Brit nurse suicide over phone call

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
My wife reminded me that most women who endure morning sickness in the early stages of pregnancy quietly puke in a bucket but members the Royal Family spend a couple of highly publicized days in the hospital. Most Americans have seen enough downright disrespectful music videos and Monty Python stuff aimed at the monarchy during the years to make it seem as if the Brits have gotten over their love affair with the monarchy but I guess not. It seems that a Brit nurse who was duped by an Aussie news station to believe that a phone call came from the Queen Mother and gave out confidential information regarding Prince Phillip's wife Catherine became so distraught at the revelation (and perceived disrespect to the royal family) that she killed her self.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVtJj8kzLns]Anger at Aussie Radio Station Over Royal Hoax - YouTube[/ame]

I find all the outrage quite disgusting and completely hypocritical. When the story first broke about the hoax, we heard that the hospital was looking into it. People on the outside thought it was a bit funny. I don't recall hearing any outrage by anyone. Nobody was saying that the hoax was an absolutely terrible thing to do. Everyone was pretty much just laughing at the joke, BECAUSE IT WAS FUNNY!!!!

But then this nurse offs herself, and all of a sudden, this hoax is now criminal. The hosts should be fired and possibly face a firing squad. The change in reaction is comical if not sad, and it is all because this nurse was unstable to begin with and decided that her life was no longer worth living. I truly hope these DJ's don't feel any responsibility, because they didn't cause this woman to kill herself. She was fucked in the head to begin with.

I am pretty much disgusted with the way the damned Brits are acting over this. If you listen to the tape, you would know that you'd have to be fucking retarded to have fallen for it. She did, and who the hell cares?

She didn't kill herself because she got pranked, she killed herself because she had unresolved mental health issues, and the British media would have hounded her - just like they hounded Diana.

It was a joke, it was an obvious joke, and both DJ's have to live with the knowledge that their call may have pushed this woman over the edge. They'll be haunted for life and I think that is more than enough. They are also in intensive counseling because there have been death threats made against them.

The Poms want them arrested (it may be a Federal offense to tape a conversation without permission, and also to broadcast it), Scotland Yard want to talk to them, and even the Yanks are saying they are outraged - what the fuck does America have to do with this? Nothing!!

I wish people would direct their anger at where it belongs - the British media, and the obviously appalling lack of security procedure at this hospital.

My wife reminded me that most women who endure morning sickness in the early stages of pregnancy quietly puke in a bucket but members the Royal Family spend a couple of highly publicized days in the hospital. Most Americans have seen enough downright disrespectful music videos and Monty Python stuff aimed at the monarchy during the years to make it seem as if the Brits have gotten over their love affair with the monarchy but I guess not. It seems that a Brit nurse who was duped by an Aussie news station to believe that a phone call came from the Queen Mother and gave out confidential information regarding Prince Phillip's wife Catherine became so distraught at the revelation (and perceived disrespect to the royal family) that she killed her self.

She had the same problem my mother had carrying my brother: her morning sickness was so bad she couldn't keep ANYTHING down. My mother had to be hospitalized because she was dehydrated to the point of danger.

The nurse was not a Brit...I think she was Filipino. One reason she fell for it: English was not her primary language.

Last edited:

I may have missed it, but the way I heard it, the nurse that offed herself was working the telephone switchboard, and all she did was forward the call to another nurse who then gave out the confidential info.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Granny says, "Dat's right - extradite dey's sorry butts...
:cool:
British police contact Australian police over hoax
9 Dec.`12 — British police say they have contacted Australian authorities about a possible investigation into an Australian radio station's hoax call to a U.K. hospital.
The callers impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and received confidential details about the former Kate Middleton's medical information. The call was recorded and broadcast.

The prank took an ugly twist Friday with the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, three days after she took the hoax call.

Police have not yet determined Saldanha's cause of death, but people from London to Sydney have been making the assumption that she died because of stress from the call.

The disk jockeys involved have been suspended indefinitely. Australian police Sunday confirmed they had been contacted by London police and said they would cooperate.

British police contact Australian police over hoax - Yahoo! News

It's hard to get through the Brit media B.S. so I guess we will have to wait until the story plays itself out. It's interesting that a lot of people blame the poor nurse who obviously can't defend herself. The Brits are hurting economically just like we are but they continue to support the birthright of the royal family like a damn soap opera.

I find all the outrage quite disgusting and completely hypocritical. When the story first broke about the hoax, we heard that the hospital was looking into it. People on the outside thought it was a bit funny. I don't recall hearing any outrage by anyone. Nobody was saying that the hoax was an absolutely terrible thing to do. Everyone was pretty much just laughing at the joke, BECAUSE IT WAS FUNNY!!!!

But then this nurse offs herself, and all of a sudden, this hoax is now criminal. The hosts should be fired and possibly face a firing squad. The change in reaction is comical if not sad, and it is all because this nurse was unstable to begin with and decided that her life was no longer worth living. I truly hope these DJ's don't feel any responsibility, because they didn't cause this woman to kill herself. She was fucked in the head to begin with.

No law was broken.....it was just a joke, all in good fun

Personally, I find it funny when Radio shock jocks get fired and nobody will hire them

Last edited:
It's hard to get through the Brit media B.S. so I guess we will have to wait until the story plays itself out. It's interesting that a lot of people blame the poor nurse who obviously can't defend herself. The Brits are hurting economically just like we are but they continue to support the birthright of the royal family like a damn soap opera.

Britain makes a rather sizeable profit out of the royal family, so what's the problem?

Granny says, "Dat's right - Who's the horses patoot now?
:mad:
Nurse’s death sparks anger in Britain over radio prank
Mon, Dec 10, 2012 - The London hospital that treated Prince William’s wife Catherine has condemned the Australian radio station whose hoax call apparently led to a nurse’s suicide, calling the stunt “appalling.”
Britain has reacted with horror to the death of mother-of-two Jacintha Saldanha, 46, who is believed to have taken her own life after she was duped by two Australian radio presenters seeking news on Kate’s pregnancy. Saldanha was found dead on Friday, days after answering a call to the hospital from hosts at Sydney’s 2Day FM radio posing as Queen Elizabeth II and William’s father, Prince Charles. She had put them through to a colleague who then divulged details of Kate’s recovery from severe morning sickness. The nurse’s death has triggered a global wave of anger at the Australian presenters behind the hoax, Mel Greig and Michael Christian. Flowers were placed on Saturday outside the nurses’ accommodation block where Saldanha’s body was discovered. There was no receptionist on duty at 5:30am on Tuesday when Greig and Christian called the private King Edward VII’s Hospital where Kate was being treated, and Saldanha had answered the telephone.

On Saturday, hospital chairman Lord Simon Glenarthur wrote to Max Moore-Wilton, chairman of broadcasting group Southern Cross Austereo, which owns 2Day FM, to protest “in the strongest possible terms” about the hoax. “It was extremely foolish of your presenters even to consider trying to lie their way through to one of our patients, let alone actually make the call,” he wrote. “Then to discover that, not only had this happened, but that the call had been pre-recorded and the decision to transmit approved by your station’s management, was truly appalling. The immediate consequence of these premeditated and ill-considered actions was the humiliation of two dedicated and caring nurses who were simply doing their job tending to their patients. The longer-term consequence has been reported around the world and is, frankly, tragic beyond words.”

At the family home in Bristol, England, relatives and friends gathered round to comfort Saldanha’s husband Benedict Barboza and the couple’s son and daughter, aged 14 and 16. Reports said the family had moved from India about a decade ago. In a message posted on his Facebook page, Barboza reportedly wrote: “I am devastated with the tragic loss of my beloved wife Jacintha in tragic circumstances, She will be laid to rest in Shirva, India.” Neighbor Mary Atwell, 56, said: “She was a lovely, lovely person who always spoke to you when you saw her. You could always see that she was very dedicated to her job. “Both DJs should be sacked, they should never have been allowed to do what they did,” she added. “She would be alive today if they hadn’t have made that call.” Several British newspapers reported that Greig and Christian face questioning from British police. “Officers have been in touch with Australian authorities, but we’re not prepared to discuss it any further than that,” a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

More Nurse?s death sparks anger in Britain over radio prank - Taipei Times

See also:

Australian DJs Behind Royal Prank May Face Police Probe
The two Australian DJs who pulled the prank call on the U.K. hospital where Kate Middleton was staying are now in hiding and may soon have to face police after the death of a nurse caught in the hoax.
This morning, there are also new questions about whether DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian, radio shock jocks at Sydney's 2Day FM broke laws after they recorded the private conversation when they pretended to be Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles. British police have also contacted Australian police about a possible probe into the prank call, The Associated Press reported Sunday. Rhys Holleran, CEO of Southern Cross Austereo, the parent company of Sydney's 2Day FM radio station said no laws were broken. The prank had been cleared by the Australian radio station's lawyers. Holleran said the DJs followed the company's procedures before broadcasting the call. "I think the more important question here is that we're very confident that we haven't done anything illegal. Our main concern at this point in time is what has happened is incredibly tragic and we're deeply saddened and we're incredibly affected by that," Holleran said Saturday.

The hoax has caused public outcry after the death of a nurse, Jacintha Saldanha, who connected the pair to the Duchess' room. Saldanha was found dead Friday morning after police were called to an address near the hospital to "reports of a woman found unconscious," according to a statement from Scotland Yard. Circumstances of her death are still being investigated, but are not suspicious at this stage, authorities said earlier. Lord Glenarthur, the chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital, the U.K. hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was receiving treatment, condemned the prank Saturday in a letter to the Max Moore-Wilton, chairman of Southern Cross Austereo, the Australian radio station's parent company.

Glenarthur said the prank humiliated "two dedicated and caring nurses," and the consequences were "tragic beyond words," The Associated Press reported. Max Moore-Wilton, the chairman of Southern Cross Austereo, said in a letter to Lord Glenarthur Sunday that the company is reviewing the station's broadcast policies, the AP reported. "I can assure you we are taking immediate action and reviewing the broadcast and processes involved," Moore-Wilton said in the letter. "As we have said in our own statements on the matter, the outcome was unforeseeable and very regrettable."

Saldanha came to England from India nine years ago, with her husband and two children. On Facebook, her 14-year-old daughter wrote this weekend, simply: "I miss you, I loveeee you." Saldanha worked as a nurse at King Edward VII private hospital for four years. Her family lives 100 miles away in Bristol, but while on shift she slept in a residence for nurses. With no receptionist on duty overnight she answered the prank call and put it through. The hospital called her a "first-class nurse" and "a well-respected and popular member of the staff" and extended "deepest sympathies" to family and friends, saying that "everyone is shocked" at this "tragic event."

MORE

Which would you rather be

• a LACKEY who'd rather die than fail the royals, or
  • a REPUBLICAN who'd rather the royals die than fail the people?

theomen2012.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy1Omq3LmUU]The Omen (2006) - Official® Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Granny says, "Shame - shame on `em!...
Kate Middleton Prank Call Tragedy: Australian DJs Break Silence, "Shattered" Over Nurse's Death
10 Dec.`12 - The two Australian DJs responsible for pranking a Kate Middleton nurse who was later found dead of an apparent suicide have been vilifed for their tragic hoax. But can a mea culpa even begin to mute the public's scorn of them?
The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, have now spoken publicly for the first time since duping Jacintha Saldanha into releasing private information about the Duchess of Cambridge's condition last week, saying there were "shattered, gutted, heartbroken." "There's not a minute that goes by where we don't think about her family and what they must be going through," a tearful Greig said Monday on the Australian TV show A Current Affair. "And the thought we may have played a part in that is gut-wrenching." Greig also expressed her concern for Saldanha's family, saying, "I've wanted to just reach out to them and just give them a big hug and say sorry. I hope they're OK, I really do. I hope they get through this." Christian, meanwhile, added, "I hope that they get the love, the support, the care that they need."

He did, however, appear to take a somewhat defensive stand. "We thought a hundred people before us would've tried it," he explained. "We thought it was such a silly idea and the accents were terrible, and not for a second did we expect to speak to Kate, let alone have a conversation with anyone at the hospital. We wanted to be hung up on." The repercussions of their tragic prank, however, continue to reverberate: On Saturday, the radio station behind their show, 2DayFM, announced that the duo were being yanked off the air indefinitely. "They will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy," the station said in a statement. The station has also issued a ban on all prank calls while it reportedly reviews its policies on such stunts.

This past weekend, a photo surfaced of Saldanha, and her husband, Ben Barboza, took to Facebook to share his pain over his wife's death. "I am devastated with the tragic loss of my beloved wife Jacintha in tragic circumstances, She will be laid to rest in Shirva, India." Meanwhile, the hospital where Saldanha worked has sent a scathing letter to the DJs' radio station blasting them for the "appalling" stunt. "King Edward VII's Hospital cares for sick people, and it was extremely foolish of your presenters even to consider trying to lie their way through to one of our patients, let alone actually make the call," wrote King Edward VII Hospital chairman Lord Glenarthur. "The longer term consequence has been reported around the world and is, frankly, tragic beyond words."

Source

What was the best case scenario for Christian and Grieg?

That the person they called gets fired for releasing private information?

The fact that they got fired seems little enough

Granny says, "Shame - shame on `em!...
Shame on the monkeys who keep promoting the Queen and royal family and putting pressure on poor wee nurses to perform faultlessly for their royals.

Queen1R0705_450x367.jpg

Royalists are apes who entertain the Queen and who do or die for their Queen.

Republicans are freedom fighters who kill Queens.

President Bush looks like a royalist ape here.

slide_1299_19174_large.jpg

And President Obama looks much the same. That's not a comment on his skin colour - just on the primate politics of respecting royals.

Last edited:

The most likely scenario would be either the person on the phone playing along and everyone having a laugh, or the person on the phone simply hanging up on them and them shrugging it off. That's all.

The most likely scenario would be either the person on the phone playing along and everyone having a laugh, or the person on the phone simply hanging up on them and them shrugging it off. That's all.

If that was the case they would not even bother to call. What they wanted was to find someone dumb enough to believe them. Then they could humiliate and mock the person and the result would be to get them fired for releasing private information

Shock Jocks live off of mocking other people. If they get fired when their cruelty goes overboard it is the least that can happen

Hoax station to donate to family...
:eusa_eh:
Kate hoax: Radio station to donate to nurse family
11 December 2012 - Jacintha Saldanha's family visited the hospital in London after meeting Keith Vaz MP
The Australian radio station whose DJs made a hoax call to a nurse who was later found dead is to give at least £320,000 to a fund for her family. Sydney broadcaster 2Day FM said it would donate the money from its advertising profits. Jacintha Saldanha transferred the call to a colleague who gave information about the Duchess of Cambridge, who was a patient at the London hospital. Meanwhile, David Cameron has called Mrs Saldanha's death "an absolute tragedy". Mrs Saldanha's post-mortem examination is to take place later.

She answered the Australian presenters' call in the early hours of the morning on 4 December and, believing they were members of the Royal Family, put them through to another nurse, who gave an update on the duchess's condition in detail. The duchess was being treated in the King Edward VII's Hospital for hyperemesis gravidarum, an extreme form of morning sickness. Mrs Saldanha, 46, was pronounced dead on Friday morning at staff accommodation close to the hospital. An inquest into her apparent suicide is due to be opened in the next few days.

'Loving mother'

The company which owns the station, Southern Cross Austereo, said all profits from advertising on 2Day FM for the rest of the year would be donated to an appropriate memorial fund that would directly benefit the family, with at least 500,000 Australian dollars (£320,000) being donated. Rhys Holleran, SCA's chief executive, said: "We are very sorry for what has happened. It is a terrible tragedy and our thoughts continue to be with the family. "We hope that by contributing to a memorial fund we can help to provide the Saldanha family with the support they need at this very difficult time."

It also cancelled its Christmas party, saying it would be "inappropriate" to go ahead. Lord Glenarthur, chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital, welcomed the media company's decision and said that the contribution could be made to the hospital's own memorial fund if the company wished. He added that it had received many donations from around the world. Speaking to the Commons Liaison Committee, the prime minister said what happened to Mrs Saldanha was "an absolute tragedy for the family." He said he was sure there would be lessons to learn and that having the full facts of the case would help the family come to terms with what had happened.

MORE

If that was the case they would not even bother to call. What they wanted was to find someone dumb enough to believe them. Then they could humiliate and mock the person and the result would be to get them fired for releasing private information

Shock Jocks live off of mocking other people. If they get fired when their cruelty goes overboard it is the least that can happen

Definitly gotta agree with the bold. I doubt they wanted anyone to be fired.

Forum List

Back