Bring back actual food STAMPS - no more plastic

Under the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal 2001, beginning in May 2001, qualifying servicemembers can receive up to $500 a month with the new family subsistence supplemental allowance (FSSA).

The program was designed to help families currently on food stamps. Although this allowance does target those families, all total force members may apply.

Military Food Stamp Program

2001? So Bush is the military food stamp president?

Nope. I had subordinates on food stamps (and WIC) in the military in the 80s and 90s.

I was in during the 80's I never knew anyone on them.

Under the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal 2001, beginning in May 2001, qualifying servicemembers can receive up to $500 a month with the new family subsistence supplemental allowance (FSSA).

The program was designed to help families currently on food stamps. Although this allowance does target those families, all total force members may apply.

Military personal are paid good now compared to when I was in I know plenty of people in the military and they make killer money.
oh and here you go.
2012 Military Pay Scale Chart - For US Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines

Yeah. That is a far better pay scale than when I was in. Far better.

I cannot see anyone in the military now having need for food stamps.

Nope. I had subordinates on food stamps (and WIC) in the military in the 80s and 90s.

I had guys up to E-4 with kids getting food stamps. Some of these guys joined the military in their 30s with ready-made families. They were unable to get good enough employment elsewhere to support their wives and kids.

I also had a single mother on them, and getting WIC.

Last edited:

Head in sand.

There is always a way to abuse the systems or scams.. Both ways you can do it. People sell their wic checks for half of what its worth.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-90PPxojs]Silver, Food Stamp Racket & JP Morgan Chase - YouTube[/ame]

Now that obozo has removed the work requirements for welfare, millions more are joining the dole rolls. Maybe if they had to go thru the shame of producing actual food stamps at walmart, they'd decide to get a job. And lets make food stamps useable for food only .

"Now that this fictional event has occurred, I think the biggest problem facing society is how easy being poor is."

Now that obozo has removed the work requirements for welfare, millions more are joining the dole rolls. Maybe if they had to go thru the shame of producing actual food stamps at walmart, they'd decide to get a job. And lets make food stamps useable for food only .

You do realize going back to paper with so many on food stamps it would cost even more to feed dependents of the government.

Me and bigreb agree on something? This may be the end of days. ;)

You do realize going back to paper with so many on food stamps it would cost even more to feed dependents of the government.

Me and bigreb agree on something? This may be the end of days. ;)

I am all for saving the country, just not so much on the current government.

So you're saying there's a national conspiracy by cashiers to let people buy non-food items with their snap benefits?

"Nonsense. You can't buy anything that's not food with your snap benefits, the register can tell and only deducts food."---AmyNation

Are you an idiot? Don't put words in my mouth. You pulled a statement from your ass that it was automatically separated at the register and I just showed you that you're wrong, spinmeister. Apology accepted!

No, you are wrong. You cannot buy non food products with your snap benefits.

Caviar, lobster, filet mignon, veal...and as much junk food you can stuff in your face.... are all well within snap benefits too.

Personally i think toothpaste, soap and laundry products should be allowed....and luxury food products and junk food should be off the list.

"Nonsense. You can't buy anything that's not food with your snap benefits, the register can tell and only deducts food."---AmyNation

Are you an idiot? Don't put words in my mouth. You pulled a statement from your ass that it was automatically separated at the register and I just showed you that you're wrong, spinmeister. Apology accepted!

"...But at the point of sale (POS) it isn't always enforced."---Me

"...the register can tell and only deducts food." ---You

Show me where I even used the words non food products or talked about it.

As Reagan once said, "there you go again". We were talking about food stamps in general and if the register knows what is eligible or not.

Don't pull that shit with me and try to change the discussion.

I made my point. You're wrong!
It is enforced at point of sale. It is illegal to purchase non-food products with your snap benefits. Not only for the costumer, but the store and the clerk. Are there abuses? Of course. But there is abuse in all large programs or companies.

And now I am done arguing over this nonsense with you.

Caviar, lobster, filet mignon, veal...and as much junk food you can stuff in your face.... are all well within snap benefits too.

Personally i think toothpaste, soap and laundry products should be allowed....and luxury food products and junk food should be off the list.

There are other programs that give people money for those items. Junk food will never be banned from snap benifits because food companies have big lobbyists. Any time an issue of reduction in snap benefits or limitations arise, food companies swoop in and lobby congress.

How much caviar, lobster, filet mignon, and veal do you think you can buy with a monthly allotment of food stamps, and how can I find the nearest poor family so I can chow down with them? Is there an app for that on my Obamaphone?

Last edited:

I could agree with that, who would decide what a luxury food item is? to some people salmon is considered that or even hamburgers.

Salmon is in the double digits per pound, so that is a luxury.

Perhaps an announcement should be made over the PA system in the grocery store.

"Attention shoppers. Kate Smith of 321 Main Street is using food stamps on register 3. She is buying generic corn flakes, ground beef, peanut butter, and whole milk and is a fucking leeching sore on society."

Last edited:

"Attention shoppers. Kate Smith of 321 Main Street is using food stamps on register 3. She is buying generic corn flakes, ground beef, peanut butter, and whole milk and is a fucking leeching sore on society."

and paying cash for her beer
I like it.

How much caviar, lobster, filet mignon, and veal do you think you can buy with a monthly allotment of food stamps, and how can I find the nearest poor family so I can chow down with them? Is there an app for that on my Obamaphone?

They can spend the whole month worth of food stamps on one food product if they want. That is my point...there are not controls....or very very minimal controls at best.

I could agree with that, who would decide what a luxury food item is? to some people salmon is considered that or even hamburgers.

i bet if a cap was put on meat/poultry/fish items per pound.... a good deal of food products would drop in price to come in line with the guidelines.

yeah, but what sucks is after they buy all of that with the food stamps.. The cashier has to ring them up again so they can pay cash for the cigarettes, booze and magazines....

Forum List

Back