BREAKING NOW: Robin Williams Found Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conversations are two way streets though. "It's not your place to judge", STFU, "fuck you" and all the rest his superfans offer up is not a conversation. By the time people are permitted to discuss it, the people you want to be having that conversation with have moved their attention elsewhere. If you are not open to other people's perspectives, they are not going to be open to yours.

I am open to any other perspectives but this kind of thing always elicits strong reactions from people.

Not every issue has a one-size fits all warm-fuzzy solution. Making excuses for/rationalizing/covering up Robin Williams' behavior is part of a culture that enables the mentally ill to engage in reckless behavior of their own--like self-medicating with street drugs and alcohol instead of seeking/continuing proper therapy. Likewise, discussing the negatives about his decision to kill himself and the manner in which he did it might cause someone contemplating the same to think about it a bit longer, giving them more time to weather their current storm. Nonetheless, the enablers and obsessive control freaks don't want anybody thinking, speaking, acting in any manner that does not meet with their approval, thereby costing an opportunity to possibly have a constructive conversation under the guise that it is impolite, rude, classless, etc. as if they do not otherwise conduct themselves the same way the rest of the year regarding the living.

Like I said, I'm open to other viewpoints. I object to the notion that those contemplating suicide are selfish or terrible people for killing themselves.

It isn't enabling anyone to point out the seriousness of this disease.

Don't you think if someone reading this was thinking along those lines and saw a lot of the negative garbage, they would be discouraged?

I'd rather be empathetic here.

Well, Robin will have to do some time in purgatory - then he'll make it to heaven.
We all make mistakes.
Poor guy.
He didn't have to do that. No life is worth losing that way. Sad. Now his whole family has got to live like that. Suicide effects many, many people.

It could not possibly be any more obvious that, in the moment, he didn't see it that way at all.
Duh. That was the point. He didn't focus on what he had. It isn't a disease that sweeps over your helpless brain. I think liberals have a much more difficult time understanding because emotions rule their lives.

Until you have seen someone sink into the depths of depression, without any identifiable "reason", it may be difficult to understand. I saw, and I believe, it is a disease. My friend was not ill, far from poor, had family & friends. A respected man in our town.........("Richard Corey" runs through my mind) and one night grew very calm, informed his "decision" was final, and did as Richard Corey did.
Are you a lib? You must be. Failure to agree fully with you means I don't know anything. I've had much closer dealings than that. You can't save someone from themselves and it doesn't just happen. You didn't know his inner most thoughts so how can you declare you know what the problem was?

Duh. That was the point. He didn't focus on what he had. It isn't a disease that sweeps over your helpless brain. I think liberals have a much more difficult time understanding because emotions rule their lives.

Until you have seen someone sink into the depths of depression, without any identifiable "reason", it may be difficult to understand. I saw, and I believe, it is a disease. My friend was not ill, far from poor, had family & friends. A respected man in our town.........("Richard Corey" runs through my mind) and one night grew very calm, informed his "decision" was final, and did as Richard Corey did.
Are you a lib? You must be. Failure to agree fully with you means I don't know anything. I've had much closer dealings than that. You can't save someone from themselves and it doesn't just happen. You didn't know his inner most thoughts so how can you declare you know what the problem was?

I wrote "MAY", and "BELIEVE". And I spent hours every day, for five months trying to convince him to live; you are correct however, I will never know WHY.

Robin Williams is burning in Hell for killing himself. All the good he has done in life is going up in smoke.

Not necessarily true at all.

He could have repented as he died, and he could have had such a mental disorder that he did not have moral responsibility for his action.

We should not judge; that is God's job, not ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back