Britian's Failure to Police Its Borders

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
All sounds so familiar. A lesson America should take to heart.

The Jihad Comes to Britain
By Melanie Phillips, The Daily Mail
8 July 2005

Yesterday’s sickening atrocities were shockingly all too predictable. The former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lord Stevens warned long ago that they were ‘inevitable’. As time went on after 9/11 with no British attacks, police and security experts repeatedly warned that there was no room for complacency and that the only reason attacks had not occurred was because a number of attempts had been foiled.

And yet, despite all this the brutal truth is that in many respects this country has simply not taken the terrorist threat seriously enough. Flinching from the tough-minded measures that cried out to be taken, it failed to take action commensurate with the threat that faced us and which culminated in yesterday’s carnage. Indeed, considering how much was known and anticipated, our failure to act can only be considered the height of incompetence or recklessness, or both.

Clearly, we do not know whether the people who carried out these bomb attacks were foreign nationals or home grown terrorists. But in the light of the clear and present danger from terrorists slipping into this country from abroad, the government’s failure to secure our borders defies belief.

Because of the shambles of our immigration and asylum system and the chronic inability by successive governments to police it properly, the astonishing fact is that faced with an unprecedented threat to our security the government simply lost control of our borders. As a result, no-one could know who was coming in or going out. As the head of MI5, Eliza Manningham-Buller, observed, this made the job of countering the terrorist threat infinitely more difficult. Indeed, one might go further and say it made it impossible.

People who were not supposed to be here because they were illegal immigrants posing as asylum seekers have simply been allowed to disappear into the country in their thousands. Clearly, the vast majority of such people pose no security threat; but it is equally obvious that it is not possible to make a country safe if its borders are so permeable and administrative chaos allows people simply to vanish below the official radar.

This has been allowed to occur because, at a time of unprecedented danger, this country’s ruling elite has self-indulgently postured on human rights and the ‘diversity’ agenda with reckless disregard of the paramount need to give priority to the need to defend and preserve public safety.

full article: http://www.melaniephillips.com/articles/archives/001313.html

Adam's Apple said:
Yes, like I indicated, it all sounds so familiar, it is almost like an echo.

It'll happen again here unless something drastically changes. No way under current border enforcement could one not drive a Sherman across at will. Vials of sarin are MUCH easier to hide than a tank.

GunnyL said:
It'll happen again here unless something drastically changes. No way under current border enforcement could one not drive a Sherman across at will. Vials of sarin are MUCH easier to hide than a tank.

This has been allowed to occur because, at a time of unprecedented danger, this country’s ruling elite has self-indulgently postured on human rights and the ‘diversity’ agenda with reckless disregard of the paramount need to give priority to the need to defend and preserve public safety.

jumped right out at me too----- let's make it as hard as we can to identify our friends and our enemies.

This border thing seems to be an epidemic. Honestly, how hard can it be to control the borders of A FRICKIN' ISLAND?!

Next thing you know, some terrorist will somehow get into Switzerland, and that's tough.

I travel to Germany once a month (my wifes German) via the Dover to Calais ferry crossing.To come back into the country from France whilst still on the French side you have to go through two passport control points.One British and one French.After this you go through a British search centre and then you are free to board the ferry.
On arrival in the UK you go through another passport control then another search centre where up two eight customs officers will question you and search your vehicle.It can be quite intimidating.There is also a seperate area they send you to if you are not an EU citizen but i have never been there to know what goes on.
Is American security different to this?

taff said:
I travel to Germany once a month (my wifes German) via the Dover to Calais ferry crossing.To come back into the country from France whilst still on the French side you have to go through two passport control points.One British and one French.After this you go through a British search centre and then you are free to board the ferry.
On arrival in the UK you go through another passport control then another search centre where up two eight customs officers will question you and search your vehicle.It can be quite intimidating.There is also a seperate area they send you to if you are not an EU citizen but i have never been there to know what goes on.
Is American security different to this?

Oh man---just walk across the Mexican border. Even official crossing points will take ya less than a minute. Just flash em a drivers license.

Forum List

Back