Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Steve_McGarrett, Mar 14, 2015.

1. hadit

hadit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    I predict food assemblers will relatively soon be replaced by automated machines that can do a better, more consist job. Why pay labor costs for workers that call out sick, show up late, do shoddy work because they don't care when you can expense capital for machines that do none of those things?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ame®icano

Ame®icano Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    When your computer doesn't perform good enough for your work, you upgrade it or replace it with new, faster one. If you have no use of old one, you dispose it. If replacing that assembler with machine is cheaper for employer, though luck for assembler then. He needs to add some upgrades to his set of skills to become relevant again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hadit

hadit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    That's my point. It sounds like a lot of people don't want to have to put in the effort to remain relevant, however, and want the government to free them of that responsibility.

4. Ame®icano

Ame®icano Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    But putting effort is hard... :D

Story time: Old friend of mine had an ugly divorce. They both used to work, but when he started making more money, she stayed at home. During divorce she was demanding alimony to keep her lifestyle that would require over half of his income. When lawyers finally agreed on 60-40 split she argued she can't live on that. He told her that she could find a job to make up the difference. Her question was: "You're expecting me to work?" When judge heard it, he said "I'm expecting you to work" and his final split was 75-25 in his favor. She also got his whole 401k. He moved back to his parents, she bought herself nice house.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ame®icano

Ame®icano Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    Washington state employment data:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Link

If 200,000 people can't find job that pays $9.47 that is Washington state current minimum wage, how can they find a job that pays more than that?

Current Seattle unemployment rate is at 4.4%.

6. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    1) What possible freaking difference does it make what time of day I happen to be free to read and post to the message board? Can you be any more pointlessly random?

2) Nice subject change. Too bad for you that shit doesn't work on me.

3) I never said it was "proven conclusively", dumbass. I said the point has been MADE. I actually acknowledged that it WASN'T proven conclusively, at least as far as you were concerned. What language is your mother tongue, since it clearly isn't English?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    Problem is, leftists are such children, living in the moment with an attention span of about five minutes. So they proudly trumpet, "See? Nothing bad has happened yet!" right after they do something heinously stupid, and by the time the effects of their action can actually be seen - because most things simply don't work that fast, and particularly not economics - they've already forgotten what they did, what the predictions were that have now come true, and that there was even an argument at all. By the time you can say, "See? This is the result of what you did, just like I said it would be. NOW defend it", they've already moved the goalpost and made the argument about something else entirely and tried to define the parameters as including the inevitability and rightness of their actions, as though the world has ALWAYS been that way.

The older my youngest child gets, the more he reminds me of debating with leftists. Or vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    I have worked in a field that changed drastically thanks to computers. My job didn't become obsolete, but the skills and how they were used became very different, and required ongoing training. I certainly didn't expect improved software and its usage to be suppressed so that I could continue on without any effort or change, nor did I expect someone to pay me a buttload of money for something that could now be done better by a machine. I adapted and found ways to earn the money I wanted to be paid.

9. hadit

hadit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    That is the correct motorcycle. Whole industries come and go, and with them careers. I'm sure there were whip manufacturers that cursed the automobile.

10. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,746
    I suspect that what will see, rather than obvious spikes in unemployment or inflation, is a gradual gentrification of the communities that implement the higher minimums. Which, of course, liberals will cite as evidence of their "success".