Breaking: Judge temporarily blocks Wisconsin union law

I think accusing judicial bias is a knee jerk reaction here.

Yes, the judge is deciding on a technicality (was the required 24 hr notice met), but WTF??? Are there no Lawyers among the Republicans in the WI State Congress??? Shouldn't they fucking KNOW how to dot the "i's" and cross the "t's????"
I'm not willing to make that call, one way or another, until all the facts are in public.

All there is here is a DA with very apparent political motives, filing a complaint and getting a temporary injunction until all the facts can be aired.

Is there a DA without political motive?

My point is that I don't believe the JUDGE is being bias.
I don't know that, one way or the other.

While the likelihood that it's all procedure is high, none of us is a mind reader.

I'll stick to distrusting them all...The percentage is higher.

Oh these lovers of law and democracy...slamming every judge they dont agree with as being traitors.

"ooohhh say can you seeee"

But I don't even *know* that the statute was violated in the first place.....Nor is there any evidence posted here that would suggest such.

The suit was filed by a democrat D.A. who is playing with house money.

Previous Post -->> http://www.usmessageboard.com/3437076-post59.html

True we won't *know* until there is a trial, however sufficient reasoning was presented in court to issue a temporary stay.

I doubt Senate "rule" are allowed to supersede clearly defined state law.

>>>>

From your link:

19.87 Legislative meetings. This subchapter shall apply to
all meetings of the senate and assembly and the committees, subcommittees
and other subunits thereof, except that:
(1) Section 19.84 shall not apply to any meeting of the legislature
or a subunit thereof called solely for the purpose of scheduling
business before the legislative body; or adopting resolutions of
which the sole purpose is scheduling business before the senate or
the assembly.
(2) No provision of this subchapter which conflicts with a rule
of the senate or assembly or joint rule of the legislature shall apply
to a meeting conducted in compliance with such rule.

(3) No provision of this subchapter shall apply to any partisan
caucus of the senate or any partisan caucus of the assembly, except
as provided by legislative rule.
(4) Meetings of the senate or assembly committee on organization
under s. 71.78 (4) (c) or 77.61 (5) (b) 3. shall be closed
to the public.

Good find, now if we could find out if the rules of the senate exempt themselves from the 24-hour requirement.

Senate Rule 93 posted by oddball applies to special sessions, but I believe the legislature was in regular session during the period in question and not in a special session called by the governor. The rule posted shows that no other notification is required except posting it on the bulletin board but I didn't see anything reducing the time below 24-hours, which would generate a conflict that would qualify for the exemption.

Good find though.

>>>>

Dane County Judge Maryann Sumi issued the order, which was requested by that county's District Attorney Ismael Ozanne, a Democrat. Ozanne filed a lawsuit contending that a legislative committee that broke a stalemate that had kept the law in limbo for weeks met without the 24-hour notice required by Wisconsin's open meetings law.

Judge temporarily blocks Wis. union law - Politics - msnbc.com

What position did the Judge take on the Democrats running away???? Seems like a Partisan Hack and a Hypocrite.

They left to call attention to what was going on, in that, they succeeded. You certainly didn't think Democrats wouldn't fight back?

Dane County Judge Maryann Sumi issued the order, which was requested by that county's District Attorney Ismael Ozanne, a Democrat. Ozanne filed a lawsuit contending that a legislative committee that broke a stalemate that had kept the law in limbo for weeks met without the 24-hour notice required by Wisconsin's open meetings law.

What position did the Judge take on the Democrats running away???? Seems like a Partisan Hack and a Hypocrite.

They left to call attention to what was going on, in that, they succeeded. You certainly didn't think Democrats wouldn't fight back?

So! Now FleeBaggis is fighting? Good Gawd Weenie.

So! Now FleeBaggis is fighting? Good Gawd Weenie.

parlez vous anglais?

How did they meet without the 24-hour notice when we all knew about it for weeks?

The meeting was not common knowledge. The Republican controlled legislature took the collective bargaining provision from the budget bill and passed it as a stand alone bill in this surprise meeting that has now come under scrutiny from a judge. Because the meeting wasn't announced 24 hrs in advance, it violates Wisconsin's open meeting laws.

Let the system go broke and let the teachers find employment else where. The nation is going broke, the states are going broke, either we all suck it up or we simply let it go. We American's let government have the cookie jar unattended, we made our own bed. Either stand up and fix it or say screw it.

Let the system go broke and let the teachers find employment else where. The nation is going broke, the states are going broke, either we all suck it up or we simply let it go. We American's let government have the cookie jar unattended, we made our own bed. Either stand up and fix it or say screw it.
No it isn't, it's just a recession not the end of the world. Quit whining.

Judge temporarily blocks Wisconsin union law

MADISON, Wisconsin — A judge has issued a temporary restraining order blocking Wisconsin's new and contentious collective bargaining law from taking effect.

Ozanne filed a lawsuit contending that a legislative committee that broke a stalemate that had kept the law in limbo for weeks met without the 24-hour notice required by the Midwestern state's open meetings law.
The Republican-controlled Legislature passed the measure and Gov. Scott Walker signed it last week.

LINK

I don't know what difference this is going to make in the end, as even if they gave a 24 hour notice and got the awol Democrat legislators to come back, all they needed was one ""present" to pass this bill.This will change nothing, all this is doing is costing the tax payers more money.

Forum List

Back