Brewer: Obama needs to see border

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
PHOENIX - President Obama needs to see the Arizona border for himself to fully understand the scope of the problem, Gov. Jan Brewer said Friday.

The governor said she is pleased Obama promised during their Thursday meeting to send some top advisers to brief her on exactly what more he plans to do to secure the border. That includes how many of the 1,200 National Guard soldiers he promised for the Southwest will be stationed in Arizona.

But Brewer, speaking to reporters during an appearance at a Phoenix high school, said there is no way the president can really appreciate the situation, even by reading news accounts, watching videos and getting briefed by aides, until he sees it himself.

And that, she said, means being on the ground in Southern Arizona.

"I think the visual of seeing the masses coming across the border certainly, almost like in herds, all day long and at night is unbelievable," she said. "I mean, it's like something you just can't imagine."

On one hand, the governor said she believes the president will be impressed by the number of people picked up by the Border Patrol.

"There just (aren't) enough of them," Brewer said of the number of agents on the border.

The governor added that Obama needs to see the rest of the picture, "the damage that they're doing to the property down there, private property, the garbage that's strewn every which way."

And she said the president needs to look beyond the fence "at the camps that they have south of the border, little blue tents where people are just camped out, waiting for their turn to come."

"It's like a Motel 6," Brewer explained. "People come, stay, go, (they) fill up with new people."

Brewer said she extended a personal invitation to the president during their White House meeting. "He said that he would like to do that," she said.

"That certainly wasn't a commitment," the governor continued.

"But if I have the opportunity to again engage in conversation with him in regard to this issue I certainly will invite him again."

The White House had no immediate response to the comments Brewer made on Friday about her belief the president needs to see the border for himself to understand the problem.

But staffers did note the president has committed to not only putting National Guard soldiers in the Southwest but also to asking Congress for an extra $500 million for border security.

Brewer: Obama needs to see border

Sure he will - just as he has visited all the disasters of late throughout this nation - don't hold your breath Governor - AZ, as everything else, is NOT his priority! He much rather entertain the Beatle and more things that have to do with the entertainment industry. He is a frustrated Hollywoodite.

Brewer is smart.

Bush was criticized for taking so long to go to Louisiana and seeing the aftermath of Katrina from the ground perspective. Same criticism is being directed against Obama for the oil spill in the Gulf.

Illegal immigration is a far more serious issue and, at the same time, a far more contentious one. If Obama accepts the conditions of Brewer's invitation, he risks alienating a significant part of his voter base that put him in office. If he doesn't accept it, then he risks being indifferent or ineffective on one of the most serious issues facing the nation during a troubled economy.

BO cannot go to AZ, for fear this may happen

ObamaCitizen.jpg

:eusa_whistle:

Brewer is smart.

Bush was criticized for taking so long to go to Louisiana and seeing the aftermath of Katrina from the ground perspective. Same criticism is being directed against Obama for the oil spill in the Gulf.

Illegal immigration is a far more serious issue and, at the same time, a far more contentious one. If Obama accepts the conditions of Brewer's invitation, he risks alienating a significant part of his voter base that put him in office. If he doesn't accept it, then he risks being indifferent or ineffective on one of the most serious issues facing the nation during a troubled economy.

Why these politicians worry so much about the hispanic vote is beyond me - they helped put him in office but not for the reason he thinks. They put him in office because many thought he was the lesser of the two evils and were as ready as anybody else to be rid of the repubs. The vast majority of hispanics who vote are NOT for giving these illegals amnesty nor any type of reform until that time that the border is secure! Hispanics are waking up to the fact that Obama is not what this country needed. I will bet my bottom dollar that they vote against him come 2012.....and not for anything that has to do with illegals. Most hispanics who vote are for AMERICA first and foremost and Obama is not doing a good job as a leader.

Brewer is smart.

Why these politicians worry so much about the hispanic vote is beyond me - they helped put him in office but not for the reason he thinks. They put him in office because many thought he was the lesser of the two evils and were as ready as anybody else to be rid of the repubs. The vast majority of hispanics who vote are NOT for giving these illegals amnesty nor any type of reform until that time that the border is secure! Hispanics are waking up to the fact that Obama is not what this country needed. I will bet my bottom dollar that they vote against him come 2012.....and not for anything that has to do with illegals. Most hispanics who vote are for AMERICA first and foremost and Obama is not doing a good job as a leader.

Agreed.

I don't think Obama or his handlers understand that point. I think he wants to avoid the issue because he's miscalculated how hispanics really feel about illegal immigration.

And I agree that he's going to lose the hispanic vote anyway.

Forum List

Back