British Police Propose Fighting Domestic Violence By Distributing Less Pointy Knives

The point (no pun intended):

But at least one critic said the proposal betrayed a lack of understanding about domestic-abuse issues that was literally laughable. Jessica Eaton, a psychologist and founder of VictimFocus, a research consultancy in forensic psychology, feminism and mental health, said that when she first read of the proposal, she thought it had come from an article in The Onion, the satirical newspaper.

“The problem is not the sharpness of the knife,” she said. “The problem is male violence.”

She said in a phone interview on Thursday: “The risk comes from the offender, not the knife. We know that blunt trauma can cause death. Just because a knife has been blunted doesn’t mean that it won’t pierce the skin or kill someone.”

Charlotte Kneer, the chief executive of Reigate and Banstead Women’s Aid, a refuge and charity based in Surrey, England, agreed that the Nottinghamshire police’s approach was ill advised, further perpetuating the myth that domestic violence was a “crime of passion.”

“Domestic abuse is about control,” she said by phone. “Perpetrators know exactly what they’re doing.”

The Nottinghamshire Police in England proposed putting blunt knives in the homes of some domestic abuse survivors to save lives.CreditNottinghamshire Police
merlin_156430998_2067cd4d-4c94-4922-bffe-2acd6f8935a0-articleLarge.jpg

The Nottinghamshire Police in England proposed putting blunt knives in the homes of some domestic abuse survivors to save lives.CreditNottinghamshire Police
Ms. Kneer said she had been attacked with kitchen knives twice by a former partner. The second time, the attacker placed a plastic bag over her head. “Do you want to ban all plastic bags?” she said. “It’s just not the answer.”

Samantha Billingham of the Survivors of Domestic Abuse support group, told the BBC: “I think it’s quite ludicrous. The blade of the knife is still there.”

But Paddy Tipping, the Nottinghamshire police and crime commissioner, told local news media: “It is an excellent initiative. Some research shows that women are attacked around 19 times before they leave their home.”

One domestic abuse survivor, Fiona McCulloch, 38, of Chilwell, England, also told The Nottinghamshire Post that the plan was “100 percent positive.” She added: “To have a blunt knife in my situation, it would have taken that risk away.”
I can't even begin to imagine the dynamics of how a blunt knife would have improved Fiona's situation.

But at least one critic said the proposal betrayed a lack of understanding about domestic-abuse issues that was literally laughable. Jessica Eaton, a psychologist and founder of VictimFocus, a research consultancy in forensic psychology, feminism and mental health, said that when she first read of the proposal, she thought it had come from an article in The Onion, the satirical newspaper.

“The problem is not the sharpness of the knife,” she said. “The problem is male violence.”

She said in a phone interview on Thursday: “The risk comes from the offender, not the knife. We know that blunt trauma can cause death. Just because a knife has been blunted doesn’t mean that it won’t pierce the skin or kill someone.”

Charlotte Kneer, the chief executive of Reigate and Banstead Women’s Aid, a refuge and charity based in Surrey, England, agreed that the Nottinghamshire police’s approach was ill advised, further perpetuating the myth that domestic violence was a “crime of passion.”

“Domestic abuse is about control,” she said by phone. “Perpetrators know exactly what they’re doing.”

Ms. Kneer said she had been attacked with kitchen knives twice by a former partner. The second time, the attacker placed a plastic bag over her head. “Do you want to ban all plastic bags?” she said. “It’s just not the answer.”

Samantha Billingham of the Survivors of Domestic Abuse support group, told the BBC: “I think it’s quite ludicrous. The blade of the knife is still there.”

But Paddy Tipping, the Nottinghamshire police and crime commissioner, told local news media: “It is an excellent initiative. Some research shows that women are attacked around 19 times before they leave their home.”

One domestic abuse survivor, Fiona McCulloch, 38, of Chilwell, England, also told The Nottinghamshire Post that the plan was “100 percent positive.” She added: “To have a blunt knife in my situation, it would have taken that risk away.”
I can't even begin to imagine the dynamics of how a blunt knife would have improved Fiona's situation.
I know 5 ways to kill a human with a #2 pencil.

I will say this though, not having such sharp points on knives isn't a bad idea. It could save a few lives, and really who uses the stabbing point of a knife for constructive purposes?

I know 5 ways to kill a human with a #2 pencil.
Yup

I will say this though, not having such sharp points on knives isn't a bad idea. It could save a few lives, and really who uses the stabbing point of a knife for constructive purposes?
But what about the blade? When a person has their throat slit, the pointy end usually isn't involved. If someone is slashing at you if the blade makes contact it can still do damage.

But what about the blade? When a person has their throat slit, the pointy end usually isn't involved. If someone is slashing at you if the blade makes contact it can still do damage.

True. I'm simply stating my opinion that the pointy end of a knife doesn't really seem to serve much purpose. At least the blade has a function for cutting food and other uses, the point is just a weapon outside of a few specific cutting functions.

Given a kitchen knifes small amount of surface area... This won’t help. These Brits are fucking morons...

Why not ban knives altogether......you really don't need them, and can use a plastic knife to cut meat......tomatoes might be a little squishy after using a plastic knife, but if one life is saved, isn't a squishy tomato worth it?

Ban cars too....lots of people are killed by cars.

Which is why all knives need to be banned.....if it saves one life....right. Plastic knives can handle almost anything a regular knife can handle......

Forum List

Back