"Brownie....You're Doin' A Helluva Job"

New levels of Stupid... if a storm is coming from the south, i.e. travelling north... THEN YOU GO NORTH, TO GET AHEAD OF IT.

Where else would you go? SOUTH? :banghead:

What a collossal fucking IDIOT.

Further, except for a very limited 24-mile-long Causeway bridge which is by design severely limited (i.e. if you get partially across and traffic stops, you're sitting directly over a soon-to-rise Lake Ponchartrain), there is no route to the north -- you have to go west or east first.

Most evacuees from NOLA btw habitually go to Baton Rouge. I have no idea why that is other than it being not below sea level. Me, I went northwest -- both NORTH and WEST being AWAY from the path of the hurricane.

Holy SHIT that was a stupid post.

Yes, your post surely is stupid. Look at a map. I 59 goes north, I 55 goes north. Hwy 49 in Miss goes north. Those roads had contraflow implemented so that both sides were north-only during the evacuation.

the bottom line is that the loss of life is primarily due to the incompetence of Nagin and Blanco (who hated each other by the way).

No shit Sherlock, I know those roads in my sleep; I have no need of a "map". The poster was questioning why we would be going north when the storm was coming from the south.

I mean DUH.

The point remains, none of those roads go north until you get TO them, which requires first going east or west, which means I-10 or its antecedent, US 90. So one goes east or west for the larger purpose of GOING NORTH.

In my case I had planned to use I-55 but was prevented by the flow being diverted to Baton Rouge :puke: so I had to pick up 61 -- a road I've known intimately since babyhood.

Yeah OK. but the causeway goes almost due north. I 55 from NOLA to BR goes north around the west side of the lake, I 10 goes basically north through Slidell. But its silly to argue about compass headings.

The bottom line is that for people stranded in low lying areas because they didn't have vehicles to get out and Ray Nagin at the last moment deciding that insurance liability was a bigger problem than people dying...ANYWHERE outside of New Orleans was going to be safer than somewhere with twelve feet of flood waters!

If a white politician had done what Nagin did...he would have been taken over the coals for turning his back on what was essentially poor black neighborhoods! But since it was a black Mayor not caring about poor blacks...Nagin got a pass and it was Michael Brown that was the "bad guy"!
So you're OK then just driving 2 hours north of the city and leaving people in buses instead of in shelters where the storm could have wiped away thousands more?

Well, gee...Faun! Where would you rather be...sitting inside a school bus two hours north of New Orleans getting rained on...or sitting in your fifteen foot high house with twelve feet of flood waters outside in New Orleans?

I'm going with option A on that one but that's just me! :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Your attempts to excuse what Nagin did are about as pathetic as his handling of the emergency!

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. They used that money for other than the repair of the levee's.

If they had repaired the levee's Katrina wouldn't have blooded everything.

Oh and you have that selective reading syndrome.

Did you stop to think that's when the story was written, not when it all occurred. Of course you didn't.
They didn't need new levees. They needed a floodgate at the mouth of lake Pontchartrain.

And I don't agree with Bush that it was a natural disaster. I think the lawsuit that prevented the floodgate from being constructed was perpetrated by a foreign enemy. Espionage.

years of bad hydrology. the MRGO was a disaster waiting to happen. The levee repairs had not been done. the levee design was obsolete. Lots of blame to go around. Nagin and Blanco hated each other and since both were dems they did not want to do anything that might make Bush look good.

Politics and incompetence.

You almost got it yet just contradicted yourself -- Nagin was never a "Dem" until it came time to run for an office that hadn't elected anything else since the 19th century. He actively endorsed Blanco's opponent (as well as George Bush). THAT if anything is why they got along like oil and water.

20031107005055.jpg

/offtopic

Wow...you're STILL trying to claim that Ray Nagin was really a Republican? Give it up, Pogo...seriously...you're embarrassing yourself even more than usual!

No shit Sherlock, I know those roads in my sleep; I have no need of a "map". The poster was questioning why we would be going north when the storm was coming from the south.

I mean DUH.

The point remains, none of those roads go north until you get TO them, which requires first going east or west, which means I-10 or its antecedent, US 90. So one goes east or west for the larger purpose of GOING NORTH.

In my case I had planned to use I-55 but was prevented by the flow being diverted to Baton Rouge :puke: so I had to pick up 61 -- a road I've known intimately since babyhood.

Yeah OK. but the causeway goes almost due north. I 55 from NOLA to BR goes north around the west side of the lake, I 10 goes basically north through Slidell. But its silly to argue about compass headings.

The bottom line is that for people stranded in low lying areas because they didn't have vehicles to get out and Ray Nagin at the last moment deciding that insurance liability was a bigger problem than people dying...ANYWHERE outside of New Orleans was going to be safer than somewhere with twelve feet of flood waters!

If a white politician had done what Nagin did...he would have been taken over the coals for turning his back on what was essentially poor black neighborhoods! But since it was a black Mayor not caring about poor blacks...Nagin got a pass and it was Michael Brown that was the "bad guy"!
So you're OK then just driving 2 hours north of the city and leaving people in buses instead of in shelters where the storm could have wiped away thousands more?

people were left in buses because of the incompetence of nagin and blanco, not FEMA or Bush.

As to shelters, there were none that did not flood, thats why they all went to the superdome.

The problems were local, not federal. FEMA, the USCG, the national guard, and volunteers from all over were the heroes.

Where are we getting this "people left on buses" story? A day ago it was "the buses never ran" -- now they ran?

And what the hell does the governor have to do with where city buses go?

Blanco finally got school buses from other cities to go to New Orleans and start evacuating people after the storm was over. She, for some reason, didn't have the same worries about "insurance liability" that Ray Nagin did when he failed to use New Orlean's school buses to do the exact same thing BEFORE the storm hit!

New levels of Stupid... if a storm is coming from the south, i.e. travelling north... THEN YOU GO NORTH, TO GET AHEAD OF IT.

Where else would you go? SOUTH? :banghead:

What a collossal fucking IDIOT.

Further, except for a very limited 24-mile-long Causeway bridge which is by design severely limited (i.e. if you get partially across and traffic stops, you're sitting directly over a soon-to-rise Lake Ponchartrain), there is no route to the north -- you have to go west or east first.

Most evacuees from NOLA btw habitually go to Baton Rouge. I have no idea why that is other than it being not below sea level. Me, I went northwest -- both NORTH and WEST being AWAY from the path of the hurricane.

Holy SHIT that was a stupid post.

Yes, your post surely is stupid. Look at a map. I 59 goes north, I 55 goes north. Hwy 49 in Miss goes north. Those roads had contraflow implemented so that both sides were north-only during the evacuation.

the bottom line is that the loss of life is primarily due to the incompetence of Nagin and Blanco (who hated each other by the way).

I mean DUH.

true, but Nagin did get his due. He is in jail.

He got reelected by the people of New Orleans AFTER Katrina...and only left office because of term limits. If it wasn't for those...he would probably STILL have been Mayor when he was convicted of bribery and money laundering! That doesn't say much for the intelligence of the average New Orleans citizen... Just saying...

Did you stop to think that's when the story was written, not when it all occurred. Of course you didn't.
They didn't need new levees. They needed a floodgate at the mouth of lake Pontchartrain.

And I don't agree with Bush that it was a natural disaster. I think the lawsuit that prevented the floodgate from being constructed was perpetrated by a foreign enemy. Espionage.

years of bad hydrology. the MRGO was a disaster waiting to happen. The levee repairs had not been done. the levee design was obsolete. Lots of blame to go around. Nagin and Blanco hated each other and since both were dems they did not want to do anything that might make Bush look good.

You almost got it yet just contradicted yourself -- Nagin was never a "Dem" until it came time to run for an office that hadn't elected anything else since the 19th century. He actively endorsed Blanco's opponent (as well as George Bush). THAT if anything is why they got along like oil and water.

20031107005055.jpg

/offtopic

Wow...you're STILL trying to claim that Ray Nagin was really a Republican? Give it up, Pogo...seriously...you're embarrassing yourself even more than usual!

Yeah right, I photoshopped that pic. Sorry but I have the disadvantage of having actually lived in New Orleans when that creep first started running and I remember the flak he took for doing it that way. The other locals posting here remember the same thing. I'm sure it must look different when you're out there in Port Fart Idaho but them's the breaks.

people were left in buses because of the incompetence of nagin and blanco, not FEMA or Bush.

As to shelters, there were none that did not flood, thats why they all went to the superdome.

The problems were local, not federal. FEMA, the USCG, the national guard, and volunteers from all over were the heroes.

Where are we getting this "people left on buses" story? A day ago it was "the buses never ran" -- now they ran?

Blanco finally got school buses from other cities to go to New Orleans and start evacuating people after the storm was over. She, for some reason, didn't have the same worries about "insurance liability" that Ray Nagin did when he failed to use New Orlean's school buses to do the exact same thing BEFORE the storm hit!

Where exactly are you getting this malarkey about "insurance liability"?
No pictures please. I'm not a proctologist.

20031107005055.jpg

/offtopic

You're a fucking liar and hack, Pogo.

Nagin and Blanco went to war after Katrina, it's hardly a surprise he endorsed Jindal.

Now Nagin was and is a democrat - there is no debate of that.

{In a January 13, 2006, interview on the Tavis Smiley show, Nagin himself denied these rumors, stating that he "never was a Republican" and that he has been a "life-long Democrat," and several of the news sources reporting that he was a Republican have since issued retractions.[4] He did give contributions periodically to candidates of both parties, including Representative Billy Tauzin in 1999 and 2000, as well as Democratic Senators John Breaux and J. Bennett Johnston, Jr. earlier in the decade.}

Ray Nagin - Ballotpedia

Now Pogo, you're a pile of shit, a lying hack without a shred of integrity. You came up with this bullshit from the partisan hate site "Democratic Underground." But what you and your fellow scumbags cannot do is show ANY records of Nagin EVER being registered Republican or running for Republican office.

In short, you are flat out lying, as is your nature to do.

I mean DUH.

No one was left on buses. Where do you get your information from?? And the city did what cities do under these circumstances. ... get folks to shelters. While the city made some mistakes, FEMA taking a week to show up was unconscionable.

The excuse that Ray Nagin used for why he didn't use school buses to evacuate people was that he had concerns over insurance liability. Malarkey? Without question! It was total bullshit when Nagin said it!

No one was left on buses. Where do you get your information from?? And the city did what cities do under these circumstances. ... get folks to shelters. While the city made some mistakes, FEMA taking a week to show up was unconscionable.

I realize you are a partisan with no interest in facts, but the claim that the city reacted appropriately is beyond the pale, even for a complete hack like you.

Far left Vanity Fair reported;

{
Mayor Nagin decided to cloister himself in the Hyatt hotel, which loomed over the Superdome, a locale the mayor chose not to speak at, presumably fearing reprisals from evacuees enraged at what many perceived as his lax response to the hurricane—charges Nagin would vigorously refute, saying, “There was no way to pull [a speech] off. There was no megaphone system. There was no microphone.” Many of the Hyatt’s windows had blown out. The building swayed in the winds, a jagged, gaping monstrosity. He decided to make the hotel his Emergency Operations Center, virtually abandoning City Hall because his bodyguards had told him the Hyatt “was safer.”

In the coming days, Nagin often divided his time between an office lair on the 27th floor, the 17th floor (where he had sleeping quarters), and the 4th floor (which had electrical power). While certain mayors in the storm’s path were out and about, putting their lives at risk on Monday afternoon, raising morale and checking up on everything after Katrina’s onslaught, Nagin was comparatively sedentary, getting the latest news courtesy of a hand-cranked radio straight out of The Waltons. To many, he appeared to be a commander stuck in his bunker.}

How New Orleans Drowned

I mean DUH.

The city made "some" mistakes? :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

Once again...since you seem to have such a hard time comprehending what it is that FEMA does...they are not first responders...they are the people who come in AFTER a disaster and fix things. The reason that you are told over and over again that you need to stockpile enough food & water to last you a minimum of five days is that it typically takes that long for FEMA to get it's people and equipment into place. With a situation like New Orleans which after the flooding essentially became a large punch bowl filled with toxic waters...that typical response time was optimistic at best and that was apparent as soon as the levees were breached and the city was 80% flooded. Then you had additional issues compounding the task that FEMA faced...namely a serious lack of security in the city with widespread looting and violence. There were idiots actually shooting at helicopters trying to deliver desperately needed materials to those trapped by floodwaters. What do you think the response to that is going to be? A rush to send more people into harm's way...or an immediate cessation of rescue activities in that area? When you examine what FEMA was up against in New Orleans...they actually did yeoman work to get aid to those people as quickly as they did. But that wasn't the narrative that the national media went with. The national media ran with the narrative that FEMA had somehow dropped the ball because they DIDN'T get emergency supplies into the city faster than they did. They listened to Ray Nagin when he pointed fingers at the Feds and said that THEY were the problem.

I mean DUH.

Well, gee...Faun! Where would you rather be...sitting inside a school bus two hours north of New Orleans getting rained on...or sitting in your fifteen foot high house with twelve feet of flood waters outside in New Orleans?

I'm going with option A on that one but that's just me! :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Your attempts to excuse what Nagin did are about as pathetic as his handling of the emergency!
Driving north and leaving people on buses when a hurricane is coming is insanity. No wonder you choose that option. Had you, Darwin's theory would have taken care of your blunder.

I mean DUH.

Driving north and leaving people on buses when a hurricane is coming is insanity. No wonder you choose that option. Had you, Darwin's theory would have taken care of your blunder.

Driving due north was YOUR idea, Sparky! All I've done is point out that as stupid an idea as that was...it was STILL better than stranding people in low lying areas as a killer storm approached.

Once again...since you seem to have such a hard time comprehending what it is that FEMA does...they are not first responders...they are the people who come in AFTER a disaster and fix things. The reason that you are told over and over again that you need to stockpile enough food & water to last you a minimum of five days is that it typically takes that long for FEMA to get it's people and equipment into place. With a situation like New Orleans which after the flooding essentially became a large punch bowl filled with toxic waters...that typical response time was optimistic at best and that was apparent as soon as the levees were breached and the city was 80% flooded. Then you had additional issues compounding the task that FEMA faced...namely a serious lack of security in the city with widespread looting and violence. There were idiots actually shooting at helicopters trying to deliver desperately needed materials to those trapped by floodwaters. What do you think the response to that is going to be? A rush to send more people into harm's way...or an immediate cessation of rescue activities in that area? When you examine what FEMA was up against in New Orleans...they actually did yeoman work to get aid to those people as quickly as they did. But that wasn't the narrative that the national media went with. The national media ran with the narrative that FEMA had somehow dropped the ball because they DIDN'T get emergency supplies into the city faster than they did. They listened to Ray Nagin when he pointed fingers at the Feds and said that THEY were the problem.
Too fucking retarded. :cuckoo:

No one is blaming FEMA for not being a first responder. They took heat for not showing up after the storm passed.

No one is blaming FEMA for not being a first responder. They took heat for not showing up after the storm passed.

They DID show up after the storm passed. What they DIDN'T do was show up fast enough to mitigate the damage that was done by piss poor local leadership! What they DIDN'T do was show up fast enough to rescue tens of thousands of people who shouldn't have even still been in the city if New Orleans had a Mayor who wasn't too busy collecting bribes to do his job!

Because the plan was to stick people on buses, drive them out of the city and wait for the storm to pass before driving them back. You can't see the liability of putting people on buses in the path of a category 5 hurricane because you truly are as brain-dead as you appear. Moreso even. :cuckoo: The safest place for those folks was the Superdome.

They DID show up after the storm passed. What they DIDN'T do was show up fast enough to mitigate the damage that was done by piss poor local leadership! What they DIDN'T do was show up fast enough to rescue tens of thousands of people who shouldn't have even still been in the city if New Orleans had a Mayor who wasn't too busy collecting bribes to do his job!
They showed up a week late. They even admitted they waited because of the ensuing chaos following the storm. You probably think Brown was fired because he was a scapegoat and not due to his malfeasance.

Because the plan was to stick people on buses, drive them out of the city and wait for the storm to pass before driving them back. You can't see the liability of putting people on buses in the path of a category 5 hurricane because you truly are as brain-dead as you appear. Moreso even. :cuckoo: The safest place for those folks was the Superdome.

Actually the safest place for those people would have been the Houston Astrodome...where they could have been if Ray Nagin hadn't been such an incompetent idiot.

Driving due north was YOUR idea, Sparky! All I've done is point out that as stupid an idea as that was...it was STILL better than stranding people in low lying areas as a killer storm approached.
Driving north and leaving people on buses was not my idea, dumbfuck. It's not my fault you can't read.

That was the plan you've been saying they should have gone with.

The excuse that Ray Nagin used for why he didn't use school buses to evacuate people was that he had concerns over insurance liability. Malarkey? Without question! It was total bullshit when Nagin said it!

Link?

Forum List

Back