BREAKING NEWS: Blogoyavitch to name Obama's replacement at 3pm EST

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Blagojevich to name Burris to Senate - Chicago Breaking News

Gov. Rod Blagojevich is expected today to name former Illinois Atty. Gen. Roland Burris to replace President-elect Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

The action comes despite warnings by Democratic Senate leaders that they would not seat anyone appointed by the disgraced governor who faces criminal charges of trying to sell the post, sources familiar with the decision said.

Shortly after Obama's Nov. 4 victory, Burris made known his interest in an appointment to the Senate but was never seriously considered, according to Blagojevich insiders. But in the days following Blagojevich's arrest, and despite questions over the taint of a Senate appointment, Burris stepped up his efforts to win the governor's support.

Though he is 71, Burris has said that Obama's replacement should be able to win re-election and he has noted that despite a string of primary losses in races ranging from Chicago mayor to governor and U.S. senator, he's never lost to a Republican.

The Senate has no reason to not seat the appointment without evidence that it was made in some illegal manner. Until or unless the Governor is impeached or the State changes its Constitution, the Governor IS the person solely responsible for the appointment.

Damn, Blago has chutzpah! I hope the Senate doesn't seat him. Burris is just a professional politician.He supported Todd Stroger. :rolleyes:

Senate Majority Leader Reid and Illinois Secretary of State Jessie White have both stated they will not accept anyone appoint by Blago. Why he even trys is beyond me. They have the man on recording stating his intent to sell a US Senate Seat. Even beyond the other charges, he should have resigned right there.

The people of Illinois will not be properly represented until a clean appointment or special election can be carried out.

Senate Majority Leader Reid and Illinois Secretary of State Jessie White have both stated they will not accept anyone appoint by Blago. Why he even trys is beyond me. They have the man on recording stating his intent to sell a US Senate Seat. Even beyond the other charges, he should have resigned right there.

The people of Illinois will not be properly represented until a clean appointment or special election can be carried out.

It was a slick move, though... because technically, no action has as yet been taken which would divest him of the right to make the appointment.

The guy has no ethics, but man, total chutzpah.

It was a slick move, though... because technically, no action has as yet been taken which would divest him of the right to make the appointment.

The guy has no ethics, but man, total chutzpah.

No, I agree. Hes just being defiant. He is well within his right to appoint, and the others are well within their right to ignore.

The Senate has no reason to not seat the appointment without evidence that it was made in some illegal manner. Until or unless the Governor is impeached or the State changes its Constitution, the Governor IS the person solely responsible for the appointment.

according to the talking heads on the TV the Senate can refuse to seat.

A new precedent? because obamalama was black he had to be replaced by a back man? I see possibilities, so all white female seats must be replaced by white females. or white males, or hispanic males.. my my my oh my

Blagojevich to name Burris to Senate - Chicago Breaking News

Gov. Rod Blagojevich is expected today to name former Illinois Atty. Gen. Roland Burris to replace President-elect Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

The action comes despite warnings by Democratic Senate leaders that they would not seat anyone appointed by the disgraced governor who faces criminal charges of trying to sell the post, sources familiar with the decision said.

Shortly after Obama's Nov. 4 victory, Burris made known his interest in an appointment to the Senate but was never seriously considered, according to Blagojevich insiders. But in the days following Blagojevich's arrest, and despite questions over the taint of a Senate appointment, Burris stepped up his efforts to win the governor's support.

Though he is 71, Burris has said that Obama's replacement should be able to win re-election and he has noted that despite a string of primary losses in races ranging from Chicago mayor to governor and U.S. senator, he's never lost to a Republican.

Is the Attn Gen wealthy?

The Illinois Secretary of State is refusing to certify the selection, which effectively kills it. Like it or not, the Senate would refuse to seat the appointment, but won't get that far.

Forum List

Back