Breast Feeding in public? Offensive or not?

Public breastfeeding?

• I'm not bothered by public breastfeeding at all

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I'm only bothered if the mother doesn't at least make an attempt to cover up

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Public breastfeeding disgusts me-covered or not.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Pale Rider said:
My point is, feed the kid in the car "before" you take it into public, where you still have a fair amount of privacy. Not sit down and whip out the tit five minutes after you enter a store.

If it's OK to peel out your tits in public to feed a baby, then it should be OK to bare 'em WHENEVER.

You know with my first I would drop what I was doing and walk to the car, he was born in the spring so it wasn't much of a problem to sit outside. STILL got some nasty looks occasionally.

With my other children though I felt more secure about feeding and since my next two were born during the winter I wasn't willing to sit in a freezing cold car and run the gas out. Luckily where I live they have family bathrooms with a sitting area at the mall and that's where I would go in a pinch.

I will say that MOST women won't just " pop a tit out". 90% of the women I see nursing do it with discretion (a blanket over the shoulder). There are a very few who will bare it all and I think they give the rest of us a bad name. Breast feeding is a very natural thing to do and women shouldn't have to stay at home for a year just so they won't offend anyone.

My wife currently breastfeeds, and she does it in public - usually at church or in a restaurant. And yes, she makes every effort to cover up. Frankly, that's what her boobs are there for, so I don't understand why people get upset about it, as long as they cover up.

dmp... Even 18 months is pushing it, IMO. 7 or 8? Forget it...that parent has serious mental issues.

But scarily it does happen, and what's worse is people that have their kids sleep in the same bed with them until they are 8 or 9 years old.. Im not talking about the occasional nightmare, or lightening storm scare campout, I mean every night!!

gop_jeff said:
My wife currently breastfeeds, and she does it in public - usually at church or in a restaurant. And yes, she makes every effort to cover up. Frankly, that's what her boobs are there for, so I don't understand why people get upset about it, as long as they cover up.

I agree, a little modesty goes a long way :)

Bonnie said:
But scarily it does happen, and what's worse is people that have their kids sleep in the same bed with them until they are 8 or 9 years old.. Im not talking about the occasional nightmare, or lightening storm scare campout, I mean every night!!

I am RIGHT there with ya on this one. We have good friends who too often allow their daughter, or allowed their daughter to sleep in bed with them. My daughter now asks about 4 times a week. I have to tell her "Look - Our bed is for Mommy. I'm lucky enough to get about 10" of it to sleep on, there's NO way I'm sharing that bit or real-estate."

:D

Seriously - people need to cut-the-cord, so to speak.

dmp said:
I am RIGHT there with ya on this one. We have good friends who too often allow their daughter, or allowed their daughter to sleep in bed with them. My daughter now asks about 4 times a week. I have to tell her "Look - Our bed is for Mommy. I'm lucky enough to get about 10" of it to sleep on, there's NO way I'm sharing that bit or real-estate."

Seriously - people need to cut-the-cord, so to speak.

I hear ya on the 10" part.
I tried to rationalize that bed space should be proportional to body size. She just pushed me off instead.

dmp said:
Right. AND it should be okay-ENOUGH where guys aren't going to gawk, get a boner, or try to cop a feel.

I guess I just think it's a natural but private thing between baby and mom. When I have had it done in front of me I tend to feel like Im intruding on something personal which is why for me I would find a bathroom or a car and use a blanket out of courtesy to anyone else. I don't think other women would necessarily feel comfortable if I were to do it right in front of their husbands either without any measure of discretion.

Bonnie said:
I guess I just think it's a natural but private thing between baby and mom. When I have had it done in front of me I tend to feel like Im intruding on something personal which is why for me I would find a bathroom or a car and use a blanket out of courtesy to anyone else. I don't think other women would necessarily feel comfortable if I were to do it right in front of their husbands either without any measure of discretion.

man this thread is giving me flash backs.....i was at a wedding at a very nice country club....i was sitting speaking to an olde high school classmate that everyone thought was hoooooooooooooooooooot.....when her husband walks up and hands her their baby....everyone at the table ooos and aaaaahs... then she whips out her stretch marked melon and drops it in the kids mouth........fantasy D-E-S-T-R-O-Y-E-D

manu1959 said:
man this thread is giving me flash backs.....i was at a wedding at a very nice country club....i was sitting speaking to an olde high school classmate that everyone thought was hoooooooooooooooooooot.....when her husband walks up and hands her their baby....everyone at the table ooos and aaaaahs... then she whips out her stretch marked melon and drops it in the kids mouth........fantasy D-E-S-T-R-O-Y-E-D

You are a P-I-P!! LOL

Bonnie said:
I agree, a little modesty goes a long way :)
I agree with the blanket thing, but have you noticed how most restaurant rest rooms are maintained? Not my problem anymore, but there is no way that I was feeding my baby on a toilet or something like that.

Never once did I find it necessary to 'flash' anything, anywhere. Right bra, right top, right blanket. Actually in the summer, had the right tops that in some cases, a blanket wasn't necessary, the snuggli would do fine.

I find it HIGHLY contradictory for a Society that tries its hardest to remove women's clothing on TV, Ads and Movies - but Heaven forbid she breast-feeds - Nope, can't see em' then, that'd be somehow wrong!

Why do we live with such hypocrisy where Doctors - and most any sensable person - all promote that "breast is best" for the Baby yet, as a society, make it darn near impossible for a woman to perform breast feeding without somehow making them feel like crimnals.

Mr. P said:
How in hell can ya get neg. rep in a breast feeding thread? :laugh:

Easily. Just let Nuke twist your post around to say what it doesn't really say, and then point it out to him. :)

-Cp said:
I find it HIGHLY contradictory for a Society that tries its hardest to remove women's clothing on TV, Ads and Movies - but Heaven forbid she breast-feeds - Nope, can't see em' then, that'd be somehow wrong!

Worse - People get FINED for showing a boob during a TV Show (Superbowl), yet there were Ads in the same program for erectile disfunction. That's odd.

-Cp said:

Why do we live with such hypocrisy where Doctors - and most any sensable person - all promote that "breast is best" for the Baby yet, as a society, make it darn near impossible for a woman to perform breast feeding without somehow making them feel like crimnals.

My hypothesis is that men want to see breasts in the sexual sense, like this: :boobies: . When a woman nurses, she is using her breasts in a much different - and not especially sexy - sense. So it ruins guy's images of her breasts, and they don't agree. In the case of other women, there may be (again, purely speculation on my part) some women who look down on breastfeeding as holding women down, etc. (I'm talking about hardcore feminists).

Just my opinion... please, no neg rep! :D

gop_jeff said:
My hypothesis is that men want to see breasts in the sexual sense, like this: :boobies: . When a woman nurses, she is using her breasts in a much different - and not especially sexy - sense. So it ruins guy's images of her breasts, and they don't agree. In the case of other women, there may be (again, purely speculation on my part) some women who look down on breastfeeding as holding women down, etc. (I'm talking about hardcore feminists).

Just my opinion... please, no neg rep! :D

Maybe the grown men are just jealous of the baby?

Not in a sexual sense, but in a 'I wish I could bond with a woman like that' sense.

I would much rather see a woman feeding her baby than the many other things that go on in public places.

Examples from a recent outing are:

1. fat European men in speedos (highly offensive)

2. teenage girls in tight short skirts and crop tops with a belly roll filling the space in between. ( these girls just make me wonder if they passed a mirror on the way out and where are their parents)

3. parents who let their children run in circles around the table in a restaurant. (ok not offensive but darned annoying)

4. teenagers who make out while waiting to be let into a movie (geez get a room already)

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp
dmp said:
Maybe the grown men are just jealous of the baby?

Not in a sexual sense, but in a 'I wish I could bond with a woman like that' sense.

I think you are in the minority of men who think about such bondag- er, bonding. :whip:

Kathianne said:
I agree with the blanket thing, but have you noticed how most restaurant rest rooms are maintained? Not my problem anymore, but there is no way that I was feeding my baby on a toilet or something like that.

Never once did I find it necessary to 'flash' anything, anywhere. Right bra, right top, right blanket. Actually in the summer, had the right tops that in some cases, a blanket wasn't necessary, the snuggli would do fine.[/QUOTE]

Like I said a little discretion goes miles. :)

gop_jeff said:
I think you are in the minority of men who think about such bondag- er, bonding. :whip:

No - I think I'm in the minority of men who realize what's going on inside them, and 'why'.

:)

I think MOST men want to bond with a woman; just don't recognize it.

Forum List

Back