Bremer doing a nice two step backslide.

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Bremer Takes Back Statements About Bush

BAGHDAD, Iraq - L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Iraq, said Sunday he regrets a statement he made more than six months before the Sept. 11 attacks that the Bush administration was "paying no attention" to terrorism.

Bremer said any implied criticism that President Bush was not acting against terrorism was "unfair."

Ahead of the November election, Bush is facing criticism he didn't make terrorism his No. 1 priority before the attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center and then weakened the war on terror by invading Iraq and shifting the focus from Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network. The resurfacing of Bremer's comments added to administration frustrations.

At a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference on terrorism on Feb. 26, 2001, Bremer said, "The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along until there's a major incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh, my God, shouldn't we be organized to deal with this?'

"That's too bad. They've been given a window of opportunity with very little terrorism now, and they're not taking advantage of it."

Bremer made the speech after he had chaired the National Commission on Terrorism, a bipartisan body formed by the Clinton administration to examine U.S. counterterrorism policies.

In a statement Sunday, Bremer said his remarks three years ago "reflected my frustration" that none of his commission's recommendations had been implemented by Clinton or the new Bush administration.

"Criticism of the new administration, however, was unfair. President Bush had just been sworn into office and could not reasonably be held responsible for the Federal Government's inaction over the preceding 7 months," Bremer's Sunday statement said.

"I regret any suggestion to the contrary. In fact, I have since learned that President Bush had shared some of these frustrations, and had initiated a more direct and comprehensive approach to confronting terrorism consistent with the threats outlined in the National Commission report.

"I am strongly supportive and grateful for the President's leadership and strategy in combating terrorism and protecting American national security throughout his first term in office."

news link yahoo

Tell you what DK, this whole thing is getting pretty discouraging. I'm going to vote for GW because I despise kerry. (I almost added "and everything he stands for" but then it dawned on me that he doesn't really stand for much of anything)

I wish I could vote FOR George Bush instead of AGAINST kerry. GW is not a bad president, he just doesn't have the leadership of an Eisenhauer or a Reagan - or, for that matter, even a Clinton. I was FOR Bob Dole, but he never managed to get any traction against Bubba & the Wicked Witch.

Well, maybe next election.

I would point out to you that Bremers statements were made a month after Bush was sworn into office Kinda hard to see what Bush has been doing to fight terror the first month of the administration

id write more but for some reason my puctuation isnt working the best today

Forum List

Back