Breast Feeding in public? Offensive or not?

Public breastfeeding?

• I'm not bothered by public breastfeeding at all

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I'm only bothered if the mother doesn't at least make an attempt to cover up

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Public breastfeeding disgusts me-covered or not.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I went to the mall yesterday, and sat down on a bench to rest. A woman comes up, tiny baby crying in stroller, and sets up to feed her. She got out a blanket and such so she was covered up. I was not bothered by this, as I am expecting myself, and know that while many malls are updating with nursing rooms, it is not always feasible to feed a baby the way nature intended, other than like how I mentioned above.

Well, the only other woman that was in the seating area, made an obvious disgusted noise and got up and walked away, and I believe she even gave the young mother a dirty look, but I can't be sure.

My question is, if so many people out there are saying the US is so uptight about nudity, etc., then why do those same peopleget grossed out or are disgusted by a woman doing something that is so natural? She is providing food and nutrition to the baby when it needs it, and that may very well have to be in public because babies need to be fed so often.

C'mon people. In a society where the free exposure of breasts is not all that uncommon, the very women that are encouraged to flaunt them as something for men to play with, why are we chided for using them how God intended for their use?

I see nothing wrong with breast feeding in public. If you're baby is hungry, then you have to fulfill your duty as a parent and feed the child.

Interesting…

What I think is..

Would you answer your door to a stranger in high cut lace panties and a lace bra, NO, Why?
You’ll parade around on a beach or by a pool in a slim bikini in front of strangers, right, Sure, Why?

The thing is, some things are acceptable in public and some aren't, nursing isn’t.

But I'd watch! :D

fuzzykitten99 said:
I went to the mall yesterday, and sat down on a bench to rest. A woman comes up, tiny baby crying in stroller, and sets up to feed her. She got out a blanket and such so she was covered up. I was not bothered by this, as I am expecting myself, and know that while many malls are updating with nursing rooms, it is not always feasible to feed a baby the way nature intended, other than like how I mentioned above.

Well, the only other woman that was in the seating area, made an obvious disgusted noise and got up and walked away, and I believe she even gave the young mother a dirty look, but I can't be sure.

My question is, if so many people out there are saying the US is so uptight about nudity, etc., then why do those same peopleget grossed out or are disgusted by a woman doing something that is so natural? She is providing food and nutrition to the baby when it needs it, and that may very well have to be in public because babies need to be fed so often.

C'mon people. In a society where the free exposure of breasts is not all that uncommon, the very women that are encouraged to flaunt them as something for men to play with, why are we chided for using them how God intended for their use?
You're assuming the woman who was disgusted also was someone who liked boobies all over her TV...

the funniest one i every saw was in berkeley.....this kid about 5 walks up to his mom ducks under her shirt and starts feeding

manu: That isn't funny. That's just all kinds of fucked-up...almost as fucked-up as that one time I saw the AIM guy pop up on someone's computer screen going "You got Cancer! Goodbye!" Someone managed to manipulate it so that would happen, but it was funny and fucked-up :D

The ClayTaurus said:
You're assuming the woman who was disgusted also was someone who liked boobies all over her TV...

did I say that? No.
But it is usually the same people who say we are too uptight about nudity in the Us that go about saying that feeding a baby the natural way, covered or not, is taboo.

So just because a woman is feeding her child the food it needs and not exposing herself for a guy's visual pleasure, it makes it bad?

With a little effort, infants are not a problem feeding in public. That's what all those receiving blankets are about. :laugh: Now, if they are walking and talking, they should be able to use a cup! (up to the mom what they are drinking from that cup).

Mr. P said:
I've heard of some as old as 8..I don't wanna see that.

That is scary :fifty:

I think as long as a woman covers up and does it modestly it's okay. although it's not something I would seek out either, more than likely I would feel like I was intruding on her space and just politely stroll away else-where

I breast feed my kids in public. When they're little they eat every 2-3 hours so unless a mother wants to be chained to the house breast feeding in public is necessary.

I usually went to an out of the way location (if they're wasn't a family bathroom) and threw a blanket over my shoulder. I even did it in a restaurant once, I went to the bathroom got him all hooked up threw a blanket over my shoulder and walked back to the table and unless people were paying attention no one was the wiser.

I have seen women be VERY obvious about it and I know that bothers people, I don't think women should just whip it out discretion should be used. :shocked: :eek2:

I breast-fed 3 of my kids until they were a year old. When they're older, they don't need the breast for every meal, and you can hold them off for a little while with juice, crackers, etc. But, when you have a young baby, and they eat every 2-3 hours, you just have to do it in public sometimes. Ladies should try to be discreet, though.

I do remember once, I was sitting in the parking lot, in my car, covered up. I had to switch sides, and a woman walked by just as I was doing that. But, IF anything showed at all, it was just a quick flash. She actually said a few nasty words to me. Could never understand that.

I have a friend who started a chapter of La Leche League in our county. She does work with the local pregnancy center & low-income women to promote breast-feeding, which I think is great. She breast-fed her younger boy until he was well over three, though. LLL is a bit militant for me.

mom4 said:
I breast-fed 3 of my kids until they were a year old. When they're older, they don't need the breast for every meal, and you can hold them off for a little while with juice, crackers, etc. But, when you have a young baby, and they eat every 2-3 hours, you just have to do it in public sometimes. Ladies should try to be discreet, though.

I do remember once, I was sitting in the parking lot, in my car, covered up. I had to switch sides, and a woman walked by just as I was doing that. But, IF anything showed at all, it was just a quick flash. She actually said a few nasty words to me. Could never understand that.

I nursed all 3 to 1 year. Never had a problem with anyone. I wouldn't feed my child in a washroom either. I like the way some of the better department stores do have a separate sitting room, no baby changing tables, where moms can sit down with their babies. More restaurants should do the same.

Mr. P said:
Isn't this why they make the pumps? :duh3:
Good Lord, Man! If you'd ever used one of those masochistic contraptions, you wouldn't be so quick to sentence women to that!

Kathianne said:
I nursed all 3 to 1 year. Never had a problem with anyone. I wouldn't feed my child in a washroom either. I like the way some of the better department stores do have a separate sitting room, no baby changing tables, where moms can sit down with their babies. More restaurants should do the same.
Those are a great idea. I wish they had had more of them when I was bf.

Forum List

Back