Breaking: Gen. Mcchrystal submits resignation

He is not the first , nor is he the last General to speak harshly about his President. He will be replaced.

Hell, he should be begging to be replaced. with the head asswipe telling you to fight a war but not to hurt anybody you'd have to be crazy not to beg to be replaced. This was no fruedian slip on the general's part.

Should the OP resign?

CNN
[Updated at 6:04 p.m.] Gen. Stanley McChrystal has "offered to resign," according to a Twitter post from Time magazine's Joe Klein on Tuesday. Earlier, Klein, citing "a very reliable source," told CNN that McChrystal had already submitted his resignation.

As a soldier, he has the right to question his superior as to the logic, legality or whatever of his orders. But he doesn't diss the chain of command to the press.

Now he hasn't said anything to anybody that we don't already know. In no way does what he said qualify as news.

But the military is always subordinate to the civil authority in a democracy. And the general in command is subordinate to the commander in chief.

Now he gets to be a civilian, and he can say anything he wants. Which is acceptable for a civilian.

It appears that General McChrystal has offered to resign over the Rolling Stone insubordination.

Given his gross incompetence at orchestrating the Afghan War, I hope Obama accepts.
Insubordination? How so? What orders did he refuse to carry out?
Top Generals in a theater of war do not publicly question nor contradict the C-in-C.

Gross incompetence at orchestrating? Do you really think he orchestrated a damned thing?

McChrystal was both unsuited and unprepared to take command in Afghanistan, and our troops there have suffered as a result.

Michael Yon was right.

---

I posted here about McChrystal's incompetence weeks ago:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/113946-afghanistan-this-war-is-above-his-head.html

Last edited:
Heh ... and I just got finishing the Rolling Stone article.

I don't see what the big deal was.

All this does is make Obama look like a giant pussy, IMO.

It's not about Obama it's about proper protocol.

So what did he say?

Like I said in PP's thread, I read the whole piece and can't find one quote from him that crosses the line, IMO. Plenty from his "unnamed team members" but none from the General. If someone were to make the point that the General should have more control over what his team says to the media I would entertain that but there's nothing that the General said wrong.

Or is it that the interviews happened in the first place?

I guess we need to see the actual article but still it is pretty darn clear he undermined the CIC and risked demoralizing the soldiers' service. His apology acknowledges as much.

I am thankful for his service but he fell on his sword today.

McChrystal, for his part, on Tuesday issued a statement saying: "I have enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the civilian leaders and troops fighting this war and I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome."

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile," the statement said. "It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened."

McChrystal spent Tuesday calling those mentioned in the article to apologize, officials said. Among those was Holbrooke. It was not clear whether the general had spoken directly to Obama.

McChrystal ready to resign, sources say - Military- msnbc.com

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened," McChrystal said in a Pentagon statement. "Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard."

Maybe General Ripper can still be had.

035254d467b54e1a80d3facf9a7d7d482364d51.jpg

Dishonorable and lacking integrity.

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened," McChrystal said in a Pentagon statement. "Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard." Obama 'angry' after reading McChrystal's remarks - CNN.com

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened," McChrystal said in a Pentagon statement. "Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard."

McChrystal is learning the same lessons that civilians face. If you publically trash your boss, you will pay the price

It appears that General McChrystal has offered to resign over the Rolling Stone insubordination.

Given his gross incompetence at orchestrating the Afghan War, I hope Obama accepts.
Insubordination? How so? What orders did he refuse to carry out?
Top Generals in a theater of war do not publicly question nor contradict the C-in-C.

Gross incompetence at orchestrating? Do you really think he orchestrated a damned thing?

McChrystal was both unsuited and unprepared to take command in Afghanistan, and our troops there have suffered as a result.

Michael Yon was right.

---

I posted here about McChrystal's incompetence weeks ago:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/113946-afghanistan-this-war-is-above-his-head.html

You prefer a hand picked Obama yes man? McCrystal was picked by Obama and llok where we are. I don't blame the General or the troops. But the CIC is in charge, ask him.

McChrystal is learning the same lessons that civilians face. If you publically trash your boss, you will pay the price

If that was news to him he would never have made Major. Guess again.

You prefer a hand picked Obama yes man? McCrystal was picked by Obama and llok where we are. I don't blame the General or the troops. But the CIC is in charge, ask him.
President Lincoln, without any military background, went through almost a dozen generals before settling on Grant. Had he stubbornly stuck with McDowell, the Union would have lost the war.

McChrystal is a failure...there is no point in keeping a dud around.

You'd think he would've learned that back in OCS...

Last edited:
Who cares? Just another armchair warrior. More Generals behind him.

According to Drudge and HuffPost!

Wow. What a setback.

you're calling mcchrystal an armchair warrior....lmao....that rich coming YOU

the only time you serve is when you ask: would you like fries with that

you're calling mcchrystal an armchair warrior....lmao....that rich coming YOU

the only time you serve is when you ask: would you like fries with that

Forum List

Back