BREAKTHROUGH: First HIV-Positive Man Cured

R

rdean

Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukaemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing " strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

While Brown is the first person to ever be declared cured of HIV, his case paves a path for constructing a cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

BREAKTHROUGH: First HIV-Positive Man Cured - Local News - Spokane, WA - msnbc.com

This is another demonstration of why we need "scientists" and "doctors". And some say scientists just sit on their butt.

I said that about scientists in another thread. A couple of my best friends are world-class scientists.

They sit on their butts all right. But they achieve amazing things.

This is good news, but it shouldn't send the message that spreading HIV is ok.

I said that about scientists in another thread. A couple of my best friends are world-class scientists.

"OK"? That's a strange comment.

Spreading HIV is a "criminal offense".

It is a wonderful development, rdean. I would really love to see AIDS cured and fully eradicated before I die.

Now I need a wingnut to explain to me again why stem cell research is a bad thing, LOL.

It is a wonderful development, rdean. I would really love to see AIDS cured and fully eradicated before I die.

Now I need a wingnut to explain to me again why stem cell research is a bad thing, LOL.

Stem cells from murdering children are a bad thing because it gives some a reason to murder more children. They don't even need those stem cells, they have others from other sources. And last I checked the only ban ever in place was on stem cells from abortions. And murdered children.

Embryonic stem cell research/cure means that the life saved was done so at the cost of another's life.

Embryonic stem cell research/cure means that the life saved was done so at the cost of another's life.

Seems the matter is somewhat more complex, Zoom-boing.

FAQs [Stem Cell Information]

But assuming that all stem cells are harvested from the medical waste product of an abortion, why oppose the research that may save lives based on them? No one is having abortions just to produce this product, or is that the concern?

Right wing definition of a "murdered child".

zygote.jpg

Isn't it amazing how right wingers want desperately to "get them born" and once they are born? Fuck 'em. Who cares? Starve the pests. If you feed them they'll "breed" (Andre Baur - GOP Leader).

Republicans block legislation to feed more children, improve school lunches | Markets | Market News | Canadian Business Online

GOP Policy: The little fuckers. We didn't make them. Why should we have to take care of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the improvements in HIV medications, HIV has become a chronic disease rather than a death sentence...similar to diabetes.

I don't think that they should spend as much time and resources on finding "cures", but rather focus on continued med improvement.

Right wing definition of a "murdered child".

zygote.jpg

Isn't it amazing how right wingers want desparately to "get them born" and once they are born? Fuck 'em. Who cares? Starve the pests. If you feed them they'll "breed" (Andre Baur - GOP Leader).

Republicans block legislation to feed more children, improve school lunches | Markets | Market News | Canadian Business Online

Republicans block legislation to feed more children, improve school lunches

Well, are people having abortions just to produce stem cells, or not?

With the improvements in HIV medications, HIV has become a chronic disease rather than a death sentence...similar to diabetes.

I don't think that they should spend as much time and resources on finding "cures", but rather focus on continued med improvement.

Ya but xotoxi, the medications are expensive and not everyone gets them. And they have side effects. I still want a cure....and a vaccine.

Ya but xotoxi, the medications are expensive and not everyone gets them. And they have side effects. I still want a cure....and a vaccine.

Do you really believe that the cure will be 100% effective and cheap?

"OK"? That's a strange comment.

Spreading HIV is a "criminal offense".

Perceptions of the seriousness of transmission of HIV should not be held lax due to the recent developments in scientific advances regarding the cure of said disease.

How's that. Less strange?

I dunno, xotoxi. The vaccine, mebbe. I just want this scourge gone....it terrifies me and I hate it.

I dunno, xotoxi. The vaccine, mebbe. I just want this scourge gone....it terrifies me and I hate it.

It doesn't terrify me, because it is not something that you can get without doing something.

Would you personally take the vaccine?

Would you give the vaccine to a teen and tell them that they are protected?

It doesn't terrify me, because it is not something that you can get without doing something.

Would you personally take the vaccine?

Would you give the vaccine to a teen and tell them that they are protected?

I just want things back the way they were before this disease emerged. I'm not afraid of catching it, xotoxi....my life is hardly that exciting and I'm pretty cautious. I'm just afraid of it in general.

I dunno if I would give a wee one in my care that vaccine, if it existed. These decisions are never easy for nonscientists...people feared the polio vaccine at first, if I recall correctly.

I dunno if I would give a wee one in my care that vaccine, if it existed. These decisions are never easy for nonscientists...people feared the polio vaccine at first, if I recall correctly.

However, you could get polio from environmental exposure.

In order to get HIV, you have to, in one way or another, consume an infected person's bodily fluids.

Forum List

Back