Breaking!!! Fracking is ticking timebomb under property-owner's land

And the money, what there is of it, is paid to large land owners (65 acres and more). Individual homeowners like me get the quakes and fires, not the royalty checks.
Ahhh the truth comes out. No wonder you have an axe to grind. :lol:
The area I live in was ravaged by heavy industry for better than a century. I wonder why we have to get poisoned yet again. My degree is a B.S. In Environmental Engineering. I have performed site investigations, environmental site assessments and remediation since 1982.

Even if I was a royalty holder, I would still be deeply concerned about the environmental price of that money. Perhaps yup live in some pristine place, unsullied by toxic chemistry. Or or attitude is: what does the environment matter, I got mine! Or, more tragically, you think you live on a disposable planet.
I live in one of millions of communities surrounded by toxicity. It's called Agriculture.

The oil field in which I operate has had many frac jobs performed in the past 65 years, along with numerous testings from the fresh water tables. Nada.

However, a half mile to the north, the water table has been long ago poisoned. By Agriculture.

I'm very proactive when it comes to the environment and spend thousands throughout the year staying in compliance with DNR rules and regs.

And the money, what there is of it, is paid to large land owners (65 acres and more). Individual homeowners like me get the quakes and fires, not the royalty checks.
The area I live in was ravaged by heavy industry for better than a century. I wonder why we have to get poisoned yet again. My degree is a B.S. In Environmental Engineering. I have performed site investigations, environmental site assessments and remediation since 1982.

Even if I was a royalty holder, I would still be deeply concerned about the environmental price of that money. Perhaps yup live in some pristine place, unsullied by toxic chemistry. Or or attitude is: what does the environment matter, I got mine! Or, more tragically, you think you live on a disposable planet.
some might have a change of heart but after how much damage has been done?

Not ALL Repubs are EPA-hating denier cultists US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
After Times Beach, MO, Love Canal, NY, and Anniston, AL, the right wing still calls for the abolition of the USEPA. How much damage has to be done there or in Oak Ridge, TN, Donora, PA, or Calverton, NY before the right wing gets it?

Perhaps if some of the Conservatives who cannot smell a benzene spill, but certainly can smell a stack of hundred dollar bills, could invest in their residential property right here within he sight of a hazardous waste incinerator, the first commercial nuclear power plant in the country, an oil refinery and several cracked wells. I think their at rude is 80% profit over health and 20% not in my backyard. They are essentially armchair Capitalists devoid of risk and cheering for profit as if they are watching the Rose Bowl game.

I live in one of millions of communities surrounded by toxicity. It's called Agriculture.

The oil field in which I operate has had many frac jobs performed in the past 65 years, along with numerous testings from the fresh water tables. Nada.

However, a half mile to the north, the water table has been long ago poisoned. By Agriculture.

I'm very proactive when it comes to the environment and spend thousands throughout the year staying in compliance with DNR rules and regs.
If oil and gas extraction, shipment, refinement and distribution is such a lead pipe cinch, why should we care when a tanker rams a shoal in Alaska or a pipeline bursts in Michigan or an oil well snaps off at the head in the Gulf of Mexico?

You don't mind if I use my knowledge and proximity to the source to voice legitimate concerns?

="Nosmo King, post: 9688320, member: 20704"]
If oil and gas extraction, shipment, refinement and distribution is such a lead pipe cinch, why should we care when a tanker rams a shoal in Alaska or a pipeline bursts in Michigan or an oil well snaps off at the head in the Gulf of Mexico?

You don't mind if I use my knowledge and proximity to the source to voice legitimate concerns?[/QUOTE]

Who says no one cares? You? And that makes it true?
Boo hoo.

Shit happens especially when extraction, shipment, refining, distribution, and retailing involves massive volumes at massive dollar cost just so you can sit in your car at the Taco Bell drive-up burning $1.50 worth of gas to buy an 89 cent taco.

Yet the incidents and accidents pale in comparison to the benefits.

You've earned a bitch-slap. :slap:

Tell us what your EE degree and experience have taught you about the effects of Agriculture on the environment?

Nothing? That's because they don't teach it, and you haven't worked it.

Or have you? :dunno:

="Nosmo King, post: 9688320, member: 20704"]

You don't mind if I use my knowledge and proximity to the source to voice legitimate concerns?

Who says no one cares? You? And that makes it true?
Boo hoo.

Shit happens especially when extraction, shipment, refining, distribution, and retailing involves massive volumes at massive dollar cost just so you can sit in your car at the Taco Bell drive-up burning $1.50 worth of gas to buy an 89 cent taco.

Yet the incidents and accidents pale in comparison to the benefits.

You've earned a bitch-slap. :slap:

Tell us what your EE degree and experience have taught you about the effects of Agriculture on the environment?

Nothing? That's because they don't teach it, and you haven't worked it.

Or have you? :dunno:[/QUOTE]
You want to know about the effects of nitrogen fertilizers have on the environment? Ask the good people of Toledo, Ohio after they could not even TOUCH their tap,water! Ask the oyster men of Cheasapeake Bay what agricultural runoff from Pennsylvania dairy farms did to their business.

If anyone thinks, pipes, are a danger than they are obviously under - educated.

We ship gasoline and oil, by pipelines, for decades, all across our country.

Very few problems.

We understand, some people are of the stone age and are still fearful of the evil fire.
I live in the heart of the Marcellus Shale deposits and amidst fracking operations. I've already seen three earthquakes inextricably linked to injection wells the 'experts' use to dispose of that toxic water. I've seen two (2) explosions at pipeline sites and a gas terminal built in the past five years.

I am not in the stone age, but on the front lines of the fracking boom. Do not try to placate me with anecdotes as I am living in reality here.
Where's this at?
Columbiana county, Ohio. Right where Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio come together. The earthquakes are happening in Mahoning County, immediately to my north. The pipeline explosions are happening right here in Columbiana county in Damascus, Ohio and Hanoverton, Ohio.

I'm 30 miles from the City of Pittsburgh.

You mean the explosion in 2011? Not related to fracking?

Danger Beneath Fracking Gas Oil Pipes Threaten Rural Residents - NBC News
A construction boom of pipelines carrying explosive oil and natural gas from “fracking” fields to market -- pipes that are bigger and more dangerous than their predecessors -– poses a safety threat in rural areas, where they sometimes run within feet or yards of homes with little or no safety oversight, an NBC News investigation has found.

No longer just conjecture people :talktothehand:

discuss...

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing OP I ever read on USMB. You sure you got today's codes?

A construction boom of pipelines carrying explosive oil and natural gas from “fracking” fields to market -- pipes that are bigger and more dangerous than their predecessors -– poses a safety threat in rural areas, where they sometimes run within feet or yards of homes with little or no safety oversight, an NBC News investigation has found.

discuss...
I heard somewhere that people used to be afraid of the internal combustion engine because the vehicle had to carry a tank full of flammable and explosive liquid on board.

BTW if building codes allow me to bury a 500 Gallon pressurized propane tank 10 feet away from my home what's the problem with a pipeline the same distance away?

I wonder if you know exactly how close your local gas utility supply pipes are to your home

discuss...
I heard somewhere that people used to be afraid of the internal combustion engine because the vehicle had to carry a tank full of flammable and explosive liquid on board.

BTW if building codes allow me to bury a 500 Gallon pressurized propane tank 10 feet away from my home what's the problem with a pipeline the same distance away?

I wonder if you know exactly how close your local gas utility supply pipes are to your home
Well I have gas pipes in the basement and in the walls? Holy crap I guess I'm in trouble.

Very few problems.

We understand, some people are of the stone age and are still fearful of the evil fire.
I live in the heart of the Marcellus Shale deposits and amidst fracking operations. I've already seen three earthquakes inextricably linked to injection wells the 'experts' use to dispose of that toxic water. I've seen two (2) explosions at pipeline sites and a gas terminal built in the past five years.

I am not in the stone age, but on the front lines of the fracking boom. Do not try to placate me with anecdotes as I am living in reality here.
Where's this at?
Columbiana county, Ohio. Right where Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio come together. The earthquakes are happening in Mahoning County, immediately to my north. The pipeline explosions are happening right here in Columbiana county in Damascus, Ohio and Hanoverton, Ohio.

No. The explosion in 2013 that WAS directly related to cracking.

Very few problems.

Where's this at?

No. The explosion in 2013 that WAS directly related to cracking.

In the past year, there have been two homes in the Chicago land area that blew up due to the devices attached to the pipes. What the heck is your point?

Last edited:
I can not find any article related to a fracking explosion.

But, is Pennsylvania not where the USA first discovered oil. Seems there are hazards to living where the oil comes from. Maybe if we drilled offshore, in California and in the Gulf of Mexico we would not need the gas in your basement. Hopefully you did not vote Democrat bringing this upon yourself.

You could move to California and be free of the gas.

Would anyone venture to guess what would happen if you detonated a 29 kiloton nuclear device at the bottom of a 4,200 ft. well?

Would it fracture all the way up to the fresh water zone?

Frac jobs are a pin prick compared to an explosion of that magnitude.

So what's your guess?

Mr. H has said that he is part of the industry. His opinion is subjective at best.

any deniers want to try to dispute what wqas written in the OP.

FYI: thats how forums work, I post a sourced investigation & you people are supposed to refute it using non-tinfoil sources. Got it?

After Times Beach, MO, Love Canal, NY, and Anniston, AL, the right wing still calls for the abolition of the USEPA. How much damage has to be done there or in Oak Ridge, TN, Donora, PA, or Calverton, NY before the right wing gets it?

Perhaps if some of the Conservatives who cannot smell a benzene spill, but certainly can smell a stack of hundred dollar bills, could invest in their residential property right here within he sight of a hazardous waste incinerator, the first commercial nuclear power plant in the country, an oil refinery and several cracked wells. I think their at rude is 80% profit over health and 20% not in my backyard. They are essentially armchair Capitalists devoid of risk and cheering for profit as if they are watching the Rose Bowl game.

You are conflating a lot of things here that an Enviro Engineer shouldn't be confused about. In the first paragraph, you list OakRidge and Calverton and then go after "money sniffers" and "dirty capitalists" in the 2nd paragraph. Oakridge is part of the FED GOVT severe problem at it's nuclear WEAPONS plants, like Savannah River and Hanford. The WORST nuclear pollution in the country is on the dirty hands of Uncle Sam -- not the power industry. And Calverton was part and parcel of the Military Industry as well.

Then you lump a "toxic waste incinerator", a commercial nuclear plant, and some fossil fuel sites together as tho ALL OF THOSE represent the same threat and the same "dirty capitalism".. Who was the spark that PUT a "toxic waste incinerator" in that vicinity? Was it a Fortune 500 company? Who signed off on that decision? Facts say, the nuclear plant shouldn't even be in your horror litany. (if it wasn't over 50 yrs old).

There is no pressing emergency for nuclear waste storage OUTSIDE of the Fed Govt irresponsible response to ITs OWN pollution. Same for military contractors and military bases and govt owned antique coal facilities in their TVA and other holdings.

It's a nice story that this is about greedy capitalists, till you actually prioritize and triage the response and mitigation..

Forum List

Back