Breaking: Judge temporarily blocks Wisconsin union law

It probably BROKE the law, that 24 hour notice to the public, so that the public was notified and could respond to, the government's actions and vote on this....

this is what has to be reviewed.

The public gets no vote on legislative bills. Wisconsin is not a full democracy, they operate like every other State. The only thing the public votes on are things that require a public vote, and legislative action does not require a public vote.

What vote for the public?

that's not the law in wisconsin....but there is a law that states the public must be given 24 hour public notice on when their legislature introduces a law that involves money is my understanding....and that the republicans DID NOT issue a public notice to the citizens of their state for this measure...

do you see something wrong with such a law....? forcing the gvt to notify state citizens within 24 hours of their scheduled vote, on money spending or saving measures?

I don't!

I think it is a good measure all around!!!

There have been protests over the law for weeks. How can we know about a vote for weeks, long enough to stage massive protests, but not know about it?

24 hours isn't a long time.

Most likely the judge is pandering to his own base in hopes of getting re-elected.

I'd bet my bottom dollar this was planned well before the law was passed.

Planned by who? the Republicans? the leadership are the only ones that were required to notify the public via public notice, that they were going to take this vote, in 24 hours....?

How could a Democrat plan that?

I guess I do not understand your reasoning on this...?

We are asking you for the law that allows them to do this.

If you mean Judges to rule on laws, then that would be the State Constitution. If you mean on this specific instance, it would be based on WI Statutes.

19.83 Meetings of governmental bodies. (1) Every
meeting of a governmental body shall be preceded by public
notice as provided in s. 19.84
, and shall be held in open session.
At any meeting of a governmental body, all discussion shall be
held and all action of any kind, formal or informal, shall be initiated,
deliberated upon and acted upon only in open session except
as provided in s. 19.85.

19.84 Public notice. (1) Public notice of all meetings of a
governmental body shall be given in the following manner
:
(a) As required by any other statutes; and
(b) By communication from the chief presiding officer of a
governmental body or such person’s designee to the public, to
those news media who have filed a written request for such notice,
and to the official newspaper designated under ss. 985.04, 985.05
and 985.06 or, if none exists, to a news medium likely to give
notice in the area.
(2) Every public notice of a meeting of a governmental body
shall set forth the time, date, place and subject matter of the meeting,
including that intended for consideration at any contemplated
closed session, in such form as is reasonably likely to apprise
members of the public and the news media thereof. The public
notice of a meeting of a governmental body may provide for a
period of public comment, during which the body may receive
information from members of the public.
(3) Public notice of every meeting of a governmental body
shall be given at least 24 hours prior to the commencement of such
meeting unless for good cause such notice is impossible or
impractical, in which case shorter notice may be given, but in no
case may the notice be provided less than 2 hours in advance of
the meeting.

Since there was no "emergency" as in flood, natural disaster, etc... there should have been no problem providing 24-hours notice of the public meeting.

[And not I'm not saying the legislature could pass the law as they amended it, they can. The issue to be addressed in court is did the legislature comply with open meeting law requirements. It appears from news reports at the time, the legislature did not comply with the 24-hour requirement.]

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/stat0019.pdf

>>>>

Last edited:

that's not the law in wisconsin....but there is a law that states the public must be given 24 hour public notice on when their legislature introduces a law that involves money is my understanding....and that the republicans DID NOT issue a public notice to the citizens of their state for this measure...

do you see something wrong with such a law....? forcing the gvt to notify state citizens within 24 hours of their scheduled vote, on money spending or saving measures?

I don't!

There have been protests over the law for weeks. How can we know about a vote for weeks, long enough to stage massive protests, but not know about it?
again more lazy stupid posts in order to dumb the issue down into a stupid 20 second soundbyte.

Sounds bytes? How exactly do you create soundbytes from a message board?

The public new that the law was going to be voted on. They protests for several weeks before it was past. How then can you honestly claim there wasn't 24 hour notice?

When a law is illegal, what are the group of people who strike down bad laws....

Judges......

And what the Renegade Democrats are doing is legal and ethical??? I think not.

legal? why is it illegal? generally illegal acts have to be proscribed by criminal law.

ethical?

absolutely.

far more ethical than lying about why you are doing something... like pretending its about saving money when it's about union busting.

What is the position on Collective Bargaining for Federal Employee's?
Union Busting???
I guess that would be determined in part by who Someone perceives as their Employer, the Union or the Signer of the Pay Check.
Still, I distinguish between Government Sector Unions and Private Sector Unions. My Union will always be The USA. ;) My perspective relates to stopping the Hi-Jacking. Government's Primary Role is the Establishment of Justice, and the Service of it, without Partiality. It is past time to wake up to that Truth.

Another Primary Role of Government is to Protect us from All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic, That includes protecting us from, Corporate, Union, and even Government abuse. Neither was the General Welfare Claus designed to trump Enumerated Powers or ignore, it's boundaries. We need to soberly reflect on the dangers of Usurpation, and the damage done by the feeding of the Beast Jillian. We cannot afford the expenses of worker benefits, at the cost of crumbling Infrastructure. We are falling apart at the seams, Government workers, the new middle class, bleeding the rest of us dry.

again more lazy stupid posts in order to dumb the issue down into a stupid 20 second soundbyte.

Sounds bytes? How exactly do you create soundbytes from a message board?

The public new that the law was going to be voted on. They protests for several weeks before it was past. How then can you honestly claim there wasn't 24 hour notice?

Because there was NOT 24 hour public notice given....pretty simple.

Most likely the judge is pandering to his own base in hopes of getting re-elected.

Democrats planned on the Republicans violating state law?

That doesn't make sense.

More likely we were trying to catch the missing Democratic Senators with their pants down by not being present and rushed it through without thinking.

>>>>

IF it is ruled that this measure needed the 24 hour PUBLIC NOTICE before it was voted on, all the Republicans need to do is reschedule a vote on this measure, giving their citizens, 24 hour public notice...It will probably still pass, as it did the first time around.

I don't think this is unethical, it is ethical.

Democrats planned on the Republicans violating state law?

That doesn't make sense.

More likely we were trying to catch the missing Democratic Senators with their pants down by not being present and rushed it through without thinking.

>>>>
No, the democratics planned on challenging the law in court, via whatever means they could lay their mitts on.

But supposing that that the open meeting statute was violated, there's absolutely nothing preventing a do-over.

IF it is ruled that this measure needed the 24 hour PUBLIC NOTICE before it was voted on, all the Republicans need to do is reschedule a vote on this measure, giving their citizens, 24 hour public notice...It will probably still pass, as it did the first time around.

I don't think this is unethical, it is ethical.

Seems fair minded. ;)

No, the democratics planned on challenging the law in court, via whatever means they could lay their mitts on.

Probably.

They probably are appreciating the fact that the GOP gave them such a clear cut violation to start the process with.

But supposing that that the open meeting statute was violated, there's absolutely nothing preventing a do-over.

I agree. If the GOP thinks of it. The WI Legislature could probably vote to repeal the previous action (rendering the lawsuit Null & Void) then proceed to pass it in a legal manner.

Dem's will probably still try to challenge it, but they will have to come up with a new reason.

>>>>

Probably.

They probably are appreciating the fact that the GOP gave them such a clear cut violation to start the process with.
But I don't even *know* that the statute was violated in the first place.....Nor is there any evidence posted here that would suggest such.

The suit was filed by a democrat D.A. who is playing with house money.

If it does get overturned on this procedural motion, i see this law getting passed again immediately afterwards.

And if it does, it's pretty sloppy of those in charge.

Senate Rule 93. Special, extended or extraordinary sessions. Unless otherwise provided by the senate for a specific special, extended or extraordinary session, the rules of the senate adopted for the regular session shall, with the following modifications, apply to each special session called by the governor and to each extended or extraordinary session called by the senate and assembly organization committees or called by a joint resolution approved by both houses:

(1) No senate bill, senate joint resolution or senate resolution shall be considered unless it is germane to the subjects enumerated by the governor in the proclamation calling the special session or to the subjects enumerated by the committees on organization or in the joint resolution calling the extended or extraordinary session and is recommended for introduction by the committee on senate organization or by the joint committee on employment relations.

(2) No notice of hearing before a committee shall be required other than posting on the legislative bulletin board, and no bulletin of committee hearings shall be published.

(3) The daily calendar shall be in effect immediately upon posting on the legislative bulletin boards. The calendar need not be distributed.

(4) Any point of order shall be decided within one hour.

(5) No motion shall be entertained to postpone action to a day or time certain.

(6) Any motion to advance a proposal and any motion to message a proposal to the other house may be adopted by a majority of those present and voting.

Rules of the Wisconsin Senate

It probably BROKE the law, that 24 hour notice to the public, so that the public was notified and could respond to, the government's actions and vote on this....

this is what has to be reviewed.

The public gets no vote on legislative bills. Wisconsin is not a full democracy, they operate like every other State. The only thing the public votes on are things that require a public vote, and legislative action does not require a public vote.

I don't!

Except the law in question has no money involved, that was the whole point. They removed ALL budget items.

I don't!

Except the law in question has no money involved, that was the whole point. They removed ALL budget items.

Really? so I wonder why it was called the BUDGET REPAIR BILL, if it had no effect on the budget and no money measures were involved?

I guess we will see....

Probably.

But I don't even *know* that the statute was violated in the first place.....Nor is there any evidence posted here that would suggest such.

The suit was filed by a democrat D.A. who is playing with house money.

Previous Post -->> http://www.usmessageboard.com/3437076-post59.html

True we won't *know* until there is a trial, however sufficient reasoning was presented in court to issue a temporary stay.

Senate Rule 93. Special, extended or extraordinary sessions. Unless otherwise provided by the senate for a specific special, extended or extraordinary session, the rules of the senate adopted for the regular session shall, with the following modifications, apply to each special session called by the governor and to each extended or extraordinary session called by the senate and assembly organization committees or called by a joint resolution approved by both houses:

(1) No senate bill, senate joint resolution or senate resolution shall be considered unless it is germane to the subjects enumerated by the governor in the proclamation calling the special session or to the subjects enumerated by the committees on organization or in the joint resolution calling the extended or extraordinary session and is recommended for introduction by the committee on senate organization or by the joint committee on employment relations.

(2) No notice of hearing before a committee shall be required other than posting on the legislative bulletin board, and no bulletin of committee hearings shall be published.

(3) The daily calendar shall be in effect immediately upon posting on the legislative bulletin boards. The calendar need not be distributed.

(4) Any point of order shall be decided within one hour.

(5) No motion shall be entertained to postpone action to a day or time certain.

(6) Any motion to advance a proposal and any motion to message a proposal to the other house may be adopted by a majority of those present and voting.

Rules of the Wisconsin Senate

I doubt Senate "rule" are allowed to supersede clearly defined state law.

>>>>

Forum List

Back