Breaking: Obama Cuts Deal Reducing Social Security, Medicare and all Entitlments

Jan 17, 2010
Mississippi
Every time something good happens like in the election of Scott Brown, Obama goes behind closed doors during the euphoria of it all and plots. Read this.

Obama Cuts Deal that Will Reduce Social Security, Medicare and all Entitlements

washingtonpost.com

The Obama administration literally collapsed yesterday. Any pretense of liberal change was washed away in a closed door deal to cut entitlements. While the Massachusetts voters were casting their ballots to install the upstart Republican Scott Brown to Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat, President Obama was hammering out an agreement with Democratic leaders to support a plan to issue an executive order to cut entitlements, including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

As the Washington Post explains this morning:
Under the agreement, President Obama would issue an executive order to create an 18-member panel that would be granted broad authority to propose changes in the tax code and in the massive federal entitlement programs — including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security — that threaten to drive the nation’s debt to levels not seen since World War II.

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what they come up with. I'm not somebody who approves of Social Security/Medicare anyway on Constitutional grounds. But in consideration of the fact that they do exist... they must be dealt with. Entitlement expenses are out of control and wrecking us.

Based on this one article, it sounds like this board can only make recommendations to the legislature, and while I have no trust left for Obama appointees, it's hard to imagine they could do much worse than Congress has done so far.

• Banned
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what they come up with. I'm not somebody who approves of Social Security/Medicare anyway on Constitutional grounds. But in consideration of the fact that they do exist... they must be dealt with. Entitlement expenses are out of control and wrecking us.

Based on this one article, it sounds like this board can only make recommendations to the legislature, and while I have no trust left for Obama appointees, it's hard to imagine they could do much worse than Congress has done so far.

What would you rather have in place for retirees instead of Social Security?

What would you rather have in place for retirees instead of Social Security?

I'd prefer to see the States administer safety nets for the poor and indigent. We're a compassionate people, and we don't want people starving and doing without. But it would be wise for people to be encouraged to have their retirement years firmly in mind as they begin their careers.

Even if the states wanted to proceed with entitlements, I'd have no problem with it. By the 10th, they can do that.

If it were left up to me, I'd parcel Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid out to the States along with their revenues... even if it took twenty years to get it done. We'd have 50 innovative microcosms, all competing for citizens and business revenues.

I'm not sure of the constitutionality of the EO or the panel themselves.

Taxing and spending law is to originate with the congress, not a board of bureaucrats.

Every time something good happens like in the election of Scott Brown, Obama goes behind closed doors during the euphoria of it all and plots. Read this.

washingtonpost.com

The Obama administration literally collapsed yesterday. Any pretense of liberal change was washed away in a closed door deal to cut entitlements. While the Massachusetts voters were casting their ballots to install the upstart Republican Scott Brown to Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat, President Obama was hammering out an agreement with Democratic leaders to support a plan to issue an executive order to cut entitlements, including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Under the agreement, President Obama would issue an executive order to create an 18-member panel that would be granted broad authority to propose changes in the tax code and in the massive federal entitlement programs — including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security — that threaten to drive the nation’s debt to levels not seen since World War II.

There's nothing wrong with this and it's actually something that is needed, Clinton did the same thing with the Kerry-Danforth Commission and the commissions findings were quite solid (too bad special interests killed any chance of any of them being turned into policy).

We need to do something about the skyrocketing costs of entitlements because they will, in the not too distant future, completely bankrupt this country. I just hope that President Obama can convince people like Peter J. Peterson to participate on this commission like Mr. Peterson did on the Kerry-Danforth commission, along with at least some other rational non-Keynesian worshiping economists, perhaps something quite useful will come out of it.

• Banned

washingtonpost.com

There's nothing wrong with this and it's actually something that is needed, Clinton did the same thing with the Kerry-Danforth Commission and the commissions findings were quite solid (too bad special interests killed any chance of any of them being turned into policy).

We need to do something about the skyrocketing costs of entitlements because they will, in the not too distant future, completely bankrupt this country. I just hope that President Obama can convince people like Peter J. Peterson to participate on this commission like Mr. Peterson did on the Kerry-Danforth commission, along with at least some other rational non-Keynesian worshiping economists, perhaps something quite useful will come out of it.
Do you think we need to do away with SS all together?

washingtonpost.com

Personally I think it should have never been implemented in the first place, however we are stuck with it now as I do not see any real possibility (in my lifetime) of eliminating it other than by some catastrophic circumstance. So to answer your question, yes I would prefer to see it eliminated but I'm a realist. ;)

That being said, I found the contents of the Kerry-Danforth Commission findings as to how we can make SS sustainable over the long term very interesting and logical (to me anyways), if you're interested in the subject Mr. Peterson wrote an excellent book on the subject (as well as many other related topics).....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Running-Empty-Democratic-Republican-Bankrupting/dp/0312424620/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264092138&sr=1-1"]Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do About It[/ame] - By Peter G. Peterson

This is an opinion piece of shit not news!
1. eliminate payroll tax.
2. pass health care through reconcilia

WOW!!!!!! This is indeed unprecedented....and a disater in the making for Democrats....they have stepped on the 3rd rail.
I'm at a total loss for words after reading that article.

Personally I think it should have never been implemented in the first place, however we are stuck with it now as I do not see any real possibility (in my lifetime) of eliminating it other than by some catastrophic circumstance. So to answer your question, yes I would prefer to see it eliminated but I'm a realist. ;)

That being said, I found the contents of the Kerry-Danforth Commission findings as to how we can make SS sustainable over the long term very interesting and logical (to me anyways), if you're interested in the subject Mr. Peterson wrote an excellent book on the subject (as well as many other related topics).....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Running-Empty-Democratic-Republican-Bankrupting/dp/0312424620/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264092138&sr=1-1"]Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do About It[/ame] - By Peter G. Peterson

If we did do away with SS hypothetically I wonder what seniors would do? What could be a alternative for seniors to survive on I wonder?

I'm not sure of the constitutionality of the EO or the panel themselves.

Taxing and spending law is to originate with the congress, not a board of bureaucrats.

I dunno. It doesn't sound too much different than hiring a consultant firm. Perhaps, rather than establishing a board by executive order... they should simply sub-contract with a couple of think-tanks. (????)

Either way, ideas for laws are not laws until the legislature decides they are.

SS was a good idea that went very wrong. it's sad to see retirees who have put into it all these years and have coming back to them because the government has used it all up for other things. Mismanagement and overspending is the downfall of SS.

If we did do away with SS hypothetically I wonder what seniors would do? What could be a alternative for seniors to survive on I wonder?

Don't worry about it. The death panels would solve the problem.

What alternative do they have now? SS is bankrupt! All their SS that they paid in is

G O N E

Another opinion piece of crap.
1. eliminate payroll tax.
2. Pass health care through recincilliation .
3. Add medicare for all. Let them vote on it.

2 tax cuts
Prescription drug bill
All done through reconcilliation.
none of it paid for!

Obama doesn't give a shit about seniors, kids, or anyone else. He's going to do everything in his power to make sure the American people are punished. Remember all those threats he made? "If we don't pass this then blank & blank will happen"? He will make sure those things happen.

AS to SSI... what are they gooing to cut? Our pension that we have been paying into for years, or, payments to those who HAVEN'T been paying?

Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do About It - By Peter G. Peterson

What alternative do they have now? SS is bankrupt! All their SS that they paid in is

G O N E
I am talking about people like grandma's and grandpa's out there right now that depend on it.

Forum List

Back