Breaking news: 9th court just blocks Trumps parade

You know, you guys keep saying that the parade will honor the military, but I can tell you from experience that it is more of a pain in the ass than anything.

You gotta get a haircut (10 bucks), you gotta get your uniform dry cleaned (15 bucks), if you have awards, you will have to get your ribbons and medals mounted (can be anywhere from a couple of bucks to a whole bunch. At the end of my career, it would cost me about 35 dollars to get them done). And, if you are lazy and don't know how to spit shine your shoes, it could be the cost of a pair of corafam shoes (shiny plastic shoes that look good for inspection, 45 bucks).

And, you have to spend all that money just to look good for a couple of hours. And yes, there is ALWAYS a personnel inspection before an event like this.

This is stupid nonsense and you know it.

There are those in all branches of the military who’s job is to be the face of the military. They are always in full dress and always fully regulation. Some regular Joe Schmuck on the USS Neverport isn’t going to have to get a haircut, Press his slacks and go to Washington to march in a parade.

You know, you guys keep saying that the parade will honor the military, but I can tell you from experience that it is more of a pain in the ass than anything.

You gotta get a haircut (10 bucks), you gotta get your uniform dry cleaned (15 bucks), if you have awards, you will have to get your ribbons and medals mounted (can be anywhere from a couple of bucks to a whole bunch. At the end of my career, it would cost me about 35 dollars to get them done). And, if you are lazy and don't know how to spit shine your shoes, it could be the cost of a pair of corafam shoes (shiny plastic shoes that look good for inspection, 45 bucks).

And, you have to spend all that money just to look good for a couple of hours. And yes, there is ALWAYS a personnel inspection before an event like this.
Taking an occasional shower isn't goiing to kill you. Try it.

Military parades are fun to watch, but I agree they are a pain for the soldiers marching in them.

Seems like our parades always ended being on saturday morning.

Which kinda cut my weekend short. .... :cool:

Well, I don't know about the Navy, but in the Air Force, all of what you just said was required dress code in compliance with AFR 35-10. At all times, you had to have a properly maintained uniform in all the required uniform sets. That would be Battle Dress Uniforms (cammies), approved casual fatigues (daily work uniforms), dress blues, and I'm not sure, but the officers had to maintain formal uniforms for those occasions where a flag officer was presiding. I can't recall the name of that set. Mess Dress or something like that.

Hey, I had a full seabag, but because there weren't many occasions that required dress blues, so the only time I wore them was maybe once or twice a year, which is why I had them freshly dry cleaned. Sitting in a closet for 6 or 8 months kinda required me to get them freshly cleaned. I didn't want to take a chance on failing.

Most times I wore working blues (had 3 sets), working whites (had 3 sets), or dungarees (only 3 sets required for inspection, but I kept 5 because of the work conditions on the ship).

Quick question....................did you wear you dress uniform every day, or was it only for special required occasions? I only had to wear them a couple of times a year. And, when you did have to wear them, didn't you get them freshly cleaned just to be sure for inspection? I did.
I get that. We usually had three or four base parades a year. We were still required to keep on full, in regulation, Service Dress uniform. That included making sure the medals were up to date. The Commander could, at his whim, call a uniform inspection and we'd be obligated to go home and change into a full dress uniform. I even had an occasion to attend a flag event in full Mess Dress so I had one of those uniforms. I didn't keep that one up though. That dress required the actual medals, not just the ribbons. Air Force uniforms are pretty damn dull if you ask Me. At the time, I was thankful for that given what the Marine full dress looks like.

Oh, didn't see your question. We usually wore them 3 or 4 times a year. Normal work duty allowed us to wear our fatigues.

But when we did do full parade, it was usually in August with heat in excess of 95+ degrees.

Last edited:

Sorry shipmate, by the time I was 25% of the way through my career an inspection ready, ribbon (and/or medals) mounted, corafam shoes only worn for inspection uniform was always hanging in the closet or bunk locker.

The haircut I'll give you, but you should have all the other stuff ready to go.

>>>>>

I kept my ribbons up to date because they were relatively cheaper to maintain, but the only time I updated my medals (if required) was just before a major inspection that required them. I think I only had around 10 times where I was required to be in full dress uniform with medals. And, I generally ended up getting some type of award at least once each tour, which meant that my medals were mostly up to date, but each time I earned a new one, that would require updating my ribbons and medals. Because medals were so expensive to do, I only did it when I needed to.

I eventually learned how to do a really good spit shine which is why I quit wearing corafams. Leather shoes will last you a long time (and you get better marks on inspection), and look better than corafams if you know how to do it right, and I did.

And, I didn't consider a uniform that had been hanging in my closet for 6 to 8 months to be inspection ready unless I had it freshly cleaned.

I think he should have went with fagulas.

in English, please.

4c3235fca0d1262b30dcb7cbff5f7b37.jpg

ribbons mounted cost $$?? wtf?? !!! mounted to what??!!

if they wear cammies--no cost
you have to have a haircut anyway
you should have those shoes already--or shined shoes already-
-lazy??!!!what unit is THAT??
--but I was in the USMC--what unit were you with? you didn't have inspections?

San Francisco

Chief Judge: Sidney Runyan Thomas of the 9 th court just issued a temporary ban on Trumps military parade, citing irreparable mental health issues with the the liberals across the nation . Eric holder of the resistance is quoted as saying " we can not allow this military parade to take place it upsets the homos, the illegals and snowflakes all across America "

What? They can't do that! We need to clean that court out! ;)

Well, I don't know about the Navy, but in the Air Force, all of what you just said was required dress code in compliance with AFR 35-10. At all times, you had to have a properly maintained uniform in all the required uniform sets. That would be Battle Dress Uniforms (cammies), approved casual fatigues (daily work uniforms), dress blues, and I'm not sure, but the officers had to maintain formal uniforms for those occasions where a flag officer was presiding. I can't recall the name of that set. Mess Dress or something like that.

Hey, I had a full seabag, but because there weren't many occasions that required dress blues, so the only time I wore them was maybe once or twice a year, which is why I had them freshly dry cleaned. Sitting in a closet for 6 or 8 months kinda required me to get them freshly cleaned. I didn't want to take a chance on failing.

Most times I wore working blues (had 3 sets), working whites (had 3 sets), or dungarees (only 3 sets required for inspection, but I kept 5 because of the work conditions on the ship).

Quick question....................did you wear you dress uniform every day, or was it only for special required occasions? I only had to wear them a couple of times a year. And, when you did have to wear them, didn't you get them freshly cleaned just to be sure for inspection? I did.
I get that. We usually had three or four base parades a year. We were still required to keep on full, in regulation, Service Dress uniform. That included making sure the medals were up to date. The Commander could, no his whim, call a uniform inspection and we'd be obligated to go home and change into a full dress uniform. I even had an occasion to attend a flag event in full Mess Dress so I had one of those uniforms. I didn't keep that one up though. That dress required the actual medals, not just the ribbons. Air Force uniforms are pretty damn dull if you ask Me. At the time, I was thankful for that given what the Marine full dress looks like.

See? Even by your own admission, you didn't keep up your medals for your full Mess Dress uniform because they are expensive to mount. That is the reason the only time I updated my medals was when I had to.

My ribbon bar was kept up to date because they were relatively cheaper.

I wore a 15 ribbon bar at the end of my career. And, I had around 6 medals when I retired. Each time I was given a medal be it Good Conduct, Navy Achievment or anything else, it had to be mounted on a medal bar and sewn together with the other medals. And, if you were the the Marines, you would also know that there is a specific order that those medals need to be in, which meant that if you were awarded a new medal, that could change your whole setup, and that would require getting new medals mounted.

He was Navy ... You know, the folks that make the Marines ride along for security ... :dunno:

I get that. We usually had three or four base parades a year. We were still required to keep on full, in regulation, Service Dress uniform. That included making sure the medals were up to date. The Commander could, no his whim, call a uniform inspection and we'd be obligated to go home and change into a full dress uniform. I even had an occasion to attend a flag event in full Mess Dress so I had one of those uniforms. I didn't keep that one up though. That dress required the actual medals, not just the ribbons. Air Force uniforms are pretty damn dull if you ask Me. At the time, I was thankful for that given what the Marine full dress looks like.

See? Even by your own admission, you didn't keep up your medals for your full Mess Dress uniform because they are expensive to mount. That is the reason the only time I updated my medals was when I had to.

Not true. I said I wasn't sure if the regulations required us to have a full mess dress uniform. We WERE required to maintain one 35-10 Service Dress uniform. For the Air Force, Service Dress would be considered Dress Blues. Mess Dress was for formal occasions that had a flag officer or higher in attendance. I was enlisted so I wasn't required to attend formal events, and I don't remember, but I don't think enlisted were required to meet the "Mess Dress" uniform requirement, though they could if they wanted to spend out of pocket for it. I was a bit gung-ho when I was in and did things like that.

He was Navy ... You know, the folks that make the Marines ride along for security ... :dunno:

I'd like to know what ''mounting'' costs are?

I'd like to know what ''mounting'' costs are?
That's gay navy code....

Not true. I said I wasn't sure if the regulations required us to have a full mess dress uniform. We WERE required to maintain one 35-10 Service Dress uniform. For the Air Force, Service Dress would be considered Dress Blues. Mess Dress was for formal occasions that had a flag officer or higher in attendance. I was enlisted so I wasn't required to attend formal events, and I don't remember, but I don't think enlisted were required to meet the "Mess Dress" uniform requirement, though they could if they wanted to spend out of pocket for it. I was a bit gung-ho when I was in and did things like that.

Like I said, I kept my ribbons up to date, but only had my medals mounted when I was required to go to a formal gig that required them. At the end of my career, a new ribbon bar was around 20 bucks for me.

And, I didn't consider my dress blues to be inspection ready after hanging in the closet for 6 to 8 months unless they were freshly dry cleaned. It's hard to keep the white piping on the Crackerjacks white if they are hanging in the closet.

I kept my ribbons up to date because they were relatively cheaper to maintain, but the only time I updated my medals (if required) was just before a major inspection that required them. I think I only had around 10 times where I was required to be in full dress uniform with medals. And, I generally ended up getting some type of award at least once each tour, which meant that my medals were mostly up to date, but each time I earned a new one, that would require updating my ribbons and medals. Because medals were so expensive to do, I only did it when I needed to.

I eventually learned how to do a really good spit shine which is why I quit wearing corafams. Leather shoes will last you a long time (and you get better marks on inspection), and look better than corafams if you know how to do it right, and I did.

And, I didn't consider a uniform that had been hanging in my closet for 6 to 8 months to be inspection ready unless I had it freshly cleaned.

I had a box that I got in PI, one of those ones guys use for man-jewelry (tie tacks, rings, watches, belt buckles, etc.) and had the guy take out the dividers and line the inside and the inside of the top with felt. Then I got some foam and cut it to size. This became my inspection box. When ever I gut a new ribbon or new medal then the contents of the box was updated immediately - not just before an inspection when the Exchange was busy and could screw it up.

Some of us kept our uniforms up to speed on our own and not when directed to. ;)

The trick with your uniforms was to get them cleaned and pressed immediately after the inspection and then hang them up properly. That doesn't let the BO settle in for months prior to the next cleaning. When you were good you could take the uniform out, do a little touch-up pressing with a steam iron and moist linen cloth. It (using a linen cloth) steams the creases fresh and having the towel between the uniform and iron prevents any iron marks you can sometime get when ironing directly on the uniform cloth. Use a fine linen or cotten cloth instead of something like a "bath towel" because of the fine weave and no nap like a bath towel. The LAST thing I wanted to do was turn my inspection uniform over to the dry cleaners before a major inspection. To many "Murphy's Law" possibilities.

>>>>

Like I said, I kept my ribbons up to date, but only had my medals mounted when I was required to go to a formal gig that required them. At the end of my career, a new ribbon bar was around 20 bucks for me.

And, I didn't consider my dress blues to be inspection ready after hanging in the closet for 6 to 8 months unless they were freshly dry cleaned. It's hard to keep the white piping on the Crackerjacks white if they are hanging in the closet.
I do understand. It just that we had inspections often. So we keep our uniforms up to date.

Forum List

Back