Breaking News: Romney sides with Obama against Ryan

R

rdean

“I fully support the effort to extend the low interest rate on student loans,” Romney said at a joint news conference with Florida Senator Marco Rubio. “There was some concern that that would expire halfway through the year, and I support extending the temporary relief on interest rates for students as a result of student loans, obviously, in part because of the extraordinarily poor conditions in the job market.”

In publicly breaking with his own party, Romney is taking away a potential wedge issue for President Obama’s campaign — and giving hope to Democrats that they may find new momentum for the legislation [to extend the rates]. The deadline for the current, low interest rates to expire is July 1…

Republicans oppose the bill in part on the grounds that it isn’t paid for…

Asked whether House Republican leadership would get behind Courtney’s bill, given Romney’s comments, a spokesman for Speaker John Boehner was non-committal.

Romney sides with Obama in supporting extension of low student-loan rates

Remember, Ryan wants to cut 175 billion from Pell Grants.

Is this Romney's first "etch a sketch" moment?

We are the ONLY country in the world that makes it harder to go to school and get an education. Because, as all Republicans know, "Education is for snobs".

Extending low interest rates on existing student loans does mean the same thing as granting additional Pell Grants. One is existing loans, one is who will get new loans.

Extending low interest rates on existing student loans does mean the same thing as granting additional Pell Grants. One is existing loans, one is who will get new loans.

What loans? Ryan's budget cuts 175 billion from Pell Grants. Do you think Republicans want to support loans for college students? Santorum said education is for snobs. Republicans want to get rid of the dept of Education which oversees loans.

Republicans think colleges and universities are hotbeds of secularism and liberalism and should be shut down.

This is the only country in the world where government makes it harder to get an education. Republicans don't want this country educated. They want stupid sheeple they can imprint with their ridiculous talking points.

“I fully support the effort to extend the low interest rate on student loans,” Romney said at a joint news conference with Florida Senator Marco Rubio. “There was some concern that that would expire halfway through the year, and I support extending the temporary relief on interest rates for students as a result of student loans, obviously, in part because of the extraordinarily poor conditions in the job market.”

In publicly breaking with his own party, Romney is taking away a potential wedge issue for President Obama’s campaign — and giving hope to Democrats that they may find new momentum for the legislation [to extend the rates]. The deadline for the current, low interest rates to expire is July 1…

Asked whether House Republican leadership would get behind Courtney’s bill, given Romney’s comments, a spokesman for Speaker John Boehner was non-committal.

We are the ONLY country in the world that makes it harder to go to school and get an education. Because, as all Republicans know, "Education is for snobs".

I've been remiss on keeping my scorecard up to date --- could you bring me up to speed on whether this is a Romney flip or Romney flop or-----or is this another Romney flip-flop then flip back. Geez, I need to update my scorecard more often -- my bad.

This is all part of the plan Rdean

The trap Democrats are laying for Mitt Romney - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

In each case, the obvious general election position for Romney to take would be with the Democrats. If there were no cost, Romney would probably like to distance himself from unpopular Congressional Republicans. But there’s a lot of risk involved. Even with the nomination wrapped up, he still needs at least tacit support from major party factions.

First up: The student loan rate extension. Romney has already committed to Barack Obama’s position on this one, but House Republicans are reluctant to go along.

Next: The Violence Against Women Act, where Republicans in Congress have objected to reauthorization if modest Democratic changes are included.

And after that, the Senate will be taking up the “Paycheck Fairness” bill, which covers discrimination against equal pay for women.

Each of these is apt to be highly popular, and yet in each case Congressional Republicans are expected to oppose the bills as proposed.

Who will Romney side with?

In each case, the obvious general election position for Romney to take would be with the Democrats. If there were no cost, Romney would probably like to distance himself from unpopular Congressional Republicans. But there’s a lot of risk involved. Even with the nomination wrapped up, he still needs at least tacit support from major party factions.

First up: The student loan rate extension. Romney has already committed to Barack Obama’s position on this one, but House Republicans are reluctant to go along.

Next: The Violence Against Women Act, where Republicans in Congress have objected to reauthorization if modest Democratic changes are included.

And after that, the Senate will be taking up the “Paycheck Fairness” bill, which covers discrimination against equal pay for women.

Each of these is apt to be highly popular, and yet in each case Congressional Republicans are expected to oppose the bills as proposed.

Who will Romney side with?

I chipped a nail yesterday. When is Obama gonna stop that from happening? Fucking government. Why won't they help me? I'm outraged!

*Ooops, sorry.... slid back into sarcasm mode there for a second*

Romney says "Go to a cheaper school".

Mitt Romney on College Tuition - YouTube

Colorado Peak Politics:: CHECK YOUR RECORD: Obama Skipped Votes On Student Loan Bill He Is Campaigning On In Boulder Today

In 2007, then-Illinois Sen. Barack Obama missed two votes on the student loan interest bill that he now wants Congress to extend.

Obama twice skipped the Senate vote on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act when the bill came to the Senate floor first in July and again in September of 2007, according to public records.

The bill, introduced by Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) and signed into law by President George W. Bush, first cleared the Senate in July on a 78 to 18 vote, with Obama as one of only four senators to abstain. Obama did not cast a vote again in September, after the House and Senate had ironed out different versions of the bill. He was on the conference committee assigned to merge the House and Senate versions of the bill.

Romney says "Go to a cheaper school".

Mitt Romney on College Tuition - YouTube

Colorado Peak Politics:: CHECK YOUR RECORD: Obama Skipped Votes On Student Loan Bill He Is Campaigning On In Boulder Today

In 2007, then-Illinois Sen. Barack Obama missed two votes on the student loan interest bill that he now wants Congress to extend.

Obama twice skipped the Senate vote on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act when the bill came to the Senate floor first in July and again in September of 2007, according to public records.

The bill, introduced by Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) and signed into law by President George W. Bush, first cleared the Senate in July on a 78 to 18 vote, with Obama as one of only four senators to abstain. Obama did not cast a vote again in September, after the House and Senate had ironed out different versions of the bill. He was on the conference committee assigned to merge the House and Senate versions of the bill.

Well, to be fair, politicians running for President who are also serving the public at the same time tend to miss many more votes than their counterparts.

And it's also common for proponents of a bill to not vote unless they think the score will be close. It is well-documented that the President did do a pretty good job on his conference committee for this issue as well as with the issue of loose-nukes, where he and Republican Dick Lugar got on very well.

Back to the topic thread, I'm happy that Mitt Romney is supportive of this common sense stuff about student loans. The work done on it has shown that government can do some things on our behalf that are of use.

Like the OP states, America has made it tougher than ever to make a quality education affordable, whether you point the blame at government or the private sector.

Forum List

Back