Bring your video camera to your town hall

Ok. I have to ask. Why would you register as a republican if you almost always vote for the Democrat? Do you feel you just have to belong to a group? Independence a little scary for you?

I so love it when Democrats agree with republicans and abandon their principles top suit their ambitions. Let's be honest here Centerist, your a democrat, you don't have to be afraid to admit it , heck I'm not afriad to admit I'm a republican.
Nope. You got it wrong. :razz: (Well, sort of.)

FTR, I was a Democrat for most of my adult life until a few years ago, when I became completely disgusted with the party for a variety of reasons. And, as I've said elsewhere on this forum, I'm currently a registered Republican, although I still nearly always vote for the Democratic candidate. Only because their positions are closer to my own.

Anyway back to your posting, for years your party has basically been the champion of the 1st Amendment and now when you see people exercising theirs, simply because you happen to disagree with them you advocate for the FBI, or camera's to turn them in.
Willfully preventing your neighbors from speaking with their representative in Congress is not a First Amendment issue, any more than yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater. I'm very sure you know this, Navy, so you can drop that particular pretense.

Will given that, perhaps I will begin to apply this standard next time I see a SEIU,EDF, UAW, CAP, ACRON, et al. protest at any event and make a call for people to bring their cameras.
Knock yourself out. Groups that don't respect the fact that free speech doesn't mean you can gather anywhere to yell should face the consequences.

The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent Holmes

It would seem that many have taken this yelling fire quote a little to far. These people don't represent a clear and present danger in any way shape or form other than what people who disagree with their position may think it does. So , what that leaves is the townhalls themselves. and my original statement and that is if the people that run these events see the crowds as being out of control then it is up to them to control those that they deem to be out of control and not to supress free speech because they don't happen to agree with it. The 1st Amendment is a very very broad right and Holmes if quite correct , in that if a person were at these meetings advocating physical harm or their actions were to cause physical harm then that is not covered under the 1st Amendment.

They must have all gotten the same lefite talking points memo, they're all stating the exact same things using the exact same phrases. Hilarious. :lol:

How many times have you been arrested @ protests?
Date and location please.

Twice. They held me in Charlotte for 3 hours in a cruiser and finally charged me with JAYWALKING. In Atlanta I was arrested for disorderly/disturbing with three others. We went to get gatorade for everyone and one of the girls had her little sign with her. That was a no, no outside of the desiganted protest area.
Well good for you causing quite a ruckus.

Yeah, crossing the street and walking to the C store is a real crime.

I encourage each of you righties to head on out to the demonstrations. It's an experience everyone should have. And if you don't get arrested, just keep up your attendance. It'll happen for you.

I think the lefties are jealous, they thought they owned the all the rights to protesting. I think it's great that the silent majority is finally waking up. :)

Its time to face facts. There are actually people out there (over half by last count) that don't agree with the whole idea of UHC and they are pretty pissed off that this government is willing to enslave generations of people to push another disastrous bill upon us. One that will take decades to undo.

By all Means everyone. Please do bring a video camera and be sure to record the ENTIRE town hall meeting.

I would like to see the whole event, too.

Everything I've seen so far amounts to people chanting so that the Representatives never gt a chance to answer the questions hurled at them.

I doubt that's the whole story, but that seems to be all that we're being shown.
I haven't seen any footage that didn't include people screaming down the person hosting the town hall. The one from last night in Tampa was the worst yet, I'm surprised the woman didn't just leave immediately.

Those that weren't screeching were filming, I'm sure there are versions all over the internet.

It would seem that many have taken this yelling fire quote a little to far. These people don't represent a clear and present danger in any way shape or form...
It doesn't matter. They can still be arrested for disturbing the peace.

The use of the human voice to disturb others by the mere volume of the sound when there is no substantial effort to communicate or when the seeming communication is used as a guise to accomplish the disruption may be prohibited consistent with First Amendment guarantees.
Source

Twice. They held me in Charlotte for 3 hours in a cruiser and finally charged me with JAYWALKING. In Atlanta I was arrested for disorderly/disturbing with three others. We went to get gatorade for everyone and one of the girls had her little sign with her. That was a no, no outside of the desiganted protest area.
Well good for you causing quite a ruckus.

Yeah, crossing the street and walking to the C store is a real crime.

I encourage each of you righties to head on out to the demonstrations. It's an experience everyone should have. And if you don't get arrested, just keep up your attendance. It'll happen for you.
Oh I got to protests and local political meetings .I just don't get arrested for some reason.

It would seem that many have taken this yelling fire quote a little to far. These people don't represent a clear and present danger in any way shape or form...
It doesn't matter. They can still be arrested for disturbing the peace.

The use of the human voice to disturb others by the mere volume of the sound when there is no substantial effort to communicate or when the seeming communication is used as a guise to accomplish the disruption may be prohibited consistent with First Amendment guarantees.
Source

We are satisfied that loud shouting and cheering constitute the loud 'noise' prohibited by section 415 only in two situations: 1) where there is a clear and present danger of imminent violence and 2) where the purported communication is used as a guise to disrupt lawful endeavors." 9 Cal. 3d 612, 621 (1973) (quoting Giboney v. Empire Storage Co., 336 U.S. 490, 502 (1949).

Again citation of the Holmes opinion of clear and present danger, and that last is subjective and is a very high burden of proof. So in this case in Calfornia if there is a clear and present danger presented by this shouting and cheering then it would not be premitted i.e. harm to persons and secondly if there was a mass conspiracy to on the part of those engaged in such behavior to do so. If you applied this Ca. statue as you wished then even football games and sporting events would be subject to it's limitations.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

It's fair play. The left isn't crying foul. The left is crying because we're laughing so hard.

Welcome to the protest rally! The last bastion of people being run over by the government. Sucks, doesn't it?

You're going to want to find a bail bondsman and keep the ACLUs number handy. Cops are ruthless with protesters. We're going to be calling you in to the cops every chance we get. Not because we think protesting is wrong, but because we think it's fair that the right also gets it's fair share of abuse. Finally. Enjoy the protest and the free ride in the police car. Remember to keep firm pressure where ever the blood is spurting from.

Don't bend over to pick up the soap.

The place I used to work was across the street from the Federal Building. I used to see protests all the time. The cops are usually pretty easy on most kinds of street theater, but folks who throw things, break things, climb onto public structures etc usually get their exasperated attention. Yelling and whatever won't get you much trouble, but felonious assault will. It is worth noting that the 0bama people were the ones arrested for assault in St. Louis.

Now even conservative newspapers are running editorials about how disgusted they are with the town hall thugs. No wonder all you can do is make a pathetic effort to point fingers at me.

Now even conservative newspapers are running editorials about how disgusted they are with the town hall thugs. No wonder all you can do is make a pathetic effort to point fingers at me.

So far the only "thugs" showing up at events seem to be Obama supporting union thugs and the MSM. At least those are the ones that were arrest worthy.

Forum List

Back