Bring 'Em Home?

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Very tough article regarding the drop in American troop morale during the last nine months.

I don't care what side of the political spectrum you are on - every American has to feel for these soldiers. Keep them in your prayers please...

___

American soldiers serving in Afghanistan are depressed and deeply disillusioned, according to the chaplains of two US battalions that have spent nine months on the front line in the war against the Taleban.

Many feel that they are risking their lives — and that colleagues have died — for a futile mission and an Afghan population that does nothing to help them, the chaplains told The Times in their makeshift chapel on this fortress-like base in a dusty, brown valley southwest of Kabul.

“The many soldiers who come to see us have a sense of futility and anger about being here. They are really in a state of depression and despair and just want to get back to their families,” said Captain Jeff Masengale, of the 10th Mountain Division’s 2-87 Infantry Battalion.

“They feel they are risking their lives for progress that’s hard to discern,” said Captain Sam Rico, of the Division’s 4-25 Field Artillery Battalion. “They are tired, strained, confused and just want to get through.” The chaplains said that they were speaking out because the men could not.

American troops in Afghanistan losing heart, say army chaplains - Times Online

And another related article to this subject - Army officers indicate dislike over the White House's treatment of General McChrystal. It appears a chasm is developing between the Obama administration and his military...

___

Army Officers Criticize Rebuke of Gen. McChrystal

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 8, 2009

Army officers gathered at a convention in Washington this week said senior White House officials should not have rebuked Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, for saying publicly that a scaled-back war effort would not succeed...

The hallways at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center buzzed with sympathy for McChrystal, who has said the U.S.-led effort in Afghanistan risks failure without a rapid infusion of additional forces. Obama and his advisers are now debating strategy in Afghanistan, with some officials arguing against additional deployments.

"It was definitely a hand slap," one Army officer said of the statement last weekend by national security adviser James L. Jones, a retired Marine general, that military officials should pass advice to President Obama through their chain of command. The Army officer, like others attending the annual meeting of the Association of the United States Army, spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the politically sensitive issue..

washingtonpost.com

McChrystal originally wanted 150,000 troops. The White House told him to revise his request, so he asked for 40,000.

No wonder the troops are depressed. The Administration is killing them off.

This President has simply been AWOL when it comes to helping our kids out over there. He's far too busy promoting himself and his image to actually take the time to care about our kids over there. Our kids know that their Commander in Chief is AWOL at this point and they are now beginning to show their disappointment & sorrow. Mr. President,either commit to winning over there or just bring our kids home right now! Our kids certainly deserve better than this!

This President has simply been AWOL when it comes to helping our kids out over there. He's far too busy promoting himself and his image to actually take the time to care about our kids over there. Our kids know that their Commander in Chief is AWOL at this point and they are now beginning to show their disappointment & sorrow. Mr. President,either commit to winning over there or just bring our kids home right now! Our kids certainly deserve better than this!

___

I have to agree. But a few months ago I was hopeful that the US would step up its game in Afghanistan as the Iraq conflict winds down.

The current administration has sent so many conflicting signals, and shown such ineptitude, I feared our soldiers would become frustrated and lose faith in the Afghanistan conflict.

You are right - either give the general what he needs to secure victory - or at least stabilty, or bring our soldiers home.

Just bring them home. No need to put any more American lives in danger.

Agreed.

It seems Obama is hesitant to bring them home for purely political reasons - and that is utterly disgusting.

He has done nothing for two months regarding the McChrystal report - except have his White House admonish McChrystal for speaking out regarding the worsening situation.

He flies to Europe for the Olympics - but has delayed a policy in Afghanistan?

What is being done to our soldiers is a terrible - terrible thing.

Our president needs to make a decision now - no more wasting of lives in a conflict that currently lacks substantive direction.

Either fight to win, or bring them home...

Very tough article regarding the drop in American troop morale during the last nine months.

I don't care what side of the political spectrum you are on - every American has to feel for these soldiers. Keep them in your prayers please...

___

American soldiers serving in Afghanistan are depressed and deeply disillusioned, according to the chaplains of two US battalions that have spent nine months on the front line in the war against the Taleban.

Many feel that they are risking their lives — and that colleagues have died — for a futile mission and an Afghan population that does nothing to help them, the chaplains told The Times in their makeshift chapel on this fortress-like base in a dusty, brown valley southwest of Kabul.

“The many soldiers who come to see us have a sense of futility and anger about being here. They are really in a state of depression and despair and just want to get back to their families,” said Captain Jeff Masengale, of the 10th Mountain Division’s 2-87 Infantry Battalion.

“They feel they are risking their lives for progress that’s hard to discern,” said Captain Sam Rico, of the Division’s 4-25 Field Artillery Battalion. “They are tired, strained, confused and just want to get through.” The chaplains said that they were speaking out because the men could not.

I tried to rep you for bringing out this information but couldn't. To me this is the most important kind of information. It pisses me off that many of the civilians in this country don't appreciate the hardships these guys and gals endure. It's obviously allot more than the statistics of death and injuries. It's also the hardships of these brave soldiers and their family and friends.

Not long ago I visited my son at his base in Hawaii and was amazed at the intensity most of these guys and gals have in serving their country. Many I met had served 3 &4 tours in Iraq or Afghanistan and yet they were raring to go serve more, honestly it's beyond my comprehension. Also interesting was a love and hate feel they have for the Army and the civilians their serving.

Just an example of ultra leftist think and their treatment of soldiers.( I'm shaking right now it just pisses me off, so much)

I'm standing in line at a grocery store and I hear a commotion starting at the check stand in front of me. Such statements as, "Hey baby killer, how can you go over there and kill babies", " why did you join the Army, you like killing people" . Regardless to say, I'd already grabbed my can of peas for protection and was jumping in these middle aged liberals faces. Well, after a rather short barrage of simple words those gutless wonders bid a hasty retreat leaving there goods behind. It got even better though, I got to spend a few hours with this freshly minted Private over lunch.

My son had gone through similar treatment at the hands of such ...holes, we live north of the San Francisco area. Soldiers are duty bound to just have to take it unless physically threatened, which makes these displays far more gutless. Sorry I rambled on, this disrespect for soldiers just frosts my ass.

In Afghanistan my opinion is, fight to win or get the Hell out!

The problem is that YOU people threw American troops into a fucking firepit without any clear objective besides "win the war on terrorism". Which, as you've been told, means jack and shit. You people hide behind mantras and gop talking points when Bush is in office and then act like martyrs when Obama can't magically snap his fingers and win the "war on trrrrorrrrrrsm". So, in fact, I'd say YES bring them back home. Bring those in Iraq back home as well. Until you sorry bastards can defend your own war-hawkishness spare me your hilarious bullshit trying to pin the failures of the mid east fronts on Obama.

go find Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz now, motherfuckers.

Unless we have a defined exit strategy with achievable goals and a set time to accomplish them, I would just as soon pull our troops out of both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Peacekeeping is not a winning strategy

using the sacrfices of these soldiers to try to beat a political opponent over the head is disgusting. An indefensible low.

Hope you're proud of yourself.

The problem is that YOU people threw American troops into a fucking firepit without any clear objective besides "win the war on terrorism". Which, as you've been told, means jack and shit. You people hide behind mantras and gop talking points when Bush is in office and then act like martyrs when Obama can't magically snap his fingers and win the "war on trrrrorrrrrrsm". So, in fact, I'd say YES bring them back home. Bring those in Iraq back home as well. Until you sorry bastards can defend your own war-hawkishness spare me your hilarious bullshit trying to pin the failures of the mid east fronts on Obama.

go find Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz now, motherfuckers.

Making such sweeping and generalized pronouncements isn't typically a wise decision. Not everyone in this thread supported Bush or the War on Terrorism. I agree that we need to get out of Iraq, as well as every other country we currently occupy.

The article is accurate... The men in Afghanistan are between the a rock and a hard place.

They face a determined insurgency; which has them pinned against an administration which threatens them with prison if they violate the Rules of Engagement which prevent them from firing upon the enemy that is firing upon them, until they receive permission to fire from their Chain of Command; what's more is that US air superiority is now nearly worthless; as it is now next to impossible to get air support... due to the enemy having successfully used the western media to report that US Air power is killig 'innocent' people.

The US should pull our forces from Afghanistan, until such time that either free elections remove the Leftist insurgency presently occupying American governance or failing that, other means effectively provide for same.

The fact is that US troops are being asked to do the impossible... they're trapped between a determined enemy and a duplicitous evil.

___

I tried to rep you for bringing out this information but couldn't. To me this is the most important kind of information. It pisses me off that many of the civilians in this country don't appreciate the hardships these guys and gals endure. It's obviously allot more than the statistics of death and injuries. It's also the hardships of these brave soldiers and their family and friends.

Not long ago I visited my son at his base in Hawaii and was amazed at the intensity most of these guys and gals have in serving their country. Many I met had served 3 &4 tours in Iraq or Afghanistan and yet they were raring to go serve more, honestly it's beyond my comprehension. Also interesting was a love and hate feel they have for the Army and the civilians their serving.

Just an example of ultra leftist think and their treatment of soldiers.( I'm shaking right now it just pisses me off, so much)

I'm standing in line at a grocery store and I hear a commotion starting at the check stand in front of me. Such statements as, "Hey baby killer, how can you go over there and kill babies", " why did you join the Army, you like killing people" . Regardless to say, I'd already grabbed my can of peas for protection and was jumping in these middle aged liberals faces. Well, after a rather short barrage of simple words those gutless wonders bid a hasty retreat leaving there goods behind. It got even better though, I got to spend a few hours with this freshly minted Private over lunch.

My son had gone through similar treatment at the hands of such ...holes, we live north of the San Francisco area. Soldiers are duty bound to just have to take it unless physically threatened, which makes these displays far more gutless. Sorry I rambled on, this disrespect for soldiers just frosts my ass.

In Afghanistan my opinion is, fight to win or get the Hell out!

___

As I said, no real American can dispute the great sacrifices our troops and soldiers have made during these long conflicts. Those in this country who refuse to honor our soldiers, are something else besides American - not sure what, but they are out there, and I feel sorry for them living such lives devoid of understanding and compassion for those who serve to protect their right to be morons.

I know well the sting of loss from sacrifice from these wars.

The situation in Iraq had a moment where I spoke out against the chaos and an administration that was not listening to the suggestions of its generals. That adminstration then took action to remedy the situation, and our troops transformed a lost compaign into one of victory.

This can be done in Afghanistan as well - but it will take a president willing to lead - a president not looking at polls, or special interest groups, or an Olympics campaign, but one willing to either step up and allow our troops the resources to win, or one willing to step up and lead our soldiers back home.

It must be one or the other - and it must happen NOW.

The article is accurate... The men in Afghanistan are between the a rock and a hard place.

They face a determined insurgency; which has them pinned against an administration which threatens them with prison if they violate the Rules of Engagement which prevent them from firing upon the enemy that is firing upon them, until they receive permission to fire from their Chain of Command; what's more is that US air superiority is now nearly worthless; as it is now next to impossible to get air support... due to the enemy having successfully used the western media to report that US Air power is killig 'innocent' people.

The US should pull our forces from Afghanistan, until such time that either free elections remove the Leftist insurgency presently occupying American governance or failing that, other means effectively provide for same.

The fact is that US troops are being asked to do the impossible... they're trapped between a determined enemy and a duplicitous evil.

To say nothing of the ongoing attacks by this administration against our CIA operatives as well.

The message to those serving on the front lines is one of "don't mess up or we (your own country) is going to get you".

Is it any wonder then that morale is plummetting?

I have to believe that Obama has some semblance of compassion for these soldiers - he may have zero experience in such matters, but I don't believe him to be so incompetent and uncaring as to not realize something must be done quickly one way or the other regarding Afghanistan.

I hope...

they are also afraid or terrified and frozen because of the war protesters in DC now. clearly this form of gov is now starting its death throws.

the generals and admirals should ALL resign.

To say nothing of the ongoing attacks by this administration against our CIA operatives as well.

The message to those serving on the front lines is one of "don't mess up or we (your own country) is going to get you".

Is it any wonder then that morale is plummetting?

I have to believe that Obama has some semblance of compassion for these soldiers - he may have zero experience in such matters, but I don't believe him to be so incompetent and uncaring as to not realize something must be done quickly one way or the other regarding Afghanistan.

I hope...

Forum List

Back