Brits need to learn English...

The old girl managed rather well later in the film.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmaCOf4LMM]My Fair Lady - The Embassy ball - YouTube[/ame]

'English' is a general term, like 'automobile'. There is British English and American English, not two languages but slight variations. American has fewer irregular verbs and is a bit more phonetic in spelling, though not a lot.
Certainly, a Manchester working accent or a Scottish accent could as well be Polish when it comes to understanding in a movie. At the same time, speaking with a Maine Downeaster might present problems for a Texan, and vice-versa.

and enunciate more clearly.

I'm watching "Edward the King" which is an old television series, it seems..I found it on Netflix. It's really very good, but for GOD'S SAKES even using the subtitle function you have to guess at about 1/3 of the dialogue. They mutter, slur into their beards, whisper...crap it's annoying. And it comes across as "inaudible INAUDIBLE inaudible" on the subtitle text.

Thank goodness they aren't that hard to figure out.

I have always found the British accent to be very difficult to understand. The thicker the accent, the harder it is to decipher what is being said. But many would say the same about Australians!

It's really odd because we Brits can usually understand the watered down, American copy of or language. :razz::D

You think you have a hard time understanding Brits.

I have seen numerous American talk shows or docos featuring an Aussie guest, and while we can understand them perfectly, the bloody Yanks put subtitles on the screen! Makes me laugh everytime!

It's really odd because we Brits can usually understand the watered down, American copy of or language. :razz::D
That's because we don't mumble as if we've recently suffered a stroke.

I've never been accused of mumbling.

Oddly enough, the kids at school say I have a very loud voice.
I tried a simple, sadly poor quality sound meter to test myself.
The result was shocking.

I may be louder than the world record holder.
LINK
I really must contact Guinness.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM45TACI4H4]perfect accent - YouTube[/ame]

Americans speak a better English than the Brits do......more understandable

Linguistically speaking from their perspective we're the ones with the accents...

Still, I cant understand half the shit they say.... Still the Aussies are the worst - I don't understand anything they say....
ive lived here for years im a Brit , and still find it hard to understand the way you pronounce OUR language especially those for the deep south .
they way you spell is awfull leaving out the u in color for example

you could never understand my language cockney slang( born in east london )
My minces are sore its time to go up the apples to my uncle ned but first i need to clean my hampsteads

I pronounce "our" correctly.... In the south it sounds like "are".... "our" should sound more like "hour" than "are." I suppose that is the best way to explain it given the resources at hand.

I would like to buy a hamburger.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1P_Nfj_ozo]The Hamburger Fun - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back