Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

Have you ever noticed how few Democratic politicians have any experience in running a business? Laws like this are a natural result of politicians who don't understand economics or what it takes to run a business.

Yes ... because EVERYONE loves going to a ultra crowded, overly priced restaurant.
Stay home then.
Many will do just that. Which will drop the income of the restaurants which leads to more closing which leads to less employees...

See the cycle here?
And the restaurants that can afford to pay will gain customers, and then have to hire more staff. Or they will raise prices, which people will pay because the ones with lower prices are now out of business. Got it now?

Or they take a few extra minutes and go outside the city. That's exactly what I would do.
So, do. If you're that cheap they didn't need your business in the first place.

And I suppose you're going to head to your local Burger King and buy $20.00 burgers on a routine basis -- right? You big spender, you.

Oh look! An article that states the reasons for many of the closings!! What a coincidence!!

The OP mentioned "Little Uncle". See why they are closing......

Seattle Magazine Restaurants Why Are So Many Seattle Restaurants Closing Lately
Right in the middle of your article you fucking moron.

And for Seattle restaurateurs recently, there is also another key consideration. Though none of our local departing/transitioning restaurateurs who announced their plans last month have elaborated on the issue, another major factor affecting restaurant futures in our city is theimpending minimum wage hike to $15 per hour. Starting April 1, all businesses must begin to phase in the wage increase: Small employers have seven years to pay all employees at least $15 hourly; large employers (with 500 or more employees) have three.

Since the legislation was announced last summer, The Seattle Times and Eater have reported extensively on restaurant owners’ many concerns about how to compensate for the extra funds that will now be required for labor: They may need to raise menu prices, source poorer ingredients, reduce operating hours, reduce their labor and/or more.

Washington Restaurant Association's Anton puts it this way: “It’s not a political problem; it’s a math problem.”

He estimates that a common budget breakdown among sustaining Seattle restaurants so far has been the following: 36 percent of funds are devoted to labor, 30 percent to food costs and 30 percent go to everything else (all other operational costs). The remaining 4 percent has been the profit margin, and as a result, in a $700,000 restaurant, he estimates that the average restauranteur in Seattle has been making $28,000 a year.

With the minimum wage spike, however, he says that if restaurant owners made no changes, the labor cost in quick service restaurants would rise to 42 percent and in full service restaurants to 47 percent.

“Everyone is looking at the model right now, asking how do we do math?” he says. “Every operator I’m talking to is in panic mode, trying to figure out what the new world will look like.” Regarding amount of labor, at 14 employees, a Washington restaurant already averages three fewer workers than the national restaurant average (17 employees). Anton anticipates customers will definitely be tested with new menu prices and more. “Seattle is the first city in this thing and everyone’s watching, asking how is this going to change?”

Reading comprehension, you suck at it.

I saw that. It doesn't concede that any closings are due to the increase. In fact..it concludes that more restaurants are opening than ever amidst the increase.

You fuckers have NEVER been able to prove that minimum wage increases cost jobs. NEVER.

You need to find another cause. You lost this one. America wants living wages for all full time employees in all fields and in all locations. Deal with it.

Stay home then.
Many will do just that. Which will drop the income of the restaurants which leads to more closing which leads to less employees...

See the cycle here?
And the restaurants that can afford to pay will gain customers, and then have to hire more staff. Or they will raise prices, which people will pay because the ones with lower prices are now out of business. Got it now?

Or they take a few extra minutes and go outside the city. That's exactly what I would do.

And I suppose you're going to head to your local Burger King and buy $20.00 burgers on a routine basis -- right? You big spender, you.
Nope, but if I paid what I should be paying, round $5 for the burger, it wouldn't change at all how often I eat them, about twice a week.

Have you ever noticed how few Democratic politicians have any experience in running a business? Laws like this are a natural result of politicians who don't understand economics or what it takes to run a business.

Libs have experience fantasizing/dreaming and telling others the best way to run their lives. They're pretty inexperienced at producing and being practical.

See the cycle here?

Nope, but if I paid what I should be paying, round $5 for the burger, it wouldn't change at all how often I eat them, about twice a week.

I bet the cashier at your fast food joint ain't makin' $15.00 an hour either.

It’s evident that those Demoncrats don’t have a clue about economics. They never think of the consequences of their “feel good policies.” Neither do they have a clue how a business is run and operated. Seems to me this should be a litmus test for elected officials

Seattle eateries closing as 15 minimum wage approaches Hot Air
Um exactly how many restaurants have closed? I'm sure this increase will cause a few closings, however, the economy will do better in the long run because of the increase in consumer spending due to larger paychecks. 70% of the economy is economic demand.

The larger paychecks are being eaten up by ObamaCare and inflation, bub.
Um if inflation "ate up" consumer spending, then our economy would have collapsed a long time ago. ObamaCare has not at all interfered with consumer spending.

The Labor Force Participation Rate is "back to the 70s". Job creation in this fake recovery is less than half of what it was in the 80s. We have record numbers of people classified as being in poverty. These aren't exactly hallmarks of a Robust Economy, bub.
1/4 of that labor participation loss is retirees. Others are people going on disability. Yes, certainly a portion of it is people who gave up looking for a job. However the issue isn't so much of a lack of jobs - that growth has been at its best since 1999 - it's because wages are too low. People won't take jobs with shitty pay. Another reason for this is that there are too many jobs that Americans are not qualified for. Obama tried to address these issues in two ways: trying to raise the minimum wage and trying to implement job training programs at community colleges. Republicans blocked both of these attempts. They are scumbags.

It’s evident that those Demoncrats don’t have a clue about economics. They never think of the consequences of their “feel good policies.” Neither do they have a clue how a business is run and operated. Seems to me this should be a litmus test for elected officials

Seattle eateries closing as 15 minimum wage approaches Hot Air
Um exactly how many restaurants have closed? I'm sure this increase will cause a few closings, however, the economy will do better in the long run because of the increase in consumer spending due to larger paychecks. 70% of the economy is economic demand.

The larger paychecks are being eaten up by ObamaCare and inflation, bub.
Um if inflation "ate up" consumer spending, then our economy would have collapsed a long time ago. ObamaCare has not at all interfered with consumer spending.

The Labor Force Participation Rate is "back to the 70s". Job creation in this fake recovery is less than half of what it was in the 80s. We have record numbers of people classified as being in poverty. These aren't exactly hallmarks of a Robust Economy, bub.
1/4 of that labor participation loss is retirees. Others are people going on disability. Yes, certainly a portion of it is people who gave up looking for a job. However the issue isn't so much of a lack of jobs - that growth has been great - it's because wages are too low. People won't take jobs with shitty pay. Another reason for this is that there are too many jobs that Americans are not qualified for. Obama tried to address these issues in two ways: trying to raise the minimum wage and trying to implement job training programs at community colleges. Republicans blocked both of these attempts. They are scumbags.

Translation: 3/4 of the drop is due to Dismal Obamanomics which destroys job creation.

Suck on that lollipop, junior.

Four restaurants closing makes it easier for the other eateries to establish working prices that lead to a profit.
That is idiotic....It also stupid to believe these 4 will be the only ones.
Can you be any more vapid...Oh restaurants will not be the only businesses that will make 'adjustments'...

Restaurants are already experimenting with robot servers. Hotels have been using robots for awhile to deliver items to rooms. This is not all bad to liberals. Reduced operating costs enables higher taxes which are used to make welfare payments to those who used to work.

This kind of robot?
seven-of-nine.jpg
That's some set of knockers..seven of nine

Oh look! An article that states the reasons for many of the closings!! What a coincidence!!

The OP mentioned "Little Uncle". See why they are closing......

Seattle Magazine Restaurants Why Are So Many Seattle Restaurants Closing Lately
Right in the middle of your article you fucking moron.

And for Seattle restaurateurs recently, there is also another key consideration. Though none of our local departing/transitioning restaurateurs who announced their plans last month have elaborated on the issue, another major factor affecting restaurant futures in our city is theimpending minimum wage hike to $15 per hour. Starting April 1, all businesses must begin to phase in the wage increase: Small employers have seven years to pay all employees at least $15 hourly; large employers (with 500 or more employees) have three.

Since the legislation was announced last summer, The Seattle Times and Eater have reported extensively on restaurant owners’ many concerns about how to compensate for the extra funds that will now be required for labor: They may need to raise menu prices, source poorer ingredients, reduce operating hours, reduce their labor and/or more.

Washington Restaurant Association's Anton puts it this way: “It’s not a political problem; it’s a math problem.”

He estimates that a common budget breakdown among sustaining Seattle restaurants so far has been the following: 36 percent of funds are devoted to labor, 30 percent to food costs and 30 percent go to everything else (all other operational costs). The remaining 4 percent has been the profit margin, and as a result, in a $700,000 restaurant, he estimates that the average restauranteur in Seattle has been making $28,000 a year.

With the minimum wage spike, however, he says that if restaurant owners made no changes, the labor cost in quick service restaurants would rise to 42 percent and in full service restaurants to 47 percent.

“Everyone is looking at the model right now, asking how do we do math?” he says. “Every operator I’m talking to is in panic mode, trying to figure out what the new world will look like.” Regarding amount of labor, at 14 employees, a Washington restaurant already averages three fewer workers than the national restaurant average (17 employees). Anton anticipates customers will definitely be tested with new menu prices and more. “Seattle is the first city in this thing and everyone’s watching, asking how is this going to change?”

Reading comprehension, you suck at it.

I saw that. It doesn't concede that any closings are due to the increase. In fact..it concludes that more restaurants are opening than ever amidst the increase.

You fuckers have NEVER been able to prove that minimum wage increases cost jobs. NEVER.

You need to find another cause. You lost this one. America wants living wages for all full time employees in all fields and in all locations. Deal with it.
So you read it and didn't understand it. That's fine. I can lead you to water but can't keep you from punching yourself in the dick.

Despite these serious challenges, however, brave restaurateurs continue to open eateries in Seattle, which, remembering basic supply and demand, also naturally accounts for closures we’ve already seen and more that will come. Capitol Hill alone is carrying on an unprecedented dining boom, and in mid January, Capitol Hill Seattle announced that Nue, Chris Cvetkovich’s modernist global street food joint, was the neighborhood’s 100th food and drink opening in three years.

Other major Capitol Hill additions from the last few months include Stateside, (Eric Johnson’s long-awaited French-Vietnamese outpost), Tallulah’s (Linda Derschang’s [of Smith and Oddfellows] casual neighborhood café) and Serious Pie Pike (Tom Douglas’s third location of his pizza joint, now open in the new Starbucks Roastery). Moreover, just this week on the Hill, we’ve got news of Lisa Nakamura opening the Gnocchi Bar in the Packard Building on 12th Avenue (formerly the Capitol Hill D’Ambrosio Gelateria Artigianale) at the end of March.

Forum List

Back