Broken Army?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Swamp Fox, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    July 14, 2008: The U.S. Army continues to meet its recruiting goals, for the first six months of the year. In fact, so many people were trying to join the reserves, that recruiters were told to slow down its efforts, lest all the positions available be taken before the end of the year. The Army National Guard (which contains most of the army reservists) now has 108 percent of the recruits it was to bring in this fiscal year (which began last October).

The army is still suffering most of the casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. Last year over 3,000 soldiers had to be replaced because of combat deaths, or soldiers retired because of wounds, sickness or combat fatigue. Similar losses for the other services totaled less than a thousand troops. All the services have people in the combat zone, but army and marine personnel are doing most of the dangerous jobs. Casualties are way down this year, and that will be reflected in lower recruiting goals for next year. That's because combat losses, even with more fighting in Afghanistan, will be less than half what they were in 2007.

Worsening economic conditions in the United States (unemployment rates are at 5.5 percent, up from 4.6 percent a year ago) makes it easier for recruiters, and has always been the major factor in determining how easy it is to get new recruits. Over the last few years of high economic activity, the military has had to pay out billions of dollars in enlistment bonuses, to attract the people they wanted. While there's been no trouble in getting people for combat jobs, most soldiers (about 85 percent) do "support" jobs, many of them virtually identical to civilian jobs. For these troops, it's more of an economic decision, and the military has to be competitive. The cost of competitiveness does down as the unemployment rate goes up.

Attrition: American Volunteers Being Turned Away

Doesn't seem too broke to me.

2. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I am surprised that no one has whined about recruiting the poor and unemployed means we are scraping from the bottom of the barrel.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    They have. Read through the forum. That usually comes right after posting that the Army has met its recruiting goal ....:eusa_silenced:

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    [​IMG] : "Mr. President, the economic numbers are in the shitter. Unemployment is up. The liberal media will get us for sure."

[​IMG] : "How can we spin this? You know, turn this into a positive."

[​IMG] : "Recruiting is up!"

:razz:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It's really funny that people call the most powerful and effective fighting force on the planet, a broken military....:confused:

6. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Yeah kinda like they say we can't win in Iraq, when in fact in the actual Military battle phase of it. We freaking took apart the Iraqi military in stunning fashion. To bad Bush didn't realize there was more to it than that.

That is why I find it so funny when people say we can't do this or we can't do that. If it involves actual conventional standing armies in the field, about the only thing we can't do is be beat. I am not sure there is a conventional army in the world we could not decimate in record time. Occupation is a different story, but when it comes to trashing armies in the field we have no equal.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    All in all, military pays aren't bad for people starting out with few skills, or skills that nobody wants.

If it weren't for that unfortunate propensity to send troops into harms way, I'd push my son to at least consider a stint in the military.

If nothing else he'd learn to fold his clothes and keep his area policed.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,785
    Great, there's the second benefit to a bad economy.

9. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43

Funny...My daughter and all her friends are STILL waiting to get sent into harms way.

10. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    That's the wrong attitude to have. If everyone avoided the military for the "possibility" of being sent into harms way, we wouldn't have one and would already be part of another country. It's pretty bad to generalize by saying they have few skills that no one wants. IMO, having the skill to operate highly technological vehicles (jets, submarines, tanks, etc...) while also having the skill of physically defending the nation is good enough skill for me. In fact, I wish the country would require everyone to serve in the military for a time after high school.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1