Broken Army?

Swamp Fox

Apr 1, 2008
July 14, 2008: The U.S. Army continues to meet its recruiting goals, for the first six months of the year. In fact, so many people were trying to join the reserves, that recruiters were told to slow down its efforts, lest all the positions available be taken before the end of the year. The Army National Guard (which contains most of the army reservists) now has 108 percent of the recruits it was to bring in this fiscal year (which began last October).

The army is still suffering most of the casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. Last year over 3,000 soldiers had to be replaced because of combat deaths, or soldiers retired because of wounds, sickness or combat fatigue. Similar losses for the other services totaled less than a thousand troops. All the services have people in the combat zone, but army and marine personnel are doing most of the dangerous jobs. Casualties are way down this year, and that will be reflected in lower recruiting goals for next year. That's because combat losses, even with more fighting in Afghanistan, will be less than half what they were in 2007.

Worsening economic conditions in the United States (unemployment rates are at 5.5 percent, up from 4.6 percent a year ago) makes it easier for recruiters, and has always been the major factor in determining how easy it is to get new recruits. Over the last few years of high economic activity, the military has had to pay out billions of dollars in enlistment bonuses, to attract the people they wanted. While there's been no trouble in getting people for combat jobs, most soldiers (about 85 percent) do "support" jobs, many of them virtually identical to civilian jobs. For these troops, it's more of an economic decision, and the military has to be competitive. The cost of competitiveness does down as the unemployment rate goes up.

Attrition: American Volunteers Being Turned Away

Doesn't seem too broke to me.

I am surprised that no one has whined about recruiting the poor and unemployed means we are scraping from the bottom of the barrel.

Worsening economic conditions in the United States (unemployment rates are at 5.5 percent, up from 4.6 percent a year ago) makes it easier for recruiters, and has always been the major factor in determining how easy it is to get new recruits. Over the last few years of high economic activity, the military has had to pay out billions of dollars in enlistment bonuses, to attract the people they wanted. While there's been no trouble in getting people for combat jobs, most soldiers (about 85 percent) do "support" jobs, many of them virtually identical to civilian jobs. For these troops, it's more of an economic decision, and the military has to be competitive. The cost of competitiveness does down as the unemployment rate goes up.

Doesn't seem too broke to me.

dick-cheney.jpg
: "Mr. President, the economic numbers are in the shitter. Unemployment is up. The liberal media will get us for sure."

George_Bush-2.jpg
: "How can we spin this? You know, turn this into a positive."

_karl_rove.jpg
: "Recruiting is up!"

:razz:

It's really funny that people call the most powerful and effective fighting force on the planet, a broken military....:confused:

It's really funny that people call the most powerful and effective fighting force on the planet, a broken military....:confused:

Yeah kinda like they say we can't win in Iraq, when in fact in the actual Military battle phase of it. We freaking took apart the Iraqi military in stunning fashion. To bad Bush didn't realize there was more to it than that.

That is why I find it so funny when people say we can't do this or we can't do that. If it involves actual conventional standing armies in the field, about the only thing we can't do is be beat. I am not sure there is a conventional army in the world we could not decimate in record time. Occupation is a different story, but when it comes to trashing armies in the field we have no equal.

Worsening economic conditions in the United States (unemployment rates are at 5.5 percent, up from 4.6 percent a year ago) makes it easier for recruiters, and has always been the major factor in determining how easy it is to get new recruits.

All in all, military pays aren't bad for people starting out with few skills, or skills that nobody wants.

If it weren't for that unfortunate propensity to send troops into harms way, I'd push my son to at least consider a stint in the military.

If nothing else he'd learn to fold his clothes and keep his area policed.

All in all, military pays aren't bad for people starting out with few skills, or skills that nobody wants.

If it weren't for that unfortunate propensity to send troops into harms way, I'd push my son to at least consider a stint in the military.

Funny...My daughter and all her friends are STILL waiting to get sent into harms way.

That's the wrong attitude to have. If everyone avoided the military for the "possibility" of being sent into harms way, we wouldn't have one and would already be part of another country. It's pretty bad to generalize by saying they have few skills that no one wants. IMO, having the skill to operate highly technological vehicles (jets, submarines, tanks, etc...) while also having the skill of physically defending the nation is good enough skill for me. In fact, I wish the country would require everyone to serve in the military for a time after high school.

Not to mention how it teaches one to be responsible for ones own actions, and that hard work pays off.

Of course I am sure someone will hate me for saying that, someone always does :)

I heard Al Queda exceeded their recruiting goals.

It is easy to recruit in a recession, that's one tool Al Queda uses, poverty.

Thank you Jim Webb for the GI Bill you sponsored and McCain argued against. He said it would

I guess the military has it good points and its bad points.To bad the the bad out ways the good for the simple fact of putting people in harms way.I do agree that a person can learn a lot of great life skills in the military as well as education that will help with living everyday life . But i still would not suggest the option with my children but if they decide on the military themselves i would not go discourage them.

I guess the military has it good points and its bad points.To bad the the bad out ways the good for the simple fact of putting people in harms way.I do agree that a person can learn a lot of great life skills in the military as well as education that will help with living everyday life . But i still would not suggest the option with my children but if they decide on the military themselves i would not go discourage them.

Really? Knowing what you know now about Viet Nam or Iraq, you would be willing to sacrafice one of your own to die for those causes? Knowing Bush and most rich kids dodged the draft?

No way is my life or one of my nephews lives worth it. I know that is horrible for most Americans to hear. It is very unpatriotic, but its the truth. I agree with Ali. No Viet Namese ever called me a....

Maybe I would have gone after 9 11, but then Bush spread us thin and that put our troops in both Afgan and Iraq in jeopordy. And our troops sat in the middle of a civil war in iraq for 4 yrs without a game plan.

No, no way i'd let my kids go get blown up in iraq under bush's leadership and get blown up so exxon can make record profits and so haloburton can empty the us treasury.

maybe ww2 I would, but then you see how they use front line soldiers. They sent millions to die in normandy or at midway. small gains but huge losses of life.

What good is freedom when my kid is dead.

Republicans used to be non interventionalists. Unless it directly affected America, we stayed out of world affairs. Today, they tell us we fight for freedom but then it ends up being about power and money.

I respect any kid that signs up, but kids are dumb and think they are invincible.

Look how they treated Tillman. They covered up how he died.

Look at Abu Garabe. Rumsfeld told them to torture and then they court marshalled soldiers when it should have been the commanders that got locked up.

I could go on about how we all know our politicians are corrupt, so why would I go die for their causes?

Not after the last 6 yrs. No way. I couldn't stop my kids, but I sure would try.

You are a fuckin loser elitist puke for brains snob.

Many kids are smarter than you give them credit for. Many kids go into the military BECAUSE they know what they want out of life and unlike your pussy fuckin ass are fully aware of the consequences of their decisions.

Oh and last time I checked it was dumb fucks that sacrificed themselves so that YOUR sorry ass got created. Or do you simply REJECT all the previous wars America has had? Many puke wads just like yourself said THE EXACT same things about WWI and WWII, the Civil War, AND the Revolutionary War. EVERY damn one of those wars put you right where you are today.

THATS RIGHT! SOMEONE ELSES DUMB ASS KID DIED SO THAT YOU MAY BE ALIVE TO SPOUT YOUR FUCKIN SHIT RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!

So maybe just maybe you may want to look at your kid a little differently. And thank those before you FOR dying so that you came into existance today thus creating what stands before you.

You are a fuckin loser elitist puke for brains snob.

Many kids are smarter than you give them credit for. Many kids go into the military BECAUSE they know what they want out of life and unlike your pussy fuckin ass are fully aware of the consequences of their decisions.

Oh and last time I checked it was dumb fucks that sacrificed themselves so that YOUR sorry ass got created. Or do you simply REJECT all the previous wars America has had? Many puke wads just like yourself said THE EXACT same things about WWI and WWII, the Civil War, AND the Revolutionary War. EVERY damn one of those wars put you right where you are today.

THATS RIGHT! SOMEONE ELSES DUMB ASS KID DIED SO THAT YOU MAY BE ALIVE TO SPOUT YOUR FUCKIN SHIT RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!

So maybe just maybe you may want to look at your kid a little differently. And thank those before you FOR dying so that you came into existance today thus creating what stands before you.

wow are you brainwased. just like terrorists that blow themselves up. I would have faught in ww2 or after 9 11, but not nam or iraq 1 and 2.

bush dodged the draft so some poor kid had to take his place. you vote for an elitist.

learn your history. it was the conservatives that pussed out in the revolutionary war. until recently, conservatives were non interventionalists. now they are war mongers for power and money, not freedom. so no, I won't go die for the neo cons. nor do I think you should.

only if we must.

so I respect ppl who serve. I just don't like how the neocons put them in harms way for money. are canadians cowards? they help us in afgan but refused to help with the iraq OCCUPATION.

AND I WAS YOUNG, DUMB AND FULL OF CUM LIKE YOU ONCE.

I wanted to go fight in iraq 1 whan I was in college. Looking back, i'm gld didn't.

i'm not a coward. If threatened, I'll defend my country and myself. Why do you think recruiting was so low after we invaded iraq? americans are not cowards. Kids were seeing a bullshut war and a government that treated them like shit when they came back damaged. But haloburton and blackwater keep getting richer.

wake up stupid. this was the propoganda that allowed hitler to convince his ppl to invade poland. or grow up and educate yourself more.

look how ppl voluntered for ww2 in droves. look how the military is stop lossing and paying more to get recruiting up now. I know you think kids are pussies today compared to back then, but it just isn't so. look at after 9 11 numbers compared to post iraq.

what am I doing trying to convince a brainwashed dude who watches his president do the most unpatriotic things and doesn't question them, but instead questions the citizens who won't go along with the progam.

its not love america right or wrong. its love it, but change what is wrong, since it is not perfect. war protester are protesting for the troops idiot. where were the protesters during ww2 or after 9 11. they were so small. we protest for YOU.

Don't call us coward when we pray for you and yell at Bush to stop putting you in harms way FOR MONEY, WITHOUT A PLAN, spreading you thin, not giving you proper gear, not taking care of you when you come back, etc.

Iiraqis are blowing themselves up for their "freedom". Why are we there again?

not to mention telling you guys to torture and then letting you take the blame when caught. it should be rumsfeld in the stockaide, not that dumb female private.

do you aprove how they have handled the troops?

why can the pentagon pay you so little but they can afford to pay chaney's company halobuton so much. why do blackwater employees make 200k? would they go for what the troops make? are they less patriotic?

just like nursing homes, the seniors are nothing more than a cost to the company taking care of them. they need them because without them, they can't stay in business, but like every company, their bottom line is profit. that's why you don't to war for profit. the first step is to cut costs and then you raise prices. this always helps the company but hurts the seniors being taken care of. in some ways, this is what they did to our troops.

and if it wasn't for us liberals, walter reed would still be a shit hole and the troops still wouldn't have proper equipment

Coward! I am sooo glad that you never served as well. It was probably one of your types of people who killed Pat Tillman.

Coward! I am sooo glad that you never served as well. It was probably one of your types of people who killed Pat Tillman.

no way. it was someone like you probably. tillman probably whoped some ignorant jarheads ass for killing or raping an innocent civilian and he paid. remember that movie with michael j fox, tom barringer and wiliam defoe? I see you as playing barringers part.

not saying you would do those things, but you are definitely not a leader. you are a follower.

Forum List

Back