Brown wants to cut California science education

The state needs to decide if it going to take care of the financial needs of its citizens... or the financial needs of illegals. The fact that illegals are a drain on the budget must be dealt with.
This is true, yet I read somewhere that illegals count for 50% of the states deficit. I have no faith that the other 50% would be dealt with.

They DO account for 50% of the deficit. The point is.... our money problems would be half as bad if only that one problem was dealt with.

There would be no need for brown to cut science classes if the money spent on education for illegals was used stopped.

I have decided to be nicer to rdean, so I will save him the trouble of coming in here and blaming the Republicans for this.

Those nasty Republicans are at it again, why do they hate poor people? And Science? And minorities?

California Governor Jerry Brown’s proposed 2012-2013 budget would eliminate a second year of science as a minimum requirement to graduate from high school.

The proposed change to science graduation requirements comes as President Barack Obama is urging colleges to graduate 10,000 more engineers a year and 100,000 new teachers who majored in the science, technology engineering and math fields.

Only 21 percent of 12th graders surveyed nationwide in 2009 by the National Assessment of Educational Progress scored proficient or above on questions related to physical, life, Earth and space science.

At the elementary level, a recent study led by the Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley found 10 percent of California elementary school students regularly get hands-on science lessons and one-third of elementary school teachers feel prepared to teach science.

And the dearth of in-depth science study is more acute on campuses that serve low-income students, the study found.

Every Child Left Behind? | Culture of Science

Gov. Brown does not WANT to cut education or social services to the aged or disabled. He is simply outing the Republicans who for too long have held the state hostage by their antics. I'd explain it to you windbag, but your mind is made up and willful ignorance is a hard nut to crack. Better you continue to troll and point fingers of blame at the Gov. and others who challenge the status quo, debate real issues and means to solve real problems is not the red meat you crave.

I have decided to be nicer to rdean, so I will save him the trouble of coming in here and blaming the Republicans for this.

Those nasty Republicans are at it again, why do they hate poor people? And Science? And minorities?

California Governor Jerry Brown’s proposed 2012-2013 budget would eliminate a second year of science as a minimum requirement to graduate from high school.

The proposed change to science graduation requirements comes as President Barack Obama is urging colleges to graduate 10,000 more engineers a year and 100,000 new teachers who majored in the science, technology engineering and math fields.

Only 21 percent of 12th graders surveyed nationwide in 2009 by the National Assessment of Educational Progress scored proficient or above on questions related to physical, life, Earth and space science.

At the elementary level, a recent study led by the Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley found 10 percent of California elementary school students regularly get hands-on science lessons and one-third of elementary school teachers feel prepared to teach science.

And the dearth of in-depth science study is more acute on campuses that serve low-income students, the study found.

Gov. Brown does not WANT to cut education or social services to the aged or disabled. He is simply outing the Republicans who for too long have held the state hostage by their antics. I'd explain it to you windbag, but your mind is made up and willful ignorance is a hard nut to crack. Better you continue to troll and point fingers of blame at the Gov. and others who challenge the status quo, debate real issues and means to solve real problems is not the red meat you crave.

Ya cause there are so many elected Republicans in the State. You are hilarious.

We have a completely democratic legislature. We have a democrat as governor. Blaming republicans in California doens't work very well.

prop 13 still effecting California
Right! Because raising taxes on the evil rich (me) will fix it!

When California put a tax on us out of state home owners you know what I did? I made my renter pay it. $75 bucks a month in my case.

You have three guesses as to what I'm gonna' do if my property taxes go up in California.

When California put a tax on us out of state home owners you know what I did? I made my renter pay it. $75 bucks a month in my case.

You have three guesses as to what I'm gonna' do if my property taxes go up in California.

Good for you!!!!! Its the renters who vote this shit in.

The part that sucks is the ones of us who live in our homes and get saddled with this crap....

get some help, seriously, you're babbling....

Last edited:
since we are letting all hang out brown was counting on facebooks IPO hitting 4-5 times what googles was ( 27B) and filling in a huge hole in the budget, well, it aint. facebook appears to be priced in at approx. 5-10 billion......and yes we will run out of money in march or paril...:lol:...

More science.... cut all English as a second language. That should do it i think. :thup:

Um...they did THAT several years ago.

The state needs to decide if it going to take care of the financial needs of its citizens... or the financial needs of illegals. The fact that illegals are a drain on the budget must be dealt with.
This is true, yet I read somewhere that illegals count for 50% of the states deficit. I have no faith that the other 50% would be dealt with.

They DO account for 50% of the deficit. The point is.... our money problems would be half as bad if only that one problem was dealt with.

There would be no need for brown to cut science classes if the money spent on education for illegals was used stopped.

So, what do all those illegal kids do when not in school?

(This has been tried with Prop 186, btw)

How about you support rounding them up and sending them BACK to Mexico? What a fucking concept.

More science.... cut all English as a second language. That should do it i think. :thup:

Um...they did THAT several years ago.

Did they now? Its renamed and repackaged as immersion programs. The classes are in several languages chineese and spanish to name a few. More then 2/3 of enrollment is by guess what... kids who cant speak English.

My nephew was in one of these....and all it was, was ELS with a more politically correct name. It was discussing.

I know we let them in.... and its helping bankrupt the state.

what do we do with them... round them up and ship them home where they belong. That would be a great start.

Ya cause there are so many elected Republicans in the State. You are hilarious.

Your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance.

Prop 13 has placed the burden on the younger generation in California. Our home is worth three times more than the home of our son whose home is less than a mile from ours.

His property taxes are three times ours and he and we receive the same services, same school district, water, BART, etc.

Major property owners do not sell their land, apartment buildings, office buildings, etc. Prob 13 benefits the 1%, not the rest of us.

get some help, seriously, you're babbling....

Thanks for sharing.

Did the Republicans write the budget Brown submitted? Did they write the various voter approved propositions that force the state to spend money on various programs? Are they the ones that are insisting that the high speed rail program should go ahead despite the fact that most voters oppose it and all the studies say it will fail?

When are you going to stop blaming one side for all the problems?

Last edited:

I know we let them in.... and its helping bankrupt the state.

what do we do with them... round them up and ship them home where they belong. That would be a great start.

The immigration problem in California is the result of the failure of the Congress to act, the greed of agribusiness and the demagoguery of our elected officials.

Forum List

Back