Bring back the draft

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
A nation of 350 million shouldn't be strapped for manpower.

Like rotating soldiers in tours of duty like we do today

Born 1953. I didnt dodge the draft like Clinton and his ilk.

If the draft were still active this nation would not be in the sad shape it's in today because Bush could not have managed to lie us into invading Iraq.

Suspending the draft was a bad mistake.

OH,

MY

GOD!

To Fight and KILL,

for WHAT???

To have to hate folks?

For what?

Ask yourself:

For What?

THEN, come and post to me,

mkay?

Yes, it's very important that we have plenty of fodder to assure our preminence in the 21st century as we wage wars to control central asia.

If the draft were still active this nation would not be in the sad shape it's in today because Bush could not have managed to lie us into invading Iraq.

3 congressional investigations found ALL 3 times that Bush did not lie to the Nation. One of which was run by Democrats. Wanna try again dumb fuck?

By the way, we are not having a manpower crunch. The military is at the levels approved by Congress. You want more men and women in Uniform, take it up with Congress.

You know i have noticed but of the people wanting the draft back are old farts who are too old to be drafted so it's very easy for them to support such a move.

I'm in my 20's in college trying to finish up when i leave I like to start my career. I don't want to be sent off to kill. I think the idea of war is horrible. Innocent people wind up getting killed at high numbers.

I cannot imagine if the draft was still in place during these past 7 years in Iraq. People would have been sent off to fight and be killed for imaginary WMDs.

And soldiers on the battlefield have even said they do not want people on the battlefield who don't want to be there in the first place.

What it really boils down to is in the trenches when the shit has hit the fan. Who would you like to be at your side when the bullets are flying: someone who volunteered to be there or someone who was compelled by law to be there?

What it really boils down to is in the trenches when the shit has hit the fan. Who would you like to be at your side when the bullets are flying: someone who volunteered to be there or someone who was compelled by law to be there?

Why don't you ask some WWII vets that question?

I'm still trying to figure this one out 8 years after the point was raised the first time. How does having a war with an all volunteer military allow a war but forcing people to go to war prevent one? Wouldn't that be reversed? If people were so against the war wouldn't they refrain from signing up to go?

I believe the draft should be reinstated. It wouldn't hurt anybody and it would do most young people some good.

Because involuntary servitude is always such a wonderful idea.

As has been pointed out, manpower is at approved levels, but think of it this way:

If they throw a war at us and nobody joins up, maybe the war hasn't been judged necessary by the people.

Last edited:

I'm all for it, with this caveat: Two years of national service. No exemptons except for mental or physical health issues and service must be completed between the 16th birthday and the 32nd birthday.
Only those who serve at least two years active duty and remain ready reserve for an additonal four earn a GI bill.

I'm still trying to figure this one out 8 years after the point was raised the first time. How does having a war with an all volunteer military allow a war but forcing people to go to war prevent one? Wouldn't that be reversed? If people were so against the war wouldn't they refrain from signing up to go?

Public opposition.

People are more or less OK with unneccesary wars as long as they or theirs don't have to do the fighting and dying.

I was in Navy boot camp in 1967. No one was drafted into the Navy, it was all volunteer (granted, by not volunteering we might have been drated in the Army, and for a while into the Marine Corp).
During basic we were indoctrinated by non-coms on the justification for the conflict in SE Asia. The program lasted about 15 minutes, the instructors where met with boos when they attempted to re-write history, and dozens and dozens of hands went up. The few called on asked questions demonstrating their lack of support for our involvement and the Domino Theory, and the threat Vietnam represented to the United States - all questions were met with huge applause.

Public opposition.

People are more or less OK with unneccesary wars as long as they or theirs don't have to do the fighting and dying.

So the whole point of people advocating for a draft is to stop people that disagree with them from volunteering to fight? Interesting.

I was in Navy boot camp in 1967. No one was drafted into the Navy, it was all volunteer (granted, by not volunteering we might have been drated in the Army, and for a while into the Marine Corp).
During basic we were indoctrinated by non-coms on the justification for the conflict in SE Asia. The program lasted about 15 minutes, the instructors where met with boos when they attempted to re-write history, and dozens and dozens of hands went up. The few called on asked questions demonstrating their lack of support for our involvement and the Domino Theory, and the threat Vietnam represented to the United States - all questions were met with huge applause.

Did the draft end that war?

Forum List

Back