tea Party".

Like all those folks in Masschusetts, arguably one of the bluest states in the country, who just elected a Republican senator for the first time in a half century? God I hope you're right and they were all Tea Partiers. That would be the best thing that could ever happen to this country.

Brown's win could help the Democrats. Now, instead of trying to pass watered down legislation to get a 60 vote majority in the Senate, they should just do what George Bush did...use reconciliation to pass what they want.

No more negotiating with scumbags like Nelson and Liebermann. Just pass what is best for the country instead of what will avoid a filabuster.

And while you are at it, get rid of the filabuster. It is incredibly undemocratic.

You haven't been paying much attention to various House and Senate Dims since they got their little world rocked Tuesday night. Several of them have already headed to the tall grass for cover.

Personally I wish they'd do just as you suggest, but not enough of them have the stomach for political suicide.

My bad since I assumed that when Harry Reid said this when asked by Tom Daschle about the possibility of a (Frist style) nuclear option under his leadership he said .....

"As long as I am the leader, the answer is no. I think we should just forget that. That is a black chapter in the history of the Senate. I hope we never, ever get to that again. I really do believe it will ruin our country."

The only "nuclear option" left open to Senator Reid was reconciliation, since then the media has picked up the ball and run with it often referring to reconciliation as the "nuclear option" without any objections (that I've ever seen) from Congressional Democrats, it is after all a rather generic term.

But your point is well taken, I haven't heard Harry Reid specifically refer to reconciliation as the "Nuclear Option" (not that he hasn't I've just never heard it).

That's because Harry Reid is, and you'll have to excuse my French here,a giant pussy.

The Nuclear Option has actually been put on the table a number of times since it was first introduced in 1957, and usually by Democrats.

Here's the reason it should happen:

The division lines in our country, along the partisan divide, have been basically set in stone. Neither party is going to garner above 60 senate seats at any time in the near future.

That means, that since congress has basically become two solid camps that will never support the other's legislation, the government is basically stuck in a stalemate and cannot get anything done.

Any meaningful legislation from this point on will simply be filibustered out of existence by the minority party.

Yes the 2005 Republican leadership WAS deranged, however the instance in question was a judicial nomination not anything even approaching the magnitude current health care legislation AND they didn't go through with it, did they?

The ONLY reason they didn't go through with it was because the Democrats caved.

Were you hiding in a cave in November 2006 or something?

Strange, I don't remember ANYONE talking about the "Nuclear Option" at any point during 2006. I do remember sex scandal, protest over the Iraq War, and a whole lot of republican anger over government spending, but not word one about the Nuclear Option.

Your definition of "the American People", as usual, being the section of the population that belongs to the "Tea Party".

Like all those folks in Masschusetts, arguably one of the bluest states in the country, who just elected a Republican senator for the first time in a half century? God I hope you're right and they were all Tea Partiers. That would be the best thing that could ever happen to this country.

Which was completely the fault of the candidate at hand and the lack of support from the party. Coakley was fucking awful, and no-one outside Massachusetts even knew who Brown was until shortly before the election.

Which was completely the fault of the candidate at hand and the lack of support from the party. Coakley was fucking awful, and no-one outside Massachusetts even knew who Brown was until shortly before the election.

lack of support from which party?

I dont really care what your 15% of the population thinking it doenst go far enough when the rest want the monstrousity shut down and actually want teh legislators to *gasp* read and write their own bills.

And I don't give a shit about what your 15% of the population thinks.

My point is that when you have a poll asking "do you support the health care bill", you need to point out that a good portion of the respondents are answering no due to the fact that they think it's too watered down, not because they disagree with health care reform.

I would rather the Congress go on a long vacation and do absolutely nothing rather than pass legislation that a) is poorly conceived, poorly understoood, or intentionally deceptive and/or b) is clearly against the better interests of the people and/or c) most of the people don't want.

If you think the Congressional leftists are taking popularity hits by trying to pass destructive legislation, just wait to see the opinion of the people if they pull some unethical rule changes and actually do it.

The President already crashed the market this morning by threatening his own version of 'nuclear option' on the banks and financial institutions while addressing absolutely NONE of the issues that mostly created the mess in the first place. If Congress supports him in that turn out the lights. The party is over.

Oh yeah, you're SOOO right on that one... Not.

The major Banks have essentially become monopolies that work in concert to raise interest rates on consumer debt to ridiculous levels and make sure that people have nowhere to turn for a better deal.

I don't even understand why they need new laws to break up the major banks, they can already do so through anti-trust laws. Perhaps they're trying to make sure the Banks can't use their insane amount of wealth to defeat the anti-trust laws in their current form.

Meanwhile, your Bush-appointed Supreme court has just taken the ability to have any say in any form of government out of your hands, by allowing Corporations to contribute directly to political campaigns.

Last edited:
Supreme Court overturns ban on direct corporate spending on elections - latimes.com

Supreme Court overturns ban on direct corporate spending on elections

In a 5-4 decision that strikes down a 1907 law, the justices say the 1st Amendment gives corporations, just like individuals, a right to spend their own money on political ads for federal candidates.

Sigh. Good luck with your "Tea Party", Good luck with any kind of political movement.

The Republican-appointed Supreme Court just took the ball out of your hands and gave it to the corporations.

Thanks Conservatives. Good work. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

"Fascism shoudl rightly be called corporatism as it is the merger of corporate and government power"- Benito Mussolini

Meanwhile, your Bush-appointed Supreme court has just taken the ability to have any say in any form of government out of your hands, by allowing Corporations to contribute directly to political campaigns.

Well you might appreciate really bad legislation in lieu of no legislation, at least when it is YOUR side passing it, but I'll just leave you with that one and hope you are in a really small minority in your opinion about that.

As for the SCOTUS decision today, bravo! But you are misinformed on what the decision was. Corporations have ALWAYS contributed directly to political campaigns but, like individual citizens, are restricted in the amount they can directly contribute. SCOTUS did not overrule that restriction.

What they did strike down was the most heinous aspect of McCain/Feingold that was a direct frontal assault on the First Amendment. They struck down the provision that restricts corporations or groups or private citizens, including unions and leftwing groups, from speaking their opinions and spending their money any way they choose to express them.

The way McCain/Feingold was written, it allowed all kinds of loopholes, including some specifically favorable to Senator Mccain, that allowed politicians to rig the system while suppressing free speech.

SCOTUS did a very very good thing today. (P.S. President Bush only appointed two of the nine justices, just in case you would like to rephrase your statement about that.)

What you say is very true...however....right now the Democrats don't have a leg to stand on with the American people. If they try to do away with the filibuster I can guarantee you they will NOT hold power after the 2010 elections and will lose the WH in 2012 regardless of who runs against Obama.

The American people are tired of getting throatfucked by Congress.

One of the main reasons, in reality, why the legislation at hand is so unpopular, is that many people on the left are very unhappy because they feel too many compromises were made, and that the bill DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH.

Like the Howard Dean wing of the Democratic party for instance, who are generally PISSED with this bill.

That is exactly it.

There are so many cost savings associated with national health insurance done right.

Every other industrialized nation has it, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare. And they don't have medical bankruptcies and "pre existing conditions." And their businesses are more competitive worldwide because they don't have to pay for employee's healthcare.

Did ya ever Figure it out, Chris?...

Do you Understand the Distinction that I was Illustrating earlier in this Thread?...

:)

peace...

Forum List

Back