BREAKING: United States attacks Syria

Oh Gunny, spell check can't catch everything.

So, do do you agree with my statement?

As a matter of fact, no, I do not.

To begin with, your statement that the US respects only borders protected by nukes cannot be proven nor disproven since we have not attacked every sovereign border on Earth since the development of nuclear arms. The fact that we have not may only be indicative of no desire nor reason to.

Second, what does it take for some of you US foreign policy critics to come to grips with learning from past history? We allowed a pissant quasi-military and regular military stand on the other side of the borders of Cambodia and Laos and laugh at us. We allow a bunch of paramilitary murdering thugs to do it now in Pakistan.

Why? Because of people like you and reasoning such as you posted. The fact is we are war with an enemy and if a bordering nation is providing safe haven, aiding and abetting an enemy makes you an enemy and you're fair game.

If it's that Syria is afraid to do anything, then shut up and let us do it. No skin off their noses.

Either way, to allow your enemy to attack you and run back across some arbitrary line in the sand then turn around and taunt you is stupid, it's piss-poor tactics and you WILL lose.

While I can understand Iran's thinking, it is not in our best interest that an Islamic regime possess nuclear weapons and there is an option you have not offered. We can bomb their nuclear program back to 10M BC without once stepping foot in Iran.

That would leave Iran with the option of suck it up or attack us. Strategically, Iran is currently situated between 2/3s of our armed forces. Probably would be an unwise move on their part.

"Since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

- Thucydides, 411 B.C.

As a matter of fact, no, I do not.

To begin with, your statement that the US respects only borders protected by nukes cannot be proven nor disproven since we have not attacked every sovereign border on Earth since the development of nuclear arms. The fact that we have not may only be indicative of no desire nor reason to.

Point taken, but my understanding is that the U.S. has never violated the border of any State in possession of Nuclear weapons, true? If so it would indicate that we take the sovereignty of states possessing nuclear weapons much more seriously than those which do not.

Second, what does it take for some of you US foreign policy critics to come to grips with learning from past history? We allowed a pissant quasi-military and regular military stand on the other side of the borders of Cambodia and Laos and laugh at us. We allow a bunch of paramilitary murdering thugs to do it now in Pakistan.

I thought we were talking about Syria, not Pakistan? Anyway, I would try an avoid Vietnam analogies when talking about Iraq, we didn’t come off so hot in that conflict. Yes I know we managed to off about 2 Million Vietnamese, but last time I checked there was no Saigon on the world map.

Why? Because of people like you and reasoning such as you posted. The fact is we are war with an enemy and if a bordering nation is providing safe haven, aiding and abetting an enemy makes you an enemy and you're fair game.

I know, I know, there is no sovereignty other than that recognized by the US…due to the possession of a nuclear arsenal.

If it's that Syria is afraid to do anything, then shut up and let us do it. No skin off their noses.

Yes, it’s good to spread fear through the world. That’s a legacy worth leaving my children “if someone is too weak to stop you, that’s their problem”.

Either way, to allow your enemy to attack you and run back across some arbitrary line in the sand then turn around and taunt you is stupid, its piss-poor tactics and you WILL lose.

You are right, but it was a piss-poor strategist that got us there in the first place, and bulling the world is not going to make us any friends on the world stage. This second it may be us ignoring borders at will, but who knows the next power that will follow our example.

While I can understand Iran's thinking, it is not in our best interest that an Islamic regime possess nuclear weapons and there is an option you have not offered. We can bomb their nuclear program back to 10M BC without once stepping foot in Iran.

Just like we did to Iraq in 1991? It still took ground forces to drive Saddam from Kuwait and I am sure that the Iranian weapons labs are buried pretty deep. That would leave Iran with the option of suck it up or attack us.

Strategically, Iran is currently situated between 2/3s of our armed forces. Probably would be an unwise move on their part.

At some point Russia may have a problem with US military forces in Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. If the Russians had 2/3rds of their combat forces deployed to Mexico it would probably make the US pretty jumpy.

If might makes right, one can rest assured that if their power declines, and someone else attains more power - then one's borders will garner the same respect they afforded to others (i.e. none).

Being politically weak but militarily strong means you need to use force way more often to achieve ends. Sure, that may be costly - but not to the decision makers. So, without a change in those tasked with decision-making, I would not expect a change methodology.

Just when you think the government couldn’t get any stupider. Now, the Syrians have an excuse to team up with the rest of the Middle East and declare war on the United States. The U.S. recently attacked on Pakistan soil too, and they’re a nuclear state, I think they only have 100 nuclear warheads. Only 100.

How would America like it if the Syrians and Pakistani's came to America chasing terrorist and started blowing up cities and towns?

Last edited:
The Middle East might unite forces and drive America out of the Middle East. I suppose Iraq will be carved like a Christmas goose by neighboring countries who value oil.

Yeah that might happen, and then Pakistan might stop receiving the hundreds of millions we send them in aid and military technology and they wouldn't get the F35 fighter, and then India can come in and take them over.

Yeah that might happen, and then Pakistan might stop receiving the hundreds of millions we send them in aid and military technology and they wouldn't get the F35 fighter, and then India can come in and take them over.

For some reason in all these discussions about Pakistan (and curbing the spread of Muslim fundamentalism in general) people keep forgetting our biggest bargaining chip India, the world’s largest democracy. The US has close cultural and business ties to India but it seems like the past (and according to rhetoric future) administrations have completely ignored this “ace in the hole”.

Is it because aligning ourselves with India would alienate the Muslim world even more (hard to imagine) or our traditional support of Pakistan and China against India. That might have made sense in the days when India was a huge importer of Soviet arms, but in the present context it seems stupid and shortsighted to leave India out when dealing with a conflict stretching from Turkey to Pakistan.

It may just be my impression, but does anyone know why we seem to be leaving India out of the War on Terror?

IMO, it won't be long before India and Pakistan start lopping missiels at each other. They'll probably start World War III.

Forum List

Back