Brown Case Shows Need for Street Cameras

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by protectionist, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Delta4Embassy

Delta4Embassy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,225
    I don't have a problem with Big Brother. And given how readily we reveal private information on websites I question the legitimacy of complaints about it. If some cams in public places help catch bad guys I'm all for it. I don't think they actually deter crime, but documenting it's something.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,376
    Well, some towns can't afford it. So I guess he's suggesting us taxpayers now pay for every state, city and town now too even though WE DON'T LIVE THERE

3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,390
    So what's the downside?

It just makes everything easier

4. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,417
    Are we talking about security cameras or forcing people to undergo surgeries? Quit getting your political views from movies.

England has those cameras everywhere and it has both prevented crimes and solved a lot of crimes. What has been the downside to that program that outweighs all the good its done?

5. protectionist

protectionist Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    Quite the contrary. They can't afford TO NOT install street cameras. They SAVE communities money, not cost them. You come in late to a thread, saying things that have already been refuted by multiple posters and multiple links. Please read the thread before posting.

6. protectionist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    There ISN'T any downside (except for the criminals) :D

7. protectionist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    Dozens of studies and experience have consistently shown the cameras reduce crime, prevent it, provide evidence, and reduce trials thereby saving large amounts of money. Only criminals and paranoia fanatics are opposed.

8. protectionist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    Paranoiac overreaction. Where do you get the idea that these concoctions of yours are going to happen ? One could concoct terrible things about many harmless activites, if you look at them negatively.

You could say if you go fishing, you could fall off the boat and drown, you could say a shark might bite your leg off, you could say a fish hook might get stuck in your ear, you could say you might slip on the wet deck and hit your head, etc etc. Yet, millions of people go out on fishing boats everyday, all over the world.

9. protectionist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    I read 1984. Your ideas are ridiculous. Who said anything about a GPS tracker under your skin, or facial recognition software ? Answer: YOU did. There seems to be a consistent pattern in this thread, of people bringing up extreme scenarios, which are not part of the OP or topic of the thread, or are extreme stretches of it, and then attacking the topic from these extreme scenarios.

There are 317 million people in the USA. Now WHY would any law enforcement agency choose YOU (out of 317 million people) to track your every movement ? I don't have the slightest trepidation of that happening to me. I'm probably about as significant to the FBI and other cops, as a ball of dust on the floor. When I hear from people who ARE concerned, I can't help wondering what they might be involved with. Something illegal maybe ? Otherwise, why worry ?

10. protectionist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    This is a foolish statement. I've trusted the federal govt to send me monthly Social Security payments since 2009. I've trusted them to send monthly VA pension payments since 2011. That totals up to over 100 payments. I haven't missed a single payment, or been shorted one penny.

"The government" is a very broad term. It includes various levels of government from US govt to city govt, and many various branches, departments, agencies, etc. within those. Some may be very trustable. Others less so. But it certainly isn't a subject for blanket evaluations.